Old 05-03-2019, 05:49 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

need help skysafari

I have been trying to pair up my AZGTI mount with skysafari as I have just modified the azgti to eq mode to do some astrophotography with it and have been trying to pair up the mount to my tablet with the skysafari app have entered the ip address port no but it still will not connect spent all day yesterday trying to connect but no success is there anyone out there that might have done the same thing this is really frustrating
Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 AM
glend (Glen)

Alan, you cannot run Sky Safari and the Synscan app on the same device and expect to connect both. I have tried it as have many others. There is a long thread on the CN forum on the AZGTI mount and this issue gets discussed. The common approach is to use two devices, like a tablet and a phone. I found using a phone to drive the mount was tricky because the phone screen was too small, so I used my Samsung tablet for Synscan.

Here is the link:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...2#entry8995963

You will need to wade through this thread to find the app discussions.

PS, I believe that using a hardware Synscan hand controller, which can plug into the AzGti, maybe a work around (if you can wifi into the hand controller port - more stuff to buy).I have not tried this I eventually sold my AZGTI. Of course, it would be nice if the Sky Safari people and Skywatcher could talk to one another and work this problem out, especially since Sky Safari supports Skywatcher mounts in its pick list (but not AZGTI). This is just a 'control' issue in my opinion, and Skywatcher want to be in control through their software.

Last edited by glend; 05-03-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

Thanks Gien iam using my Samsung phone for telescope control and a Samsung tablet new one goto control I have no problem with the the phone just the tablet iam thinking it is more of a wifi problem as it keeps telling me I might not have internet connection which I just dismiss but anything is possible with the nbn

Last edited by alan meehan; 05-03-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:17 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Hi Alan, I had similar issues to you (using Samsung phone & tablet).

I seem to recall there may have been something a little tricky with either the Skysafari IP address or Port Number settings. If memory serves, the IP address you enter into skysafari on your tablet needs to be the IP address of your phone, or something like that - it's been a while sorry. I know I had to toggle between 192.168.4.2 and 192.168.4.3 before I eventually got it to work OK, but your numbers may be different. I've also heard that the Port Number might be an issue - I use 11882 but I've heard some people have a default setting of 11880.
I also tend not to open Skysafari on my tablet until I've connected and aligned the scope with Synscan on my phone, after reading this can be an issue.

Probably haven't helped you too much, but good luck - I can empathize with your frustration.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:59 PM
glend (Glen)

Some of the app connection issues are discussed on page 4 of the thread:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...i-mount/page-4

Included are how some setup were made to work.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:34 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Some of the app connection issues are discussed on page 4 of the thread:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...i-mount/page-4

Included are how some setup were made to work.

Some good general tips in that thread. I also assume you've connected both the phone and the tablet to to skywatcher wifi dongle? I know I forgot to change my tablet's wifi connection over on the first few attempts.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Thanks Glen I have tried all the different methods to connect to mount with skysafari but does not work seems some people are having success using a ipad but not android seems this problem has been around for awile oh well the synscan app works fine on the android so I will just use it in eq mode
Old 05-03-2019, 09:35 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

you now after tonight I think I will give the astrophotos away and use this mount and scope for visual to many new problems and besides I have a 10"newtonian in the observatory set up for astrophotography
Old 06-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Wavytone

Likewise I gave up trying with my AZEQ6 and tossed the wifi dongle where it belongs - in the bin.

The SkySafari developers really should get this sorted so the app communicates with the mount directly.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Hemi

I totally agree. Its a convoluted PITA! SW, Celestron and Simulation Curriculum should sort this out. What I have found is that currently, the only way to wireless control a SW mount using their in built wifi (AZGTI) or using THEIR wifi dongle is by using the SW app as the final communication pathway to the mount. So either the SW app alone or as an intermediary. In the case of Sky Safari you have to enter the IP of the device running the (CONNECTED TO MOUNT) SW app. I see what SW are doing up to a point, and it really is good that they have a ASCOM driver for the wifi app. I can now control my AZ EQ6 wirelessly using the SW Dongle from a whole bunch of ascom compliant apps. Less wires, less fuss.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

totally agree Hemi they should sort this out SW and simulation Curriculum too many astro people wasting good money on useless software and devices
Old 05-04-2020, 09:32 AM
DarwinAstro (Chris)

It's got me stumped. Everything works for about 10 to 15 minutes then Sky Safari drops out. If it is going to work for that long, why the drop out?
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 for the Sky Watcher app and a Samsung Tablet for Sky Safari. IP's.. I have changed around, as per different forum ideas. Read Rate from the recommended rate of 4 down to 3, 2, 1.
The app and tablet are sitting on the tripod accessory tray. Home network is disabled. Try switching the apps around vise versa on my devices. Current software is up to date for both apps. You name it I've tried and have wasted many, many hours of researching forums for an answer. Any other suggestions / ideas would be appreciated.
Please dumb down your answers for me, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to in-depth computer related stuff.
Having said that it shouldn't be this hard!
Thanks in advance for any help.
One more thing....stay safe out there, this virus stuff is like electricity. It moves fast, you can't see it coming and it can be deadly!

Last edited by DarwinAstro; 05-04-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 05-04-2020, 10:13 AM
gjr80 (Gary)

Your Galaxy Note isn't hitting it's screen timeout limit and blanking the display is it? This will kill the link to the mount.

I use the wifi dongle on my AZ-EQ6 with my Samsung mobile running the Skywatcher SynScan Pro app and SkySafari on my iPad. After aligning via my mobile everything would work reliably until the screen on my mobile would go blank after the screen timeout period. Could not set the mobile to keep the screen on indefinitely (max is 10 minutes) so I found an app for the mobile in the Play Store that lets you keep the screen on indefinitely. Now I set the mobile screen to stay on indefinitely, align the mount via the mobile, keep SynScan Pro open and then put the mobile away (usually under cover as the screen is too bright) and use SkySafari on the iPad. Works reliably for me now. Hate aligning via SynScan Pro but value a reliable wireless SkySafari connection more.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinAstro View Post
It's got me stumped. Everything works for about 10 to 15 minutes then Sky Safari drops out. If it is going to work for that long, why the drop out?
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 for the Sky Watcher app and a Samsung Tablet for Sky Safari. IP's.. I have changed around, as per different forum ideas. Read Rate from the recommended rate of 4 down to 3, 2, 1.
The app and tablet are sitting on the tripod accessory tray. Home network is disabled. Try switching the apps around vise versa on my devices. Current software is up to date for both apps. You name it I've tried and have wasted many, many hours of researching forums for an answer. Any other suggestions / ideas would be appreciated.
Please dumb down your answers for me, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to in-depth computer related stuff.
Having said that it shouldn't be this hard!
Thanks in advance for any help.
One more thing....stay safe out there, this virus stuff is like electricity. It moves fast, you can't see I and it can be deadly!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:43 PM
DarwinAstro (Chris)

I may have found a solution....
I noticed my home viewing coordinates did not match up.
SynScan Pro showed very close to home, however Sky Safari 6 Plus was some 50 odd klms away. I checked this on Google Earth. I than manually changed the Sky Safari to match that of Synscan and it has stopped dropping out. For Now! The clouds and rain have set in, however I will test ASAP and give you an update. I also added an app to stop the screens from timing out (thanks Gary for the suggestion)
Fingers Crossed!!!!

Last edited by DarwinAstro; 05-04-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Hi Chris, below is the response I recently received from Skywarcher.

"Skywatcher has advised that this is likely a limitation of the Android OS to prevent background apps from consuming too much data and battery, so it limits how much background apps can do after a period of time.

They have suggested the following possible solutions:
1. Try bringing the SynScan app to the foreground after 10-15 minutes to "refresh" it in the operating system.
2. Check battery management settings - there may be a way to prevent Android from restricting background apps. I don't have a Samsung device to confirm, but on my generic Android it's under Settings > Battery > Battery Manager > slide "Use Battery Manager" to "Off". "
Old 19-04-2020, 10:52 PM
DarwinAstro (Chris)

Ok so this worked. Found it in the comments of an Astrodad tutte....
Thanks to Teky Tek.

In ASIAir select the mount as EQMod with SkySafari.

In the SkySafari settings choose, Telescope Setup, choose Meade LX200 Classic regardless of your mount (I have an HEQ5) then for the port number select 9624, IP Address is as normal 10.0.0.1

That it, it takes a little while to connect (be patient).

Works like a dream with the EQMod - SkySafari mount setting and an EQMod cable.