Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Canon software,camera issues

Hi folks

Today,I had a big tidy up on my computer,a de frag,a system clean,etc

I then poped the new canon drive disk Ver 20.2,it was slightly an updated version of ver 18 that came with 450D 8 months ago.I followed prompts and all the usual stuff.

I never had any issues with the other EOS software etc,Well after all done,and cleaned computer I was feeling mighty good keeping things squeky clean.

I plugged in 50D with IS and MF all turned off,just to do basic checks,and hit a snag-nothing worked computer said hardware issues,then nothing.

Changed cords,changed camera bodies,turned computer off,had a cuppa tea,turned it all back on,same thing! Now the old 450D and its software all worked fine.So I booted out VER 20.2 and re installed Ver 18.all the same problems as above.

Now ,I noted that when I re installed ver 18,and I noticed it on ver 20.2 install,that a message pooped up
that read "insert Maxlam DL Essentials edition disk'' (this is the disc that was already in disc drive,

So what I have I done wrong?( I feel I should'nt have tried to be so technological and put ver 20.2 in,ver 18 would have still worked fine if I had'nt had all these clean ups!)

Hope someone can help,if all else fails,hopefully one of the astro chaps coming to up this weekend can fix it.Never had an issue with drivers before.

Thanks for any help,Chris
Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Tallstock (Peter)

My March 2010 550D came with Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk Ver 22.0 (not Ver 20.2)
Maybe try Custom install of EOS Utility v2.8 to see if that works on its own. Otherwise you might have to d/l from Canon site a new set of software.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re software issue

Ok,Peter I will look at that suggestion,I have ran out of ideas to do.

I re-installed the old one twice and still no go,All the canon software is in all good.The computer does'nt seem to be acknowledging the camera is even there,makes a little funny sound when plug it in,and thats it.

I will un-install everything and try just the utilities.

thanks Chris
Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re computer-camera communication,or lack off

Tried that Peter,thanks.

The issue appears to be with computer-its been hard to get along with!

Software is all properly installed,(after 6 goes,I am getting rather quick at it)

The computer just doe'nt want to acknoledge hardware,I went to control panel,went to device management-and then to cameras etc,went through a huge list of makes,then it had sub menu for models.

Well,blow me down,in the 'make' section-no canon,every other make,and there is lots,but no canon.

I may have to buy a new lap-top.but surely this hic-up doe'nt need such a expensive solution,I can see the camera trying to hook up with computer,but the computer does'nt want to know about it.

Any suggestions,wlecome

thanks Chris
Old 07-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Chris,

Have you checked in the EOS Utility preferences whether it says to load the EOS Utility when it senses a camera connection?

That might have something to do with it if it's disabled.

H
Old 08-06-2010, 06:00 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re camera/computer connection

Thanks Humayan-I will have a look at that point you make,-no I have'nt checked it.Previously I just plugged the camera in-and away it all went,

I did have a big clean up yesterday-de-frag,disk clean,virus scan,threw out unused programs,and files.It appears I may have done some small thing that has upset the comunication between camera and computer,

You suggestion,is something like I image the problem is centred around,some tiny little thing-just not quite right.

If,that is not the solution,I wonder if a 'systems restore,to a set point' might work??

thanks very much for your advice,Humayan

regards Chris
Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re computer/camera conection

Humayan,I checked the 'preferences' menu,scrolled through options,

I found "start EOS Utility automatically when camera is connected"

And thought,yes! can fix it,But I could not tick or untick the box,all others I could,also the writting was light,not bold like other options.

I also went into other areas of the menu,and one I clicked on to would allow me to do anything-a small screen popped up "comunication" not allowed or similar.

So it appears rather bizzar,I will try a systems retore set point tonight when I get home from work.All this worked perfectly fine,until I had my clean uops yesterday!.

If anyone else has any suggestions,please let me know

thanks Chris
Old 08-06-2010, 07:01 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re cmaera

Humayan,I did a systems restore to a week ago,all looks good.

I got the 450D working from lap top,as before,I plugged in 50D,the computer recognised it,its was in list of devices,I could see 50D,I could examine photos.

But I could'nt work the camera via EOS utility,it did'nt recognize it.had icon saying so.

But the software I have in is from the disc that came with 450d,ver 18,so I will put the disc that came with 50d and load it in.

Just happy to have any camera working from lap top really!

Thank goodness for systems restore,Someone once mentioned that you should not ever do de-frags its not good,may be they were right.

Ok,if anyone has any pointers,I would be most happy,I am not really a computer person,so I need all the help I can get!

cheers Chris
Old 09-06-2010, 11:33 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re hic ups

After 8 hrs of looking at this issues,eventually it appeared the 50D driver discs were corrupted,I then down loaded canon utility 2.73,finally everything worked as it should!