Old 13-01-2020, 09:05 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Greenwich APOTY opens soon

Hard to believe it's been a year, but shortly Royal Greenwich will launch their 2020 competition.

I see the rules have been clarified somewhat:

Photos that have been published in other competitions.

If you have entered your Images into a competition which might publish it and are waiting for the results, please do not enter it into the competition –

It is not eligible. Examples of ineligible competitions and publications include The World at Night (TWAN), BBC Sky at Night Magazine, Sky and Telescope Magazine, etc. Please note that Images that have won prizes in other competitions are eligible as long as the Images has not been published"

If you want to enter the CWAS/Malins, and it wins something, they have now made it pretty clear the same image will be ineligible at Greenwich.
Old 13-01-2020, 10:08 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’ve been looking through my images for the past few months and I don’t think anything of mine is worthy of submitting
Old 14-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I’ve been looking through my images for the past few months and I don’t think anything of mine is worthy of submitting
I have bugger-all to submit to any comp at present. Between the weather, moon phase and perpetual smoke from the fires (I note, Australian bushfire smoke now circles the entire planet...) it's been a tragic imaging season in too many ways.
Old 16-01-2020, 09:18 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post

If you want to enter the CWAS/Malins, and it wins something, they have now made it pretty clear the same image will be ineligible at Greenwich.

If you have entered your Images into a competition which might publish it and are waiting for the results, please do not enter it into the competition –

I was re-reading the rules of the Greenwich (RMG) contest this morning particularly how it relates to the DMA.

Because the RMG contest is open now, and I haven't actually entered anything to DMA as yet (because it's not open), then by my reckoning I am not breaking their rules, as I have not entered any images to another competition and I am not waiting for results. (yet)

What do people think about that ?
Old 16-01-2020, 01:20 PM
gregbradley

Funny Kelvin.

Not making offence, just found it funny that there is search for loopholes!

I have had to remove my scopes and take them elsewhere due to actual direct bushfire threats that have no stopped.

I did go to my dark site but the bushfire smoke was so bad I did not want to expose my lovely optics to potential staining.

I did get one night though that was nice and clear.

Slim pickings really.

Greg.
Old 16-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
I was re-reading the rules of the Greenwich (RMG) contest this morning particularly how it relates to the DMA.

Because the RMG contest is open now, and I haven't actually entered anything to DMA as yet (because it's not open), then by my reckoning I am not breaking their rules, as I have not entered any images to another competition and I am not waiting for results. (yet)

What do people think about that ?
It's pretty simple, it you enter CWAS and win (winning images get published), you'll need to withdraw the entry from Greenwich.

But, if you don't do any good at CWAS, the ROG judges may still give you a gong and there will be no "publishing" problem.
Old 17-01-2020, 07:52 PM
andyc (Andy)

The other thing I found from last year was that the shortlisting announcement for APY was well before the deadline of DMA, so I could find out which images were not shortlisted. So if DMA is your thing, you can enter your non-shortlisted images...
Old 18-01-2020, 12:45 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Funny Kelvin.

Not making offence, just found it funny that there is search for loopholes!

Greg.

No offence taken Greg - I'm just disappointed that I get to take a couple of once in a lifetime photos that I can only enter into one competition. (I've never entered any competition before so the rules are all new to me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
It's pretty simple, it you enter CWAS and win (winning images get published), you'll need to withdraw the entry from Greenwich.

But, if you don't do any good at CWAS, the ROG judges may still give you a gong and there will be no "publishing" problem.

That makes good sense Peter - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
The other thing I found from last year was that the shortlisting announcement for APY was well before the deadline of DMA, so I could find out which images were not shortlisted. So if DMA is your thing, you can enter your non-shortlisted images...
I'm trying to figure this out Andy ... Deadline for DMA 2019 was May 31st and shortlist for APY was made public June 18. Or were you notified personally well before the shortlist was made public ?
Old 23-01-2020, 03:14 PM
andyc (Andy)

Calvin - yes, I knew in April that I'd been shortlisted, had to keep it under my hat for a while until the public announcement! But I guess they may not contact unlucky people, so you may not know for sure (unless you're lucky!)?