Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 24-09-2019, 12:46 PM
meellor (Jack)

Using remote desktop + Intel NUC without internet

Hi Guys,

So I've recently bought an Intel NUC as opposed to forking out $150 for Parallels (only own a single Macbook Pro unfortunately) and I have had no issue controlling the NUC remotely using Windows Remote Desktop while at home and connected through my home WiFi.

I am, however, having a great deal of trouble attempting to connect to the NUC remotely when an internet connection doesn't exist (ie. out in the field).
I have bought and downloaded Connectify after reading a tonne of success stories using it, but I still can't get RDP to connect no matter what.

Does anyone have any advice or help they can offer?

Greatly appreciated,
Jack
Old 07-02-2022, 05:14 AM
DavidS (David)

Hi Jack.

Did you ever get this sorted?

David
Old 07-02-2022, 07:45 AM
AdamJL

The NUC either needs to be broadcasting its own wifi hotspot or it needs to be connected to a shared network like your mobile which you can piggy back multiple devices on.
I did the mobile thing for a while but it wasn’t perfect. Now I have a small travel router that plugs into the NUC and it broadcasts a local wifi network that the NUC and other devices connect to. No internet but internet isn’t required for this
Old 08-02-2022, 05:10 AM
DavidS (David)

Thanks Adam. Yes I’m heading down the same path with a little battery driven 4G hotspot which I disconnect from the internet. Just mucking about with fixed IP addresses at the moment so I’m not diagnosing connectivity issues in the field.

I was originally thinking of the NUC being the hotspot as my laptop seemed to have that capability ie I could find the settings - now with Win 11 and the NUC they have buried it somewhere.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:18 AM
Saturn488

You just need to run an ethernet cable from the NUC to your laptop out in the field and connect via RDP. Works a treat.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:46 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Jack have look at a program call TIGHTVPN ,I think it will let you talk to the scope /laptop direct without a wifi
Old 09-03-2022, 08:00 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I use a 12V powered wifi router when in the field and have the laptop and the imaging PC connected to that, and I use TeamViewer with "Exclusively accept LAN connections" turned on. That means no TeamViewer account required to access it and no access over the wider internet.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:47 PM
AussieSky (Greg)

I.C.D, Do you mean TIGHTVNC ?
Old 17-03-2022, 01:47 PM
higginsdj
A Lazy Astronomer

Windows networking - what a nightmare.

I use a MeLE Windows 11 Stick computer. The only way I could use RD with it in the field was to enable the Mobile Hotspot on the computer then add a couple of scripts that made sure the hotspot restarted automatically every time I turned the computer back on (since I don't run a monitor, keyboard or mouse).

I then have my iPad connect to the Computers hotspot and RD in. To give my computer internet access I connect the computers wifi to my iPhone hotspot. I also disabled the option to turn off the mobile hotspot if not used in the wifi adapters control panel settings (rather than the option in the network settings) so the hotspot stays active while the computer is powered.