Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 15-03-2018, 02:13 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Unfortunately Saturday has just been declared a Total Fire Ban day so unfortunately the spit roast is off. We will still have salads and as I have ordered the meat we will see if we can do a bit of a roast in the ovens.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 15-03-2018, 02:27 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I was about to post that, not sure what time they declared it, I just saw it listed elsewhere. I may actually head home on Saturday morning and come back in the evening. Our area is down as a total fire ban but at a lesser fire rating and I don't know how comfortable I am leaving everyone else at home while I am off hours away.

I have to admit that I find the fire rating system implemented after Black Saturday a dead set confusing mess. How come you can have a total fire ban day but on the fire danger scale it is the third lowest of six ratings? Stupid setup IMO.
Old 15-03-2018, 02:56 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

The ban only went on at 2-20pm today. I had checked only a few minutes before and it wasn't there.
Yes it is confusing!!

Malcolm
Old 15-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

.... Or maybe just do the spit roast tomorrow night instead?
Old 15-03-2018, 06:16 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Andy
The time frame is a bit tight as it really needs 4-5 hours. I cannot arrive with the meat until about 3-30pm
Also a few people are only coming on Saturday. Proposal at this stage is we still do the spit on Friday which would come off at about 8pm and we wil serve it as cold meat on the Sat night (it will be a warm day anyway) If that doesn't meet general approval, we will do a pizza run (or similar) into Ballarat. Will stil have salads etc.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 15-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

It's today it's today woohoo 😜😜 soooo excited my cars all packed ready to go
See you all soon 😍😍🔭🔭🔭🍾🍾🍾💜💜💜😜😜😜
Old 16-03-2018, 12:44 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi all
See you up at SV!!

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 18-03-2018, 03:21 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Couple of enjoyable nights so far. Friday night cleared up OK after midnight. I managed a bit of imaging and visual. Sat night it cleared about 10pm with a few drifting hazes until about 1am.
Huge thanks to our 2 presenters, Steve (Astronomy in the frozen north) and Andy (imaging composition) for their talks and also to Steve once again for his expertise with the cooking for last night.

Hoping to get some more time in tonight!!

Malcolm
Old 19-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

I reckon you guys must have had a late night last night!

Thanks again Malcolm and Paul for such a wonderful camp. Even though I only made Friday night, it was so good to catch up with eveyone and even get some observing in!
Old 19-03-2018, 02:18 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

I'd also like to echo Paddy's thoughts - well done to the organisers.

Thank you for the fellowship to all those who were there on the Saturday it was great to catch up with you all. As for the viewing...well maybe next time. :-)

Paul
Old 19-03-2018, 03:04 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzgerald View Post
I'd also like to echo Paddy's thoughts - well done to the organisers.

Thank you for the fellowship to all those who were there on the Saturday it was great to catch up with you all. As for the viewing...well maybe next time. :-)

Paul
Thanks Paul
Great to see you and thanks for bringing the projector! See you in November, if not sooner.

Malcolm
Old 19-03-2018, 03:05 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
I reckon you guys must have had a late night last night!

Thanks again Malcolm and Paul for such a wonderful camp. Even though I only made Friday night, it was so good to catch up with eveyone and even get some observing in!
Yes Paddy we had a late one, lost the sky about 5am. BTW I have posted a new M83 of Facebook and the Deep Sky thread!!

Malcolm
Old 19-03-2018, 03:52 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Tiredness is catching up on me now, just as I am about to get stuck into processing my shots from last night.

A big thank you again! Hope the next camp comes around as fast as this one did!
Old 19-03-2018, 06:28 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Lovely and relaxed event as always. Nice to get one good and one near great night out of the camp. And my 9 year old really enjoyed the experience, I reckon he will be back. I am going to need a trailer the way this is going, we had my ute canopy filled just about to the roof to leave space for Christopher and that was after sending some stuff home with my wife yesterday!

There is much danger to my wallet in looking through big dobs at star parties, the detail seen on Jupiter and on M83 one night and realising that there is actually detail to resolve on Omega Cen (Which I have always found ho-hum in the C925) and in the homunculous (Which I previously thought looked pretty good in the 925) is addictive.
Old 20-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Is it November yet 🤣🤣🤣😈😈😈
Next camp 9th November 😍😍

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3121.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	225359
Old 20-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Garnimoa (Gerald)

Snake Valley March 2018

Really enjoyable time with you all! Loved it!!

Great presentations by Andy and Steve too. And a wonderful meal on Saturday night as well, with plenty of leftovers too (made myself a meat sandwich the next day for lunch - YUM!)

Also thanks to John for his Photoshop help too, lots of extra knowledge I will use when I get the time to process my pics.

Looking forward to the November Camp!

Please find some of the pics I took from my P4P (Drone)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u0g6zagh6...hmLgeV1Ya?dl=0

Cheers Gerald
Old 20-03-2018, 03:35 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Have arrived home safely if a bit tired. Great to see some new faces as well as some "old timers" we hadn't seen for a while.
Managed to get out under the stars on 3 nights with Sunday being an all-nighter. Monday didn't live up to it's reputation so the die-hards had to content themselves with chatting/sleeping/processing.
The new cabins were a great success. Andrew should be upgrading the cabins in the future which will make them much more comfortable. By the next camps the kitchen and dining room should be updated, should be a bit nicer going forward.
As Jen has mentioned, we have booked the next camp for November 9-13 which is the weekend after VicSouth.
Lastly a big thanks to everyone for supporting these little astro get togethers. Especially to Steve for his presentation and culinary skills, to Andrew for his presentation, Paul and Barry for helping with putting the show on. On a personal note, thanks to Rowland for his processing tips!!
Cheers and clear skies!!
Malcolm
Old 20-03-2018, 04:19 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Just got home after my 7 hour drive, another excellent camp with plenty of new faces, whom, I am sure, enjoyed themselves, great to see the return of some of the old timers.. whilst conditions were not the greatest, it was, as far as I am concerned, another great camp. Was great to see people who really enjoyed learning.

Come on November.

John G
Old 22-03-2018, 08:33 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Anyone from the camp that may have imaged Eta Car area, Rob K is looking for images that may show a Nova. See http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...46#post1364246

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 27-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

G'day everyone I think I have finally caught up and recovered from another awesome camp As usual I had the best time ever, great company catching up with the regulars (welcome back Marty) and I have made some awesome new friendships with the noobies too (which I hope I haven't scared them away hahahaha.....
The only part that I do hate at these camps is that I never get to say good bye to many of you because during the very little sleep that I do have at these camps you all seem to disappear then... hahaha mmmm...I see a pattern here LOL LOL

Thanks Malcolm and all involved for making this camp run smoothly like it does, despite the crappy weather I enjoy every camp at this event because of all you friendly, helpful, funny, entertaining, software sharing great bunch of people hahahaha
I learn so much from these camps, even though I still have so much more to learn I just keep getting better and better every year so yeah thanks heaps my fav little astro family <3 <3 <3 And hopefully I will see you all back in November
Check out my pics from this camp The Cats Paw Nebula & Gabriela Mistral

And if you aren't my friend on facebook (why the hell not hahaha ) check out my very first timelapse and startrails pics taken on the Saturday night

https://www.facebook.com/jenny.bryen...5739592891725/

Name:	cats paw 2 ST&PS framed.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	225673

Name:	gabriella ST&PS framed2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	225674