Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-01-2020, 02:59 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

One Year of Processing Progress

Hi all,

Since the smoke is still hanging around, as well as the much needed showers, I thought I'd go back and look at my old data.

I decided to have a go at reprocessing my first DSO image of M42 taken back in October 2018. I used my WO Star 71 and Canon 550D on the HEQ5 before I had worked out guiding. The image consisted of 5 hours of 60s subs, unguided and with the camera sensor reading 30C according to BYEOS.

At the time all I really knew how to do was use levels and curves in photoshop, I had no idea about noise reduction or masks etc. The first image below was the best I could achieve at the time.

Yesterday I decided to have a crack at reprocessing the image from the ground up using PixInsight. Now it is far from perfect, I couldn't save the blown out core for instance but I assume I'd need some much shorter subs and some HDR for that. It is much better than the original attempt though, look at all that dust that was just hiding in the noise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (original_overstretched.jpg)
203.8 KB101 views
Click for full-size image (final_02_nohdr.jpg)
149.7 KB94 views
Old 15-01-2020, 03:02 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Sorry, but the original is more representative of the actual colours.

You'll need either more data, or to blend / layer in differently stretched versions.

Left is perfectly fine for the amount of data, whereas the right is pushed way too far.
Old 15-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Left is definitely my favourite of the two

It’s a very natural representation
Old 15-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Okay, so it appears that when I saved it as a tiff to open in photoshop I left it at the default 32 bit, which in my PS at least causes the image to blow out the highlights and saturation when opened, not sure why. I didn't notice I just opened, resized and saved. So that image got posted to astrobin and instagram as well, oh well. On a phone it doesn't look so bad. I've just found the resample process in PixInsight so hopefully that won't happen again.

But since I was resaving it anyway, I took the advice above and massively toned back my contrast adjustments, mostly the saturation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (minimal.jpg)
166.5 KB63 views
Old 15-01-2020, 07:18 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Paul,
A great image with sharp stars and good data.
Hope you don't mind but I just shifted the black point a bit and a slight curve adjustment in PS. but thats my personal preference.
If you have some shorter subs you can use a mask in the core area to balance it out a bit but other than that its a really good image.
Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Paulymans image.jpg)
192.9 KB52 views
Old 15-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It’s definitely better but I still prefer the original myself. It looks more natural.
I think it’s what the HDRTransformation tool does, I’ve had the same issue with my own versions of M42. I’ve been playing around with PixelMath trying to solve the issue and I’m getting close to a fix which involves some mathematical masking between a more heavily stretched image and another that’s not overly stretched but shows the bright core well.

http://www.chart32.de/images/objects...M42/M42_80.jpg

The link above shows what I’m trying to achieve, it retains accurate colour and fine contrast. It looks flat but not artificially
Old 16-01-2020, 01:29 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I also prefer the look of the original, but, I cab see what you mean about the dust hiding in the noise.

Philip
Old 17-01-2020, 05:09 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

As the others have expressed your original M42 has a more natural look but I do like how you've been able to eliminate the the noise and reveal the surrounding dust in your updated version. It's a good thing to process old data as we progress because we learn many new tricks along the way and software improves as well which can really make a difference. Nice work on producing a cleaner result.
Old 18-01-2020, 04:14 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
Okay, so it appears that when I saved it as a tiff to open in photoshop I left it at the default 32 bit, which in my PS at least causes the image to blow out the highlights and saturation when opened, not sure why. I didn't notice I just opened, resized and saved. So that image got posted to astrobin and instagram as well, oh well. On a phone it doesn't look so bad. I've just found the resample process in PixInsight so hopefully that won't happen again.

But since I was resaving it anyway, I took the advice above and massively toned back my contrast adjustments, mostly the saturation.
Hi Paul

I think your new image looks great
The difference in signal to noise between both images is certainly noticeable and you've really managed to draw out those fine wisps of gas in your most recent attempt.

Well done, I'd say the past 12 months have definitely been worth it.

Cheers
Evan
Old 18-01-2020, 05:19 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Thanks for the comments all. So it appears my noise reduction skills have improved but my skills with colour management have not. So gives me an area to work on. More data will always help but who knows when in the near future that will happen.
Old 26-01-2020, 11:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Paul

I think you are making wonderful progress.

Clearly you are able to manage the software..that is the first part...the results may go up and down but I believe it is only by pushing the boundaries that you can learn...my stuff is at the cartoon stage..I know that..but at least my efforts gives me greater skills pushing an image...maybe not perf ct but better for me..that is the only thing that is important. I may not be the best but do the best I can do...

And really that is what it is about...my stuff comes from very short exposures unguided etc but hopefully in time the skills of pushing the software will help when I improve on a variety of projects ....from guiding to camera control...better processing control..addition of darks and flats and darks for the flats etc...and fare I day etc.
I like both images..perhaps the second (first post) mostly cause I know that you have tried so hard. Natural??? What is that? It's a rendition only and the best image can never show an agreed upon reality...even Hubble pre define colour..no problems to redefine colour in my book...it's what I see in an image that is important...not anything else.
Finally..the final image..in my view..is an expression of how you have done it... colour is in my view a place to play it anyway you want..given the width of the EMS surely anything goes...look at the "no star" approach that seems to be favoured...I can't respect critism of anything from folk who can eliminate stars and ignore the artistic element...you have done well that's all you need to focus upon.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 26-01-2020 at 11:59 AM.