Old 15-02-2012, 10:51 AM
rogerg (Roger)

FinePix X100 - simplicity and beauty?

http://www.finepix-x100.com/

I saw a Fuji FinePix X100 at a portrait photography course on the weekend. I loved it's simplicity, subdued design, fantastic noise control at high ISO (3200 ISO looks like 800 ISO on my 7D), silent shutter, etc. The idea of having the controls at hand like my Pentax SP1000 film camera had does appeal.

I can see myself being much more comfortable shooting with it during travels than shoving a big L lens in a stranger's face. I can see it would also not be a target for thieves like a big DSLR.

A hesitation is the fixed lens. I love primes, and 35mm is good for so many situations of course, but I'd love to be able to use it at more 70-80mm for closer portrait work.

I don't plan to buy one soon, as I can't justify the $$$. But I thought a discussion on it might be enjoyable. I'd love to play with one for a while.

Anyone have one or experiences with them?

Roger.
Old 15-02-2012, 11:21 AM
mplanet62 (Michael)

I'd love to have it as a runabout camera too - if not the price. As for noise - did you compare RAWs or JPGs? EOS7 RAW at high ISO will look noisier than any good point-and-shooter's JPG (say, Canon's IXUS range).
Old 15-02-2012, 02:11 PM
gregbradley

These mirrorless cameras are all the rage. There are quite a few on the market now. Some are very high end. Perhaps the best is the Leica M9 which some regard as the finest digital camera and leave any DSLR behind for landscape shots.

But then its US$9000 as well.

Greg.
Old 15-02-2012, 02:55 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplanet62 View Post
I'd love to have it as a runabout camera too - if not the price. As for noise - did you compare RAWs or JPGs? EOS7 RAW at high ISO will look noisier than any good point-and-shooter's JPG (say, Canon's IXUS range).
Interesting. I hadn't considered JPG's would show less noise. I was judging by JPG's on a review site as well as comparisons by the course leader who had the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
These mirrorless cameras are all the rage. There are quite a few on the market now. Some are very high end. Perhaps the best is the Leica M9 which some regard as the finest digital camera and leave any DSLR behind for landscape shots.

But then its US$9000 as well.

Greg.
Yes... an M9 would be very nice I'm sure ... but I'll set my signs on something achievable and hope I never have the pleasure of using an M9 to get addicted to it
Old 15-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Roger

Style and form reminds me of my Leica Ms I used to collect and use as well; pretty good for those concerts as they don't make a noise! And silly me decided to sell them all off when I probably was drunk!
I'll go have and look and see if I can play around with one - let you know if I can "borrow" one to try out

Cheers
Bill
Old 15-02-2012, 09:52 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionoz View Post
Roger

Style and form reminds me of my Leica Ms I used to collect and use as well; pretty good for those concerts as they don't make a noise! And silly me decided to sell them all off when I probably was drunk!
I'll go have and look and see if I can play around with one - let you know if I can "borrow" one to try out

Cheers
Bill
Old 27-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Shiggy (Shaun)

Another Fuji X

Hi Roger,
Have you seen the new Fuji X-Pro1 ?
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/
Similar to the X100 only with interchangable lenses.
It would be interesting to test it on a scope at high ISO.

Cheers
Shaun
Old 27-02-2012, 08:52 PM
gregbradley

These mirrorless cameras are going to be popular.

I like the look of the 24mp Sony Nex7N.

Greg.
Old 27-02-2012, 09:10 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiggy View Post
Hi Roger,
Have you seen the new Fuji X-Pro1 ?
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/
Similar to the X100 only with interchangable lenses.
It would be interesting to test it on a scope at high ISO.

Cheers
Shaun
I did fnd that after my original post ... it got me thinking .. is part of the appeal, the simplicity, because it is a fixed lense?

This left me wondering which I would actually choose if given the $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
These mirrorless cameras are going to be popular.

I like the look of the 24mp Sony Nex7N.

Greg.
Interesting focus on it ... the mirrorless aspect. I suppose you're right in more ways than one, why does a DSLR even need a mirror nowadays anyway?
Old 28-02-2012, 05:45 PM
gregbradley

I think DSLRs use mirrors so you can see through the lens when framing.
As far as I know the advancement has been electronic screens that are in the viewfinder as opposed to point and shoot live views.

Perhaps also there is more control over autofocus points if a mirrored view? Maybe not.

Not a lot of reasons anymore. Mirrorless seems to make them smaller, same sensors half the time and full featured. The review I read on the Sony Nex7 would make you wonder you would buy a Sony A77.

I suppose not all lenses are available for the mirrorless so less choice. Perhaps that will change if the market embraces this format enough.

Greg.