Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-08-2009, 01:46 AM
ck93

CCD Camera (HELP)

Hi, i am trying to find a good CCD camera. I use a DSLR but it is terrible because i need to look through the camera to see what i am looking at, it is really in-convenient because i have an ED120 telescope, on an EQ5 goto mount, and when i have the camera attached it is almost down to the ground. This is why i would like a CCD camera.

I am looking towards spending between $1500 and $2500 for a cooled CCD and i have no idea what to get, i was told to go for an SBIG one. All i want is for it to take great imaged which i can blow up and frame, work with windows VISTA and i want to take lots of pictures and stack them using registax, i don't know how to use registax but that is a whole new thread. I am reasonably new to astrophotography but i am willing to learn. Has anyone got any ideas on a cooled CCD camera and where to buy them from?

Thanks
Old 24-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Can't you capture and view images from your DSLR on your laptop ? Just get mike to make you a mask and take 1-5 second exposures of a star to focus from your laptop. You can send me the $2K
Old 24-08-2009, 07:09 AM
gbeal

CK,
even a CCD will be "almost down to the ground".
Try the DSLR, it is somewhat easier, and a great way to learn. "Cooled CCD's" are not much different to the humble DSLR and you already have what is required. Send Robin half and me the other half, $1K each, LOL.
Gary
Old 24-08-2009, 07:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi and to IceInSpace!

The DSLR will do just what you need - but you just need to control it via your computer/laptop rather than at the camera itself which I agree, is a pain to try and squint through the viewfinder and look at the LCD display.

What you need is software like ImagesPlus (and others), which allow you to control the camera from the laptop. You can use it to focus, and to take short and long exposures, and download the images directly to your laptop. You may need a special cable or two to control the camera, and maybe a different one to take long exposures - it depends on the camera.

Cheers
Old 24-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Here are some suggestions to help with focusing:
1. Make sure the tripod legs are fully extended so the camera is not so close to the ground.
2. Focus on a bright star with a Bahtinov mask before you go to your intended target. Make sure it is in the center of the image.
3. Memorise the keys on the camera to zoom into the image to check the focus.

Before you get an Astro CCD, here are some things to achieve first:
1. Practice polar alignment
2. Make or buy a Bahtinov mask
3. Get an infared remote control for the DSLR (or figure out how to control it from your laptop)
4. Stack the images with DeepSky Stacker
5. Figure out how to control your mount from a laptop and something like Stellarium and perhaps EQMOD
6. Get a guidescope working with PHD. You need to be able to guide properly so the stars are nice and round. No point having a nice astro CCD camera if the stars are all egg shaped!

After you master all these things, then you are ready for a dedicated Astro CCD. The QHY8 is a popular model.
Old 24-08-2009, 10:54 AM
ck93

Thank you all for the quick replies, it is so helpful, this is my first time on here so i am new but i have been reading a lot of threads. I have an older DSLR, it is a Nikkon D50, thats why i was complaining about where is sits when it is mounted on my scope, because i have to look through the viewfinder. I have not worked out if it can be controlled by my laptop, i went to a shop and they said that it cannot that is why i wanted to get a CCD camera.

Robin and Gary i will not be sending you money, hahaha....great try though. James how do you control your mount from your laptop? what software do i need? I have an EQ5pro goto mount. I am thinking about piggybacking a guide scope because i already have the orion starshoot autoguider. Im not sure if i can get an infrered remote for my dinosaur camera. This is why i wanted a cooled CCD camera, because my DSLR is not convenient for using on my telescope. So it was either a new DSLR or a cooled CCD camera.

Thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it, you are a great help. Like i said im a begginner so i love feedback,
Old 24-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Hey don't go calling my camera a dinosaur! (I use a Nikon D50 too)

It is ture that you can't control it from a laptop. You have a buy an Infrared remote control if you want to take exposures over 30 sec in duration. You can view images on your laptop if you connect it via a USB cable, but I have found it to be unreliable. You can buy the remote control on eBay, but don't bother with the rip off ones, get a genuine Nikon one.

If you already have a guide camera then you are almost there equipment wise. You just need to get a guide scope & rings (or side by side plate) etc.

This is what I use to control the mount from my laptop:
1. A cable. There is a special cable that has USB on one end and a serial type plug for the mount on the other end. I got mine here. It replaces the hand controller.
2. EQMOD software (+ ASCOM drivers software)
3. Stellarium Software
4. Stellarium Scope Software.
5. Wireless joystick to control the mount. Eg Logitech Cordless RumblePad
6. Nikon driver software to allow you to view NEF format files. Deep Sky Stacker can read the Nikon raw NEF files.

plus PHD for guiding.

I recommend to set this up and test it inside the house on a cloudy night before heading outside...

Don't forget to set the camera to :
1. "Raw + Basic" mode
2. Something like 800 ISO.
3. "M" (manual) this allows it to work without a Nikon lens attached
4. "B" bulb mode to allow long exposures over 30 sec
5. Press the small button near the shutter 3 times to activate the wireless detection thing.

Good luck and don't forget to show us your images!
Old 24-08-2009, 01:21 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

As a small add-on comment, one of the niceties about controlling things from a lappie at the mount is that you can run a simple LAN (Cat 5, or even wireless if you trust it) back inside your house and control the Laptop via your desktop (presuming you have one!) from there on cold/mozzie nights, including seeing the lappie screen and moving the scope. Windows XP Pro 'Remote Desktop' will do it, although there's plenty of other programs around as well.

And finally, go the EQMOD route to control your mount. You can also buy the USB to serial cable in Oz for about $45 here:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ftdi-...ter-cable.html, although you'll have to put the appropriate connector on the mount end. I'm sure IIS will help you there.

My 2c

Last edited by mldee; 24-08-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 24-08-2009, 02:46 PM
ck93

Thank you so much James, you are helpful, and Mike. Everyone is so helpful on here. I am going to try and get the DSLR working right but im still leaning towards the CCD only because my DSLR will not connect to my laptop easily. It was my birthday on the weekend and i really wanted to treat myself. I am going out to Bintelshop today to buy their special Oriod guidescope package they have on sale to mount on top of my ED120. I am slowly getting there but it is a process i am willing to take. But like i said i am still up in the air as to what CCD to get. My dad is getting a new DSLR in October so i am going to use his for my telescope, he is getting a really good one with live view and so i can control it from my laptop and everything so once he gets that i will be in luck.
Old 24-08-2009, 04:12 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

If you've got your heart set on a CCD camera and have $1500-$2500 to spend, then you have several options. Going the cheap end, you can grab yourself a Meade DSI III Pro for about $1300 at Bintel. I'd suggest you get the OSC (One Shot Colour) version and not the mono as it will be less frustrating for you to use first up. No fiddling with filters. Up the dearer end, and also at Bintel, is the Orion Starshoot Pro 2 camera at $2500. It's an OSC type but a lot more capable than the DSI. You could also buy a QHY8 for $2350. They're much like the Orion Starshoot.

Last edited by renormalised; 24-08-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 24-08-2009, 05:50 PM
ck93

Thank you renormalised. You are a great help. How long can i set the exposure time on the QHY8? I am leaning towards the orion and the QHY8 at the moment. I am going to get the guide scope. Because i was looking into SBIG and they are pretty expensive, they start at $3,700 which is $1000 out of my range. With the Orion and the QHY8 do you know if you are able to zoom in or out on them and focus??? Thanks for your help