Old 11-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Mekon (Paul)

Synscan Pro,

SOLVED:
I have got my Synscan all neatly connected to my Skywatcher, placed the scope in its home position. Told Synscan to figure out where we are in the world (and it does) then I start to align.
It asks for three stars, I choose three objects (the first is Jupiter) then it goes off to hunt for him. Jupiter is in the east at the moment and the scope slews and points well below the horizon to the south. I slew all the way up the J and then tell it to go for Hadar. It slews again in an equally ridiculous direction. I slew it again this time to Hadar and tell it to go look for Arcturus.
It slews down as if to point to the earth's core when I switch off as the tube was about to collide with the pier.

Any clue as to what is going wrong?

EDIT: I had selected AZ instead of EQ in the setup of the Synscan Pro, thanks everyone.

Last edited by Mekon; 16-06-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Solution found.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:15 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

North/South hemisphere settings ? Latitude not correct, should have a (-) minus sign in front for us southerners.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:17 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

When using Synscan 3 star alignment setting, the scope needs to be level and pointed north before you turn it on and connect it to your Synscan wifi network - been through your exact problem and found this was the only fix.

I normally use the two star alignment - it lets you slew to and centre the first star manually, then it will automatically slew somewhere near the second star for you to centre this as well, and you can turn it on with the scope in any position. Much easier than having to level/align the scope first. I find the tracking is a bit hit and miss with the app, and the goto sometimes leaves a bit to be desired as well.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM
fsphotography (Frank)

Synscan pro.

Is it possible you entered the date sequence incorrectly? Needs to be M,D,Y. not D,M,Y. Sound very much like it being that erratic. Just a thought.
Frank.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Mekon (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
North/South hemisphere settings ? Latitude not correct, should have a (-) minus sign in front for us southerners.
I'll double check that, thanks
IIRC, It didn't have minus signs but it did say S and E
Old 12-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Mekon (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsphotography View Post
Is it possible you entered the date sequence incorrectly? Needs to be M,D,Y. not D,M,Y. Sound very much like it being that erratic. Just a thought.
Frank.
Nah, it got the date and time from my phone...Thanks anyway.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Mekon (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
When using Synscan 3 star alignment setting, the scope needs to be level and pointed north before you turn it on and connect it to your Synscan wifi network - been through your exact problem and found this was the only fix.

Really? Not polar aligned?? I'll try it tonight clouds permitting.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Make sure your mount is level and roughly polar aligned to SCP ( I use solar noon meridian method - refer my previous posts )

Try a 2 Star alignment on same side of meridian , no need for a 3 Star alignment

Ensure all data entered in the hand controller is corrrect as mentioned by other IIS members

Good luck !
Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekon View Post
Really? Not polar aligned?? I'll try it tonight clouds permitting.

Thanks
Sorry, I always assume people are using dobs!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 PM
fsphotography (Frank)

synscan pro

You got the date from your phone,there's your problem.

Your phone is calibrated to our local date sequence,Australian. DAY-MONTH-YEAR. The Synscan uses the sequence the Americans use, MONTH,DAY,YEAR.
Frank.

Last edited by fsphotography; 12-06-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:35 PM
Mekon (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsphotography View Post
You got the date from your phone,there's your problem.

Your phone is calibrated to our local date sequence,Australian. DAY-MONTH-YEAR. The Synscan uses the sequence the Americans use, MONTH,DAY,YEAR.
Frank.
But there is no way to set the phone to read out in the US format, I can change the date, but I can't set the date to MONTH =13
Old 13-06-2018, 07:36 PM
fsphotography (Frank)

Synscan pro.

You can't set the date on your hand piece manually?
I must be missing something.
I will try again, your phone today will give you this date;
13th of June 2018.
The Synscan requires;
June 13th 2018. The month first,then the day and year.
So for today you need to put in, 06-13-2018. NOT 13-6-2018.

Check the date input on your hand piece.

Frank.

Last edited by fsphotography; 13-06-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 13-06-2018, 07:53 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Sorry, just to take a step back: are you talking about the Synscan Pro app (which your title suggested), or the Synscan handset? The Synscan handset definitely has the day/month/time thing in the US format (month first) which can cause some initial confusion.The Synscan Pro app however appears to adopt its time (both local and GMT) directly from the devices it's running on, so there's no need for any user input: therefore there shouldn't be any error in the time/date.

Did you try the north/level idea anyway?
Old 14-06-2018, 07:13 AM
Mekon (Paul)

The Synscan Pro Wifi adapter. It plugs into where the handset does, connects to a phone and can control the mount.
It takes the time and date from the phone, connects to my House wifi, works out the Lat Long (I had to add the altitude) and is supposed to be good to go.

It has all of the features that I have wanted in the handset and more. IF I could only get it to work.

Yeah, I tried the North level and for good measure, a south level too.
Old 14-06-2018, 08:07 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
connects to my House wifi, works out the Lat Long (I had to add the altitude) and is supposed to be good to go.

Not that it explains your problem, but I'm assuming saying it connects to your "house" wifi was a slight typo? The Wifi adapter creates its own network which your phone/synscan app then connects to, and you'd normally need to switch off your house wifi connection listed on your phone. Apologies if I'm telling you how to suck eggs, just trying to get to the bottom of your issue, as I've wanted to take to my Sysncan Wifi adapter with a hammer on a few occasions myself so I understand your frustration. If your App has the location sensor turned on, it should give the lat/long/altitude automatically. If these are correct I don't know why you are having the wild slewing issues - I had the same, and gave up the 3 star alignment as a bad joke when I realized the 2 star alignment worked without any issues. Sorry I can't offer more help.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:05 AM
Oddity (Andrew)

If using alt-az mount or mode make sure your OTA is positioned on the correct side of the mount in home position. Check the manual, it should say.

Otherwise it will invert the sky and warp all of its calculations. Also, once setup on the correct side, don't rotate the scope up and over the zenith so that you are pointing "backwards".

For example, if you are using an AZ-EQ mount in alt-az mode, make sure your scope is right-hand sided on the mount when facing forward and switching on in the home position:
Click image for larger version

Name:	alt-az-right.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	229448

Not this side
Click image for larger version

Name:	alt-az-wrong.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	229449

Other mounts could be on the opposite, such as the mini az, so check the manual.

Last edited by Oddity; 14-06-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 14-06-2018, 04:10 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
I have got my Synscan all neatly connected to my Skywatcher, placed the scope in its home position. Told Synscan to figure out where we are in the world (and it does) then I start to align.
It asks for three stars, I choose three objects (the first is Jupiter) then it goes off to hunt for him. Jupiter is in the east at the moment and the scope slews and points well below the horizon to the south. I slew all the way up the J and then tell it to go for Hadar. It slews again in an equally ridiculous direction. I slew it again this time to Hadar and tell it to go look for Arcturus.
It slews down as if to point to the earth's core when I switch off as the tube was about to collide with the pier.

Any clue as to what is going wrong?
Hi Paul are using a planetarium on your computer as well as using the phone,if so check and make sure the long/lat,time are the same on both phone/computer Ian
Old 15-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Mekon (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
If using alt-az mount or mode make sure your OTA is positioned on the correct side of the mount in home position. Check the manual, it should say.

Otherwise it will invert the sky and warp all of its calculations. Also, once setup on the correct side, don't rotate the scope up and over the zenith so that you are pointing "backwards".

This is how I have the scope and mount set up? Is it in AZ or EQ mode?

That was the problem. All fixed, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (telescope and mount.jpg)
44.2 KB46 views

Last edited by Mekon; 16-06-2018 at 06:10 AM.