Old 16-12-2015, 05:57 PM
vlazg (George)

Printing images

I would like to print some images, I tried the normal methods i.e. through photo processing shops but the results were ordinary.
The images are not great but what is the best way to get this done, who best to send to?
George
Old 16-12-2015, 06:41 PM
leon

George you are right the shops that do these photos are very ordinary, they use lousy quality paper and that is why it only costs you a few cents a print.
I, like many others here would print there own where you can over see the process, use quality paper and ink.
These days a decent printer wont cost that much, it is the ink and the paper that you spend on.
A reasonably good Canon or similar printer will cost about 100-200, but you will have it a long time and be able to print at any time and enjoy doing it.
That my friend is you best solution, other than that you will have to find someone that will do a quality job for you.
There are places around that will do it for you, but that will also cost you some dollars.

Good Luck, Leon
Old 16-12-2015, 06:48 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

This thread might help?

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=130155

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-12-2015, 09:18 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

As a photographer I invested a lot of time and effort into finding a stable process for reliably printing but there are some things home users can do to maximise print quality and reduce fading prints.

- Use genuine inks ONLY (NO exception, Compatible inks are NOT even close), this includes avoiding CIS (continuous ink systems). You can find genuine inks cheaper online than kmart or officeworks etc
- Same with paper, use recommended or quality brand papers, AVOID officeworks etc.
- I use Ilford papers exclusively for prints, sometimes others for test prints.
- Get the paper profiles from the paper makers website and USE them. NEVER let your printer decide how to manage the image when printing. ALWAYS use the correct profile for your paper/printer combination or calibrate your printer/paper combo, Spyder have equipment for calibrating printers that does a good job.

Printer makers like Epson and Canon develope their inks and papers to be used together not to rip you off. Use the correct inks and papers and profiles and your prints will look great and last for years. Try to save yourself a couple of dollars and not a single print will last, its a waste of money.

You could try a local printers business , but the print facilities at the mall or chain store are all crap for astrophotography
Old 17-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

ColorMunki is excellent for getting prints to match (within the laws of Physics) what you see on the monitor. It calibrates both the monitor and the printer.
http://www.imagescience.com.au/produ...Lz8aArG08P8HAQ

Geoff
Old 18-12-2015, 08:23 AM
vlazg (George)

Thanks for the replies, will give them a go.

ColorMonki is a bit expensive for a test, Geoff
Old 18-12-2015, 10:02 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
ColorMonki is a bit expensive for a test, Geoff
You get what you pay for colour calibration is costly and people forget a monitor is transmissive and prints are reflective so they still complain it looks different anyway. Find a proper print business that offers 6x4 and a4 prints. it costs more than hardly normal but you're paying for a calibrated process by professionals not a work experience kid pushing print on a $20 printer.

Basically deal with it, there are no real cheap shortcuts.
Old 21-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

For stunning Astro prints on Fujiflex this is my lab of choice, it's in Melbourne.
http://www.cpldigital.com.au/printin..._printing.html
Old 22-12-2015, 12:45 PM
John K

I have found that printing on matt paper at a Harvey Norman lab is very cheap and provides excellent framing potential with photographic quality. Dont print on gloss and go for a matt finish. Very cost effective.

John K.