Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 05-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Max Kilmister

The Sky 6 and Skywatcher Mounts

I have used The Sky 6 with an Astro-Physics mount for years but have downsized to an HEQ5 Pro mount and would like to continue with The Sky 6. Has anyone managed this combination? Skywatcher mounts are not listed in the drop down list of mounts. It was suggested that I use the Celestron Nexstar (non GPS) from the list but that doesn't seem to work. Any advice?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I used The Sky with an EQ6 for a couple of years, it’s pretty easy. You need EQMOD which runs through ASCOM.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Just some helpful info.....
To eliminate possible connection issues , when deciding to use EQMOD via cabled connection to mount , choose “eq direct method” of connection with a shoestring cable ( from Shoestring Astronomy ) from PC direct to mounts hand controller port.The relevant Virtual Com Port ( VCP) driver for the FTDI chip must be downloaded and installed to enable cable to handshake between PC and mount ( this is found on the Shoestring Astronomy website )
Good luck !!
Old 05-12-2019, 04:54 PM
brisen (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kilmister View Post
I have used The Sky 6 with an Astro-Physics mount for years but have downsized to an HEQ5 Pro mount and would like to continue with The Sky 6. Has anyone managed this combination? Skywatcher mounts are not listed in the drop down list of mounts. It was suggested that I use the Celestron Nexstar (non GPS) from the list but that doesn't seem to work. Any advice?
Hi Max

The Sky will work with the mount, as Colin said you need to select ASCOM from the mount set up option. EQMOD is needed as well if you go down this road or alternatively you can run the mount wirelessly if you have the sky watcher wifi dongle. This is now compatible with ASCOM and can be used to pulse guide as well. I have been using this approach for nearly a year with the Sky X and EQ8 and had better connectivity then I was getting with EQMOD.

Brian
Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Max Kilmister

Thanks guys. I seems that I should purchase a Shoestring Astronomy USB2EQ5 cable and the virtual COM port to replace the mount's hand controller. I will proceed down that route. (Life with the Astro-Physics GTO/MaxIm/The Sky 6 was so much simpler, or so it seems.) I have downloaded Sequence Generator for imaging with the ZWO ASI294 camera I have bought as my MaxIm v3.04 won't control the ZWO cameras and to upgrade Maxim is not cost-effective. But I could still use MaxIm for autoguiding. I will be selling my Takahashi TOA 130 and SBIG 11000 camera (just serviced by SBIG).