Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
netwolf

Got the 400D now what?

Hi All,

Originally I had thought to buy a used 350D or 300D to fit my small budget. Then today I went over to JB hifi and saw the 400D twin lens kit for 1198 and they would give it to me with the magic words 6months interest free cha-ching.. now i have a camera.

What adapters do i need to fit this to a Borg 77ED (on loan), and 8" SCT for prime focus photography?

I have the losmandy dovetail that i got with the LX90 to piggyback a guidescope or camera. Plus I have the Losmandy camera slide on bit. But this puts the camera on upside down. But I have seen people setup this way, just wondering if it will be safe to do this.

Regards
Fahim
Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
netwolf

Another Question can two Losmandy plates be connected back to back?
Regards
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 PM
snowyskiesau

I'll be watching this thread with interest.
I've just bought a Canon 40D and have all the same questions
Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Not sure what you mean by back to back but they can be mounted top and bottom of your OTA, one to attach your OTA to the mount and the other to load your guidescope or camera adapter.

You are probably better off mounting your camera on the top of your OTA, gives you a much better chance of balancing everything, on the bottom you always have the chance to drive the camera into the mount, that crunching, grinding sound is not nice.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
netwolf

Geoff,

I am so used to my Canon A610's live view mode that I find the lack of it on the 400D a little disappointing. I say some of the other similar camera's I think the Olympus DSLR have liveview as well on there lower end DSLR's. I wonder why Canon left it out. Anyways I was tempted by the 40D but not enough to stretch my credit beyond my budget to pay it off.

I have done a bit of googling and found that the following is required
1. EOS to T-thread adapter (For prime focus imaging).
2. Along with a T-thread adapter
3. or variable T-Thread adapter like the Meade ones. The variable one has a barlow built in, i think. Its more for Planets etc.
4. The Meade ones mentioned above screw onto the SCT Thread at the back of the scope, or you can place a Focal Reducer and then screw into that.

I am thinking for the ED80 or similar the T-thread adapter will need to have a eyepiece like pipe to slot into the focuser.

Also the 8" only have a 1.5" hole in them so the best we can do is use a 1.25" adapters and am wondering if this will cause vignetting.

Regards
Fahim
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 PM
netwolf

John,

The Losmandy Camera adapter needs to slide onto the Dove side of the plate and this will be facing the sadle. Hence what I was thinking is using a second Losmandy plate and joining the two together to give me a dove topside to slide the camera adapter on. This way I dont need an OTA, at all.

I know there are screws on these plates that fit through the radial adapters and into the tube, but I am wondering if anyone has used these holes to connect two plates together. Losmandy does sell a plate like this with a dove top and bottom.

Regards
Fahim
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Yes, that is the male to male plate, you use if you want to have a side by side setup and require the camera adapter or sliding guidescope rings to be mounted. Helps with the balance.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 PM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

A 37mm opening shouldn't theoretically vignette, as your sensor is only 15x22mm. To get vignetting with that, you'd have to be using a very fast focal ratio, or a long extension on your t-ring.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

I understand what your getting at now Fahim, this is probably what you are talking about, it will slide onto your mount and have a male dovetail on the top.

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?...e%20plate&st=2

Cheers
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Geoff,
I am thinking for the ED80 or similar the T-thread adapter will need to have a eyepiece like pipe to slot into the focuser.
I think ED80 by Skywatcher is supplied with this adapter. At least it was included in my ED80 so I can attach t-ring for my 400D directly to a focuser.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Fahim, the adapter best suited for the LX90 is the TASS ($15US) from scopestuff, they also have a suitable EOS adapter TTCE ($18US) . With the 400D attached it will still clear the forks. Alternatively Baader make a shorter adapter but apparently you need some length in the adapter or a focal reducer to minimise vignetting. I have seen good results from an LX with the meade f6.3 focal reducer and the Baader Short SCT T adapter. I also ordered some shorty collimation knobs and a dew strap from scopestuff, the lot cost $15 US for postage (total cost was $105 incl postage).
Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 PM
netwolf

Thanks all, i picked up a EOS T-ring and a Variable Eyepice projection adapter. The VEPA can be used with a EP inserted for ep projection or the nosepiece section can be removed an connected to camera for prime focus projection. Using the EOS T-ring and noise piece together would I think easily clear the fork arms. Even with a FR and SCT adapter and installed.

Regards
Fahim