ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2020, 01:43 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Failed hard drive

Now my son is a stupid as me, only an idiot would BLOW a hard drive and continue to try TWO more before looking at the power lead to DUH! finally see it was broken.

It was to be in the PC for my scope, and he blew a 3Tb and the 6Tb boards.

I knew it was the boards, funny how the smoke gives it away, IDIOT Stephen. Well he and I are both Autistic, we do have fun

Well I called a local repair shop, I need a small chip desoldering from one board, and re soldering on another, 4 pins "Don't bother it is not that simple we won't do it, and it won't work, use xxxxxx company they will charge £200+ to recover the data"

Yeah........................... That is half my pension and no guarantee.

Well 1 x £9 INC. postage PCB from China later and £16 ChipQuik later (15 minutes) Fully restored hard drive.

If you ever have a drive fail watch this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_0WaTzKmY

Just remember all drives are different and there are many videos. Also it may not be the PCB, I know it was, but for £10 to check it is well worth it, if you first just swap the boards and it powers up then it is 99% the board if it was dead before
Old 07-01-2020, 10:08 AM
JA

WOW ... good job, in terms of making it possible to recover any lost data, but take care if you intend to put those drives back in to fulltime service.

Best
JA
Old 07-01-2020, 10:32 AM
bojan
amateur

Yes.. it is always worth to try DIY repair.

In most cases the faults are simple enough.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
WOW ... good job, in terms of making it possible to recover any lost data, but take care if you intend to put those drives back in to fulltime service.

Best
JA
100% as I said to Stephen DO NOT rely on it, it will probably be fine after all just a new PCB and chip no different to the old but he has learned a valuable lesson BACK UP

I have been into IT for 40 years since CP/M, and whilst nothing I do now is that important I always backup to a drive that is not in the PC.