Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 23-03-2020, 02:35 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I have lost 6K so far from my Super .....

So ....my wallet is now in ' Lock down ' ... not spending on anything that is not necessary.

Thought there is 1 item that will still carry on ...my ' pimping ' and restoration of my 10" Dob.

Col....

Last edited by FlashDrive; 23-03-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 23-03-2020, 02:49 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Yeah, as self funded retirees, we're the same - the "box" is getting much smaller.
Looks like we may loose $10k on a booked O'seas trip now cancelled.......
Old 23-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Wilso

Instead of canceling trips try and postpone 6 months or more if possible, a lot of businesses will try and help you out if they can.
A lot of people are in the same boat! A hard time for tourism.
Old 23-03-2020, 09:15 PM
Tandum (Robin)

We got back from Asia on the Week-end. Airasia cancelled all flights from DaNang back to Bangkok so we grabbed a Singapore Airlines flight home via Singapore instead of doing another week in Bangkok as planned. Airasia then cancelled the bangkok-brisbane flight while we were in Singapore so good move there I guess.

Stuck indoors for 2 weeks but that's no big deal really. Need to brew more beer anyway.
Old 24-03-2020, 06:07 AM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
There are at least a few more (as some female colleagues have pointed out) in this non-exhaustive list:
Knitting, quilt-making, gardening/horticulture, music (learning/playing instruments), gaming, reading and, of course, the horizontal tango.
Great list. My better half is progressing through another most stunning quilt project. I need to buy some new bright strings for the guitar (shops closed ATM). Pulled a hammy bowling on the Wii. Reading towards advanced Ham Radio licence for when they open that up again and yes, one could always spend time learning new steps for the h. tango.
Old 24-03-2020, 12:57 PM
drylander (Peter)

I have found whiskey helps avoid the virus so tasting my supplies.
Pete
Old 24-03-2020, 02:11 PM
glend (Glen)

My son has just sent me an aerial photo of the massive traffic jam at the WA, SA border. I guess they were trying to beat the border closure.

Last edited by glend; 24-03-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 24-03-2020, 06:24 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I am reminded of the ancient Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times". I believe the second part of the curse goes " May you come to the attention of those in authority".
The origins of that supposed Chinese curse, is actually late 1800s UK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_yo...eresting_times
Likely stemming from misquotations of British politician, Joseph Chamberlain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Chamberlain

I can't find points of origin for what are claimed as the second, and first parts of the curse.
"May you come to the attention of those in authority"
"May the Gods give you everything you ask for"
Old 24-03-2020, 10:20 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
The origins of that supposed Chinese curse, is actually late 1800s UK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_yo...eresting_times
Likely stemming from misquotations of British politician, Joseph Chamberlain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Chamberlain

I can't find points of origin for what are claimed as the second, and first parts of the curse.
"May you come to the attention of those in authority"
"May the Gods give you everything you ask for"
Ok, sorry I mentioned it.
Old 24-03-2020, 10:59 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
I have lost 6K so far from my Super .....

So ....my wallet is now in ' Lock down ' ... not spending on anything that is not necessary.

Thought there is 1 item that will still carry on ...my ' pimping ' and restoration of my 10" Dob.

Col....
I've lost $70k since mid February on my Super, which isn't what I needed with only a few years to retirement. Looks like I might be working an extra couple of years if I still have a job in a few months.

I tried to turn a -ve into a +ve explaining to my wife that it had gone up by $50k in the 7.5mths from 30th June to 19th February; so in reality we had only lost $20k over the position we were at in June 2019.

The thing I am really cranky at myself about is that I had an insight into the economic effects that Corona Virus would have, as the company I work for produces about 70% of its revenue with Meat Exports to China and the lock down in China from late January almost crippled us. We couldn't send any meat into China and it was all sitting on the wharves for a month. In addition all the banks in China were closed and we couldn't get paid for stock that had been delivered prior to lock down. Things started to move again in China about the first week of March, so they got over the hump pretty rapidly. I should have moved my super across to cash at that point, but when you're working 12 hour days trying to keep the business rolling, you aren't really thinking about your own super.

The other positive is that I converted to cash about 8 days ago and have the opportunity to make some gains, as I believe the market will fall a fair bit further yet; and hopefully I can buy back in at the bottom end of the market and get back to my previous point within a year or two.

Cheers
John B
Old 24-03-2020, 11:11 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Greetings from the New York tri-state area where we are headed into week 2 of lock-down, shelter in place, essential outings only.

It is odd being at home during the week (now for 10 workdays)...and with both Sons home from university “remote learning” the real battle is for quiet space to work.

Authorities here are expected to keep the “pause” in place until April 19th or so...while I am not an expert and offer no advice on investing, my opinion is there is a bit more contraction to go before we get to the bottom here. Hopefully, the recovery is V shaped.

Wish the weather would cooperate, snow yesterday and generally icky weather means no night sky viewing...guess it is back to Disney+

Be well!