Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 23-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Tarn_M (Tarn)

Another AP beginner gear advice thread

Hey guys,

I'm another rookie looking for a bit of starting up equipment advice.

Have been interested in space and astronomy since I was a kid but up until recently I haven't had the time (or money) to get involved.
Really keen on astrophotography and whilst I find the photos of the moon/planets fascinating and would like to do some imaging of them, I think my real interest would be DSOs.

Currently have no equipment other than a Nikon D3400 with pretty standard beginner lenses (18-55mm, 55-200mm). The last few weeks I've had a play around with just my camera/tripod, taking some milky way shots and ended up more fixated on the orion nebula (only got a small blurry outline but was enough to get me hooked).

Starting budget is about $2k for now, and while I toyed around with idea of getting an 8 or 10" dob (for more bang for my buck) I think I'd end up just trying to take photos of DSOs and becoming frustrated.

After reading around online, it seems to be general consensus is to get a decent mount first and upgrade scope later. Inspired by Martin (startreks) post on Crater101s thread I've been looking at a getting a HEQ5 Pro and a cheap 6 or 8" newt.

Something like http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/teles...to_HEQ5_8.html (seems a good price and I'm based in Brisbane) or the Bintel version.

Does this seem like a reasonable start? Probably with a plan to upgrade scope in the next 6-12 months. Am I going to regret not waiting 6 months and getting a eq 6 off the bat (and getting a cheap 8" dob to scratch the itch in the meantime)?

Thanks for your input!
Old 23-08-2020, 07:54 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

I reckon current plan of heq5pro with 6" or 8" newt on top is a great one And I don't think the 6" is a lesser option at all. Lots of DSOs will benefit from the slightly wider FOV and will be a slightly easier job for the mount.

For what its worth, I'm 4months in and started with the above with 8" option. I'm happy with that choice and I don't think I'll be getting rid of either the mount or scope anytime soon.

Perhaps factor in a coma corrector off the bat as well? It didn't take me long to notice and be bothered by the coma in my images. Baader mpcc seems a popular choice and gets the job done.
Old 23-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Some good advice
General rule of thumb for Long Exposure Astrophotography Payload is 60% of the maximum payload of the mount
A HEQ5 mount has a maximum payload capacity of 13kg so when used for long exposure Astrophotography the recommended payload would be 8 to 9kg
A 6” f5 newt alone weighs around 6kg
A 6” f6 newt alone weighs around 6.5kg
A 8” f5 newt alone weighs around 8.5kg
Remember you have to add your Astrophotography imaging equipment , guiding equipment , dew control and other misc items ( can add up to 3kg to 4 kg)
So based on my experience with all the above newts your safest bet with the least amount of trouble would be to use the HEQ5 mount with either a 6” f5 newt or 6” f6 newt.
My 8” f5 newt sits on a larger capacity EQ6-R mount at a AP payload of 15kg , way to much for the smaller HEQ5 mount
Yes you can put an 8” f5 newt on a HEQ5 mount ( a lot of folk do ) but you need to ensure balance is perfect , conditions are good and no wind around , in other words there’s no margin for error and being a rank beginner I strongly recommend either of the 6” newts
Here’s a few images I took this week with my 6” f6 newt in light polluted Sydney to show you what a 6” newt is capable of with the right imaging gear
Hope the above helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (953C8A5A-368C-45C8-BC40-3A9B1DD85EE5.jpg)
213.0 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (9025BA96-3562-439F-B602-37B7CA576236.jpg)
220.3 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (D4A50D33-B69B-4D5F-89B2-466A56B417F2.jpg)
199.1 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (6C45B434-5DC3-4A5D-B3D9-924307696D0F.jpg)
194.9 KB29 views
Old 23-08-2020, 10:54 PM
RyanJones

I’ll second Martin’s advice. I am currently one of the folk he talks about that runs an 8” Newtonian on a HEQ5 pro. It is absolutely possible but it isn’t easy and it has taken a long time and some pretty serious efforts to get it to the point where I can image reliably on it. I don’t regret buying the 8” but I’d heavily sway you towards the 6” given you are new to the game. It will save you a lot of headaches.
Old 24-08-2020, 09:43 AM
sunslayr (David)

Sirius will get you there just under 2k
Old 24-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Tarn_M (Tarn)

Thanks guys! Some super helpful advice. Will definitely steer clear of 8" on that mount! Those photos look amazing!

Is this the coma corrector you were referring to JP? https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ba...v=322b26af01d5

Looks like good option from sirius!

I guess the question is do I want to wait a bit and spend another 1k to get a mount that can handle something a bit bigger...
Old 24-08-2020, 08:28 PM
RyanJones

If you’re anything like the rest of us, what you have will never be enough. That can be a bigger scope, a better mount, a dedicated cooled camera ..... the lost goes on. Yes you could wait to get a 6 but you’ve got to start somewhere and the HEQ5 is no slouch of a mount to cut your teeth on.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:39 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarn_M View Post
Thanks guys! Some super helpful advice. Will definitely steer clear of 8" on that mount! Those photos look amazing!

Is this the coma corrector you were referring to JP? https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ba...v=322b26af01d5

Looks like good option from sirius!

I guess the question is do I want to wait a bit and spend another 1k to get a mount that can handle something a bit bigger...
Yep, thats the one

If there is the possibility of another grand floating around I'd be thinking about a guiding set up, or even a cooled OSC camera... second hand 183mc pros are around, people seem to be upgrading to the 2600 and offloading them second hand. They're small enough to be postable
Old 25-08-2020, 10:12 PM
Tarn_M (Tarn)

Thanks JP! I guess that’s true, there’s always a bigger and better looking mode. I better go with the HEQ5 and 6”, so there’s some money left over to buy all these extras I’m going to want (need )
Old 25-08-2020, 10:36 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Tarn,
Id agree everyone here with the 6" and the HEQ5. Its exactly what I use and it has served me well with my trusty Canon 450D.
A coma corrector is a must unless you like cropping all the edges off your images.
I use a guider now but with good polar alignment you can take 90 second to two minute subs and then stack.
Here's a few unguided images I took a while ago.

Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m42-Redux2.jpg)
197.1 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (pleiades3.jpg)
197.4 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (southern pinwheel 002.jpg)
202.0 KB39 views
Old 25-08-2020, 11:41 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
Hi Tarn,
Id agree everyone here with the 6" and the HEQ5. Its exactly what I use and it has served me well with my trusty Canon 450D.
A coma corrector is a must unless you like cropping all the edges off your images.
I use a guider now but with good polar alignment you can take 90 second to two minute subs and then stack.
Here's a few unguided images I took a while ago.

Cheers
Andy

I dont want to derail this thread, but that is a very classy bunch of pics! Unguided!? Very, very awesome, Andy!
Old 26-08-2020, 06:59 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
I dont want to derail this thread, but that is a very classy bunch of pics! Unguided!? Very, very awesome, Andy!
Well thank you!!
Just showing what can be done with simple gear and a whole lot of advice from these very forums!!
Ive only been guiding and been connected to a PC for about 10 months now.
Before that it was straight to a SD card and using an intervalometer to take subs.

Cheers
Andy
Old 26-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Tarn_M (Tarn)

Amazing photos Andy! Hopefully I can get there eventually.. Coma corrector definitely on the list too.
Is the Orion mini auto guider package a reasonable beginners guide setup?
Old 26-08-2020, 07:53 PM
neurosis3000 (Reggie)

Those are amazing pics! Especially unguided!