Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Harpspitfire

Qhy5l ii- sos

few questions- i cant seem to figure on the QHY5L II just arriving from hong kong
1)- color looks funky in any one of rg bg gb gr (whatever they are)- is there a correct one? theres also a RAW button but its says mono
2)-i cant seem to take an AVI- it say file path not correct and closes up EZ planetary
3) my 'read me' files is all written in chinese , like im supossed to understand this stuff
4) are any other programs to operate these new MC******* cmos chips? EZ planetary doesnt look too easy, firecapture installs but wont even open on the stupid comp i have, WXastro opens the camera but i have no controls- just a grey screen
5) bayer or excedrin???
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I got mine a few weeks ago and had a few of the same thoughts as you.
I found the "bg" setting for colour works best and after tweaking the colour balance manually I did end up with a pretty good colour image. Yours might be different as I think it's to do with the order of the colours on the bayer filter. Just point it at some trees or something during the day and see which one works best for you.

There is an option in one of the menus (file I think) with video options and I think you can change the write path in there. I think by default it writes videos to the same directory where the program exe is so make sure you can write to that location. If you're on win8 it seems to be a bit funny about what it'll write in "Program Files" so perhaps move the program to somewhere (like C:\EZplanetary) that has no weird windows permissions.

EZ planetary seems fine to me, I captured some video of Saturn last time I was out and it worked ok (just make sure you turn off the option to split videos at 2gb). I have the EZ planetary guide in english if you want, just PM me your email addy.

Did you buy it from Gama? I'm surprised it didn't come with english manuals...?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Harpspitfire

no- got it from peter in hong kong, the PDF files are in chinese, only one in english is the camera i dont have! i tried sharpcap after going crazy all day with 'EZ' and seem to get a cleaner image and easy save AVI- i would like to try EZ planetary, but im not understanding why the program says wrong write files, ill send a PM thx
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Cool, I've sent you the guide.
I recon have another go with EZ Planetary as it'll give you more control over the camera than you'll get using the WDM drivers in SharpCap or similar.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Harpspitfire

thx- i got it, i also checked qhy home page under FAQ- still- i cant record an avi, im getting suffix or file path not correct, i really no idea how to set this!!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Did you go get the newest drivers and EZ from qhy?

There's an EZ user guide here.

and tips on getting the frame rate up here.

If you capture in raw, it's not mono, it's just not bebayered yet. It means you'll get a faster frame rate by capturing raw data. SER files are raw and can be read by AutoStakkert for processing.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Harpspitfire

i read that too- latest drivers are installed. i do get the image on the screen and can adjust- i just cant figure out the suffix to take a video- anyway- i took out my old original neximage and tested it on the flagpole- the color were really vibrant and sharp- i wish these cameras had a uncompressed high frame rate, that seems the only thing this newer cmos have the advantage- but i tried sharpcap again- sharpcap even with less controls seems to have more vibrant image and sharper image on the screen,ill try and find a local computer geek to help me out here, they probably understand this tech stuff more i did, i finish concrete- LOL
Old 13-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Harpspitfire

working now- just deleted EVERYTHING and reinstalled the lastest of all, i did get a video recorded on EZ planetary- only thing i see is sharpcap does seem to have a much cleaner image, EZP just seems to have the added option of color balance- ill have to check and see works better for me now

ANOTHER ISSUE- when i took a second video, my computer seems to 'semi crash' the only way i can take 2 avi's is close sharpcap and reopen it- this is weird