Old 04-01-2020, 04:08 PM
RyanJones

Orion so far

Hi all,

Here is my first session on the Orion Nebula. I’m reasonably happy with what I have so far. My guiding seems to be performing well with nice round stars and given it’s a DSLR in summer months I’m happy with the noise too. It’s lacking a bit of colour but that will come with more subs. I could have really pulled back on the core but I thought I’d leave a fairly natural balance with the feint nebulosity. At least for now anyway, I may change my mind on that later....

56 x 180 sec @ iso 400
8” f/4 imaging Newtonian
HEQ5 pro w/ Rowan belt mod
ASIair guiding only ZWO 120mm
Bortle 8 skies

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (5EBCA4D1-C612-40B0-8507-6DFC89947C75.jpg)
168.7 KB251 views

Last edited by RyanJones; 04-01-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:53 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Getting some good nebulosity there mate
Old 05-01-2020, 05:03 PM
RyanJones

Thanks Nik. I’m looking forward to getting some more hours so I can get more detail and colour.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:27 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Really nice work, the data you have is giving some nice detail.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great first effort.
I never tire of Orion. In fact it is getting this way for me..I just want to do that one right.
I find getting the core is not easy and believe me I have been trying real hard..my last effort was 8 seconds in HA which holds promise...but I have so much data and still want more.
Hope you are well.
Alex
Old 10-01-2020, 08:50 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I really like your framing on this one Ryan. It's a nice offset from the norm. What you've captured so far looks good and will only get better with more subs. Low noise, good guiding and the wispies stuff are already present so the foundations are set for nice M42. I look forward to the end result.
Old 17-01-2020, 03:54 PM
RyanJones

Thank you Carl, Alex and Lost.

Alex - I used to target something new almost every session but now I’ve slowed right down and can spend several sessions just trying to get the best data I can to work with. This can often mean a month on one target ( weather permitting ). Bortle 8 is hard, there’s no two ways about it but I believe with patience you can still get a half decent result. It just takes a lot longer. Thanks for the encouragement.

Lost - The framing idea came from the fact that my field of view wouldn’t quite allow me to get running man in frame too so rather than center M42, I thought I’d offset it so the star field on the right would provide some sort of reference in the image. I was quite happy with how it came out too. I’m glad you liked it.
Old 17-01-2020, 04:30 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
The framing idea came from the fact that my field of view wouldn’t quite allow me to get running man in frame too so rather than center M42, I thought I’d offset it so the star field on the right would provide some sort of reference in the image. I was quite happy with how it came out too. I’m glad you liked it.
It's good, fresh and wild!. Ok maybe not wild but it's a little different from what we're used to seeing.
Old 17-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Ryan
That’s a superb M42 considering your imaging under Bortle 8 skies with a DSLR
I suspect the upper atmosphere had some fine smoke particulate as well as it’s plagued NSW and parts of VIC over the past couple of months
Like many others , I haven’t been imaging for nearly 2 months now and still patiently waiting for a clear smoke free night , I’d be happy just to image a bright star let alone a Nebula
We always want more data , but I reckon you could squeeze a little bit more out of this one as it’s so good
Well done !!
Old 18-01-2020, 05:05 PM
RyanJones

Thanks Martin. I collected a little more data last night but suffered some interesting guiding issues so there’s about another 1.5 hours out of a potential 3 but more is more. Combined with a quick and dirty play today I can see more colour in it so I’m looking forward to sitting down and having a good go processing and see if I want more on this object before I move on.
Old 20-01-2020, 12:08 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Great image Ryan,
I agree with Lost about the framing as you sort of get used to seeing M42 in a certain way and the this one comes along.
Also some nice fine details in the dust clouds and this will just get better with more subs.
You have done a tremendous job in keeping noise down considering bottle 8, Melbourne night temperature, and DLSR.
I've got bottle 1, and country coolness and still have heaps of noise.
Keep up the great work.
Cheers
Andy
Old 20-01-2020, 09:20 PM
RyanJones

Thank you Andy. I really appreciate your positive feed back. It looks like it might be clear tomorrow night so I might try and get a little more before going for a final process. Wish me luck !