ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-01-2020, 11:14 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Eta Carinae - RGB with L-enhance

Hi guys,

Been a while since I last posted any of my images. I have been struggling with processing images taken through the Optolong L-enhance filter and the resulting colour balance.

But this is my first try at adding "Narrowband" data as a luminance layer to an RGB image.

I converted the Narrowband image to black and white and just used it as a luminance layer.

I did try copying the data from each individual channel but was not happy with the result.

This comprises the following subs:

35x 2min - 800 ISO RGB Data
19x 5min - 800 ISO with L-enhance Filter.

Total exposure time = 2hr 45min.

So the luminance layer is not 100% perfectly aligned and this is also the cause of the weird framing of the shot. Will rectify that with my next set of data. But I do welcome any comments or criticism. I feel like I have finally made progress with the filter and my processing is definitely improving.

I have attached my old image of this object for comparison.
It should be right around 12 months difference between shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eta Carinae - RGB data with 1hr35min narrowband as luminance@0,25x.jpg)
203.7 KB93 views
Click for full-size image (Eta Carinae - 33min @ 60sec After Mod.jpg)
200.7 KB72 views
Old 20-01-2020, 01:35 PM
casstony

Looks very nice Aaron. I use the L-Enhance too and don't worry too much about the colour balance.
Old 20-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Looks very nice Aaron. I use the L-Enhance too and don't worry too much about the colour balance.
Everything seems to just be very red in my images with the filter. There is not alot of blue/ green coming through that OIII bandpass.

I assume that's pretty normal as most objects are generally pretty light on the OIII emission?

It's quite difficult to get a "Natural" look to an image with this filter. Although it does block the moon and light pollution brilliantly.
Old 20-01-2020, 10:46 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Aaron..you have every reason to be proud of your result. I give you top marks.
Please keep produceing your encouraging results.
Alex
Old 20-01-2020, 11:21 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Thanks Alex.

I have had a bit of a reprocess to try and get a more natural colour to the image.

This is what I have so far. Still think I can improve and given the weather here doesn't allow for any imaging of late, I'll have plenty of time on my hands to keep playing in photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (All Data - RGB & Filter@0,25x.jpg)
203.1 KB44 views
Old 21-01-2020, 12:02 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

One is important and you can have so much fun playing with Photoshop.
Try the dodge and burn tool..takes a while to be subtle but as you say time is supporting you. I find those tools can make a silk purse out of the pig's ear... maybe the good guys will say that is cheating but hey..what is photo shop for..to get the best from what you have.
Alex
Old 21-01-2020, 07:08 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Arron,
A great image to be proud of. Lots of fine details and quite sharp from edge to edge. The colour is one of those subjective things and with Eta Car its always red or pink but how much?
I'm in the middle of processing an image I took on Saturday night and have the same colour issues in what is natural.
Anyway keep up those images.

Cheers
Andy
Old 21-01-2020, 10:30 PM
bgilbert (Barry gilbert)
barryg

Good job Aaron

. Sharp across the whole image plane.

I have attached an image of the keyhole neb. I would like your comments on the colour, because I have been criticized for the green content. I used a Pentax K1 with natural daylight colour settings, 5000K. I believed that if I had a fast enough telescope, that through an eyepiece this Is what I might see. The only processing was done in DSS, Increased saturation (probably too much).

Cheers
Barry
Old 22-01-2020, 12:28 AM
bgilbert (Barry gilbert)
barryg

. Could not attach in previous post??
. Eta carina
eta carina copy_WPS PDF convert.zip

Cheers
Barry
Old 22-01-2020, 12:59 AM
bgilbert (Barry gilbert)
barryg

. Try this attachment;

Click image for larger version

Name:	2fff31021f894992891aced276edef35_1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	254715

cheers
Barry
Old 22-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Hi Barry,

The colour in your image seems fine. I think with more exposure time the darker green will lighten up. I think the darkness is due to using what I assume to be a long Focal Length scope with that field of view.

Add a few more subs to the stack and I think it will lighten to a bluish colour which from other images I see online is what that central area around the keyhole is meant to be.

But if you were to see the colour of that nebula in a scope visually, I imagine it would appear greenish in colour. A bit like Orion's nebula does. Although that begs the question, are there any nebula's out there we can discern colour in other than Orion? I've heard with a big enough scope people have seen the slightest tinge of pink in Orion. Although all I get through my dob is a greenish hue.
Old 26-01-2020, 11:37 AM
RyanJones

Hi Aaron,

A really nice image there, more so in your second processing attempt. If I can give you a tip when processing with this filter ? I used an STC Duo which is essentially the same sort of filter. Processing the image combined is very difficult to do to achieve natural balance. I spent a long time struggling with it. Then I found a separate channel processing tutorial on Astrobackyard on YouTube. If you are using photoshop like me, I haven’t found a better technique yet. Give it a go and let me know what you think. You’ve got some really nice data there to work with so congratulations and well done.
Old 27-01-2020, 06:02 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

What an improvement from your pre-filter version. Well done!