Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-01-2020, 01:23 PM
casstony

Vela SNR

Still a work in progress, I've been trying to get something decent out of this data for a while. I ended up using Starnet++ to remove the stars then the Spot Heal tool in photoshop to repair the area around bright stars.

The Ha clouds and wispy OIII structures show up nicely but need more time - this is about 2 hours with the L-Enhance filter, Nikon d5600 and Sharpstar 61.

Starnet++ is for computer geeks only - I wouldn't have got it to run without help from my son
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (starless2_ABE25%.jpg)
197.6 KB120 views
Old 13-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

What's it look like with the stars in place...?

I mean, this looks good but, I dunno... absence of stars kinda looks odd to me...😁
Old 13-01-2020, 02:30 PM
casstony

Here's a starry version. All of the small stars through the image make it look too cluttered for my taste and the nebulosity is easier to process without the stars.

Leaving the bigger stars in and removing the small stars might look best but that's beyond me atm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (velaSNRngc2659_010120_ABE.b10%.jpg)
196.5 KB90 views
Old 14-01-2020, 10:55 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Here's a starry version. All of the small stars through the image make it look too cluttered for my taste and the nebulosity is easier to process without the stars.

Leaving the bigger stars in and removing the small stars might look best but that's beyond me atm.
Yeah, I dunno... (helpful aren't I)...

I do like the one with stars but, can see your point about it looking cluttered, even dare I say, possibly noisy with all the little stars in it, yep..

Mate, I'm in no position to be critical or advise on what does or doesn't look right or how to remove one without the other... due to (pick a reason/excuse/whatever), I haven't imaged in a long time & won't get the chance until at least Feb, if I get a clear night & if I can get everything up & running... (new mount, new power distribution box, hell... & just because I enjoy a challenge.. I'll throw the Vixen Newt into it as I haven't imaged with that yet... LOL)

Hopefully someone with more skills (not that hard) than me in processing will chime in with how to remove only the small stars because, I agree that the bigger stars would really look nice with that beautiful nebulosity...

Cheers
Old 14-01-2020, 11:31 PM
casstony

Criticism, comments, etc is fine Carlton - stars vs starless is bound to be controversial. This is a tough target for OSC.
I'd like to beef up the nebulosity if we get a clear night. Hopefully the couple inches of rain on the way will dampen the fires and smoke.
Old 14-01-2020, 11:36 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

I have to say, stars, no stars.. the whispy nebulosity is awesome Tony...

I'm hoping to have a crack at Horsehead once I can get back up & running, hopefully with guiding too...

Have to say, Horsehead is one of my favourites to look at so, can't wait to image it...

I'm sure I will get to the trickier stuff in time.... one day... maybe...
Old 15-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

I prefer it with stars, but I agree the smaller ones are dominating the field a bit. The great thing about starnet++, in PixInsight anyway, I assume it's the same for the main program, is you can use it to create a star mask after a minimal stretch and then subtract this from your image to produce the starless image. I prefer this way as it is quicker and you get the stars and the starless image to work on independently. I then work on the starless image and add the stars back right at then end, giving me much tighter stars with better colour.

Edit - I see that since the starless jpg mentions ABE you have PI, there is a starnet++ module for PI: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sta...nsight_module/

It works brilliantly and is very easy to add to PI.

Last edited by Paulyman; 15-01-2020 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added starnet++ link for PI
Old 16-01-2020, 04:37 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Really nice pic with a D6500.

I tried this object two years ago from a dark location near Parkes NSW with the Canon 6D + 70-300L and Astronomik UHC-S filter, but not that good.

I'll try again soon (in Feb I'll visit down under again).
Old 16-01-2020, 12:09 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
Edit - I see that since the starless jpg mentions ABE you have PI, there is a starnet++ module for PI: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sta...nsight_module/

It works brilliantly and is very easy to add to PI.
Thanks for that Paul, I'll check it out.
Old 16-01-2020, 12:14 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Really nice pic with a D6500.

I tried this object two years ago from a dark location near Parkes NSW with the Canon 6D + 70-300L and Astronomik UHC-S filter, but not that good.

I'll try again soon (in Feb I'll visit down under again).
The filter makes all the difference. NB is best and broadband really doesn't work. It seems that the L-Enhance or STC Duo do a decent job but maybe the UHC is still a bit too broad?
Old 16-01-2020, 01:04 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Full of stars version by far the best.

Tony, just a note of something I've seen in many of your images - all are black clipped. Back off the left side of the curve a fair bit. You are not only hiding extra detail in black clipping, but the sky looks unnaturally black. See the attached Photoshop analysis - the curve should be visible as a bell curve on both sides, but here you can see the blacks (left side) are heavily clipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (clipVELASNR.jpg)
199.0 KB21 views
Old 16-01-2020, 01:34 PM
casstony

I plan to add a few more hours to this image so I'll keep that in mind next time Lewis. I only use lights and have a tendency to clip to varying degrees to reduce noise.
Old 16-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Astronut07 (Ben)

Tony

Amazing image!!
Just a question regarding Filter
Where did you purchase the L-enhance filter from?

Cheers
Ben
Old 16-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Both images are excellent but I'm also a stars fan
Old 16-01-2020, 05:52 PM
casstony

Thanks Nik and Ben. I got the L-Enhance filter from Cyclops Optics which was the cheapest at the time of purchase.
Old 17-01-2020, 04:25 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Do both options like Paul suggested and you can always cheat a little and dim the smaller stars if you think it looks too busy (see below). Sorry but I couldn't help myself and just had to have a play around. There's a loss in sharpness but the smaller stars are more subdued. You've got great data to work with already and with more subs it'll be rock'n.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Vela_SNR_Stars_Example.jpg)
137.7 KB23 views