Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2019, 12:49 PM
bojan
amateur

NBN slow in the morning

It's been a week I switched to NBN (I stayed with the same provider, Iinet, basic package with phone).

Since the day one, practically I have no internet in the mornings before 11AM (yes, it is there but just barely, it is unusable for browsing. Before that I had ADSL2, no problems).
Interestingly, telephone (VoIp) works normally.

Now I am thinking, I should have stayed as long as possible with the previous arrangement.

Anyone has a similar experience?
Old 03-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Tried contacting them? You are not getting what you paid for hence either they fix it or you demand a refund or go elswehere.

Ombudsman is always the last resort as well
Old 03-03-2019, 02:19 PM
bojan
amateur

I contacted them over the phone today, but the guys from support tried to convince me it is my browser (like, I don't know what I am talking about..)
As to fee payment for upgrade, i can't complain - I told them I wanted free upgrade because:

1) It is not MY wish to go to to NBN, I was perfectly happy with ADLS2 and I did not want to make copper wires obsolete
2) I was an old customer, so I earned the fee they wanted to charge for transfer many times over.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:13 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
I contacted them over the phone today, but the guys from support tried to convince me it is my browser (like, I don't know what I am talking about..)
As to fee payment for upgrade, i can't complain - I told them I wanted free upgrade because:

1) It is not MY wish to go to to NBN, I was perfectly happy with ADLS2 and I did not want to make copper wires obsolete
2) I was an old customer, so I earned the fee they wanted to charge for transfer many times over.
Absolutely nonsense. When the same browser works flawlessly with your DSL, it should work perfectly. Usually they put students at the helpdesk with few knowledge.

Do you have fiber ? Not all NBN connections are fiber.
And it can be a DNS problem. The DNS can be different from your old provider, but luckily you can change it yourself. A good one is Cloudflare DNS :
Adresses:
They include ad blocking as well.

Another one is Cisco OpenDNS:

These are more reliable than the privacy offending Google DNS.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 PM
bojan
amateur

I have HFC (so fiber is further up the line).
Good point re DNS, thank you - (it occurred to me as well sort of.. because phone is working OK) - I will try your suggestion asap, I left the previous settings (automatic) as it worked OK... most likely I was on Telstra server with ADSL2, and now that the physical line changed (cable), DNS was also changed.
My mistake.
My apologies, IInet.

Last edited by bojan; 03-03-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:47 AM
bojan
amateur

Tried this morning with suggested DNS (and 8.8.8.8)... it seems this solved the problem, however, the effect of changing DNS was not immediate like I expected (change from automatic to specifis DNS), it seems reboot was required?
Anyway.. looks like all works now :-)
Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Tried this morning with suggested DNS (and 8.8.8.8)... it seems this solved the problem, however, the effect of changing DNS was not immediate like I expected (change from automatic to specifis DNS), it seems reboot was required?
Anyway.. looks like all works now :-)
You should reinitialize network connection, e.g. turn off and on wifi or unplug and plug again the network cable if you have wired network. That is all.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:06 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
You should reinitialize network connection, e.g. turn off and on wifi or unplug and plug again the network cable if you have wired network. That is all.

Makes sense.. Thank a lot
Old 04-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I'd be very wary of IINet, they are a bunch of shonks in my opinion, they told me all sorts of lies, and at one stage I had less than dial up speeds on my 100/50 service. They blamed everything except their ability to provide bandwidth. I had to get the ombudsman involved to get out of their contract, now with Aussiebb and never looked back.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:43 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

The slowdown times are odd too, the usual NBN lack of bandwith issues crop up in roughly a 5PM to 9PM or so slot, basically when people get home and start watching Netflix.

Currently I am in NBN fixed wireless congestion hell. Anywhere down to about 1mbps download in peak times since a tower "Upgrade" two months ago and they just keep auto closing tickets, we have established pretty solidly that it is nothing to do with my network or my RSP (Aussie Broadband)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:10 AM
bojan
amateur

This morning NBN is slow again (VERY slow actually, every webpage times out), even wih DNS settings that apparently woked OK (or so I thought)).

So far I know for certain that in the morning:
- VoIP (phone) works OK
- Browsing does not work
- Skype does not work (not sure if it depends on DNS setting ?)
Old 06-03-2019, 09:43 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
This morning NBN is slow again (VERY slow actually, every webpage times out), even wih DNS settings that apparently woked OK (or so I thought)).

So far I know for certain that in the morning:
- VoIP (phone) works OK
- Browsing does not work
- Skype does not work (not sure if it depends on DNS setting ?)
Probably the provider takes Voip priority over browsing or other internet services.
Skype has nothing to do with DNS settings, different to other internet use.
And, indeed, complain at your provider.

But as "The_bluester" says, all the streaming services are indeed a bandwidth hog. When using Netflix, rather pre-download it in low load times (e.g. night) and watch later.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:05 AM
bojan
amateur

Yesterday we were even without phone service.. it was resored at ~8PM.

This morning - same... Internet access is there, phone works, internet browsing and Skype unuseably slow (~1bit/sec or so /-: )
Old 15-03-2019, 01:05 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

You need pages to load to do it but I would be doing some speedtest.net tests to see what you connection is actually doing, run them at various times of day to build a profile that shows if you have congestion issues. Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do to show where slow speeds are coming from. All we could do was traceroutes which showed in a 100ms round trip, almost all of it was in the (Invisible) hop through the NBN to our RPS's network.

Ours is finally sorted after I would have to say, two months of obfuscation and BS from NBN.

Another month of anywhere down to 0.9mbps download later and suddenly it is working properly. Unfortunately we are due for more "Scheduled maintenance" later this month, that was the start of this last little escapade in customer service.

They would smell much more of roses if they did not work so hard to gaslight their customers or just tell them porkies. At one point when a ticket was lodged we suddenly had no connection, then really good speeds for about ten minutes then no connection, then good speeds, then back to it's "best". The no connection was because they forced a recycle of the NTD at our end, and then they closed the fault as having no speed problems. Suspicious me wonders if they performed the test while recycling all the NTD's on our sector of the tower, knocking a lot of customers offline and reducing load for the duration of the test so it looked better than it was.
Old 29-03-2019, 09:52 AM
bojan
amateur

Well... again I have to put a blame to myself - or my comp.
Almost every time, when I power it up, there is no internet (phone works always)

However, my laptop (via WiFi or LAN) behaves as it should - internet is always there after power up.

Suspicion fell on LAN cables, of course.. so I fiddled with cables, and the pattern started to emerge: after physically disconnecting and reconnecting LAN cable, internet usually started working.
But I could not prove to myself the cable was faulty.

So I tried another approach - disabling and enabling LAN adapter.. and this worked every time.

What could the cause of this?
Old 29-03-2019, 09:44 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Could possibly be an IP address conflict, if so disconnecting and re-connecting the Lan cable and or disable/re-enable of the Lan adapter would refresh any DHCP allocation.

It’s good practice to assign a static reservation in your router DHCP table for every device (particularly wireless iDevices) you have connected either physically or wirelessly.

I’ve seen many instances where cabling is blamed and address conflicts are the cause, smartphones and tablets are the worst offenders. FWIW If your internet connection was abysmally slow your VOIP connection would be the first to suffer.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I complain when mine goes below 70Mbs
Old 03-04-2019, 10:28 AM
JimsShed (Jim)

I had very slow NBN initially. AussieBB suggested I physically disconnect unused phone points in the house. I did this and my speed doubled. Apparently NBN is very sensitive to signal “reflections“. Might be worth looking into.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:40 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsShed View Post
I had very slow NBN initially. AussieBB suggested I physically disconnect unused phone points in the house. I did this and my speed doubled. Apparently NBN is very sensitive to signal “reflections“. Might be worth looking into.

Hmm.. that sounds strange - "reflections" explanation could be applicable for ADSL, in principle... but filter/diplexer should eliminate any issues like that.

Telephone (via VoIP) is completely separate circuit, and can't affect HF cable or fibre...
Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 AM
JimsShed (Jim)

My unused phone points initially had nothing plugged into them. No splitters or devices. What I had to do was disconnect them. "cut the wires" so to speak. Now my only phone point in the house is the first one in the line from the street, and my NBN modem is plugged into that point.
This may not be the solution to your problem but it was for me.

Jim