Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2020, 08:47 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Just bought a Mesu..

So I just bought a pre-loved Mesu 200 (MK1 with the SiTech controller) which is now on its way to me. I know there's not many many Mesu owners in Australia, but...

Any tips / tricks / warnings for a new Mesu owner? Things you wish you knew in the beginning?
Old 09-05-2020, 08:51 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Don't drop the box on your toes.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:52 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

lol. That implies I'll be able to lift the box in the first place ;-)
Old 09-05-2020, 11:51 AM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Lee,

Do you have the PDF files to operate the Sitech controller?
If not I can email them to you, they are too big to attach here in the forum.

Did you get counterweights? The Mesu 200 uses a 40mm diameter counterweight shaft so you will need to address that. I made mine from 5Kg gymnasium weights.

You will also probably need an adaptor plate to bolt onto your pier. My Mesu 200 came with an adaptor plate which I got holes drilled to fit onto an EQ6 tripod.

Cheers
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (5kg weight and plug bottom.JPG)
133.4 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (adapter plate2_North.JPG)
113.0 KB49 views
Old 09-05-2020, 12:18 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Oooo nice one

To supplement the AP?
Old 09-05-2020, 03:18 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Hi Lee,

Do you have the PDF files to operate the Sitech controller?
If not I can email them to you, they are too big to attach here in the forum.

Did you get counterweights? The Mesu 200 uses a 40mm diameter counterweight shaft so you will need to address that. I made mine from 5Kg gymnasium weights.

You will also probably need an adaptor plate to bolt onto your pier. My Mesu 200 came with an adaptor plate which I got holes drilled to fit onto an EQ6 tripod.

Cheers
Bill
Hey Bill,

The previous owner sent me the "Mesu 200 Mount Quick Guide to Installation", but that's it... I assumed I could just download the docs for the SiTech controller from their site, but it looks like the docs haven't been updated since 2015 and I can see from their discussion forum that there's been development since then I'll send you a PM with my email address.

I did see that the Mesu 200 has a 40mm diameter counterweight shaft which makes it a lot harder to find counterweights for it. It's coming with one that the seller thought was 10kg but seemed unsure. I will probably need more. That's a clever idea with the gym weights... of course my gym weights that are largely unused don't have a big enough bore so I'll need to buy some different ones if I want to go that route. I think you 3D printed your sleeves as well, yes? I don't have a 3D printer, so that's not an option for me. I might be able to buy one or more cheap gym weights and clamp them to the one real counterweight I'll have for the interim...

I'm hoping that the mount will just fit onto my existing pier without modification, but I don't know. Looks like the real Mesu adapter plate is an optional extra that my one isn't coming with. My one is coming with a Mesu -> Berlebach adapter though and it's possible I'll be able to bolt that to my pier... hard to say as I can't find any docs or mechanical drawings to determine how far apart the holes are.

My pier has a lot of holes in it... when I had it made, it came with the full set of threaded holes to match my mount as the time (Avalon Linear), which had quite a lot. When I got the Mach 1 its adapter plate fit unmodified to the pier... hoping for a similar experience but I don't think I'll know for sure until I try.

Cheers,
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Oooo nice one

To supplement the AP?
Cheers Dunk :-) Nah, the AP will be sold to finance the Mesu... can't afford two mounts and frankly don't need two... only got one obs and it's not big enough for two piers. Hoping I don't regret it given you can't buy new Mach 1's anymore... hard to resist the 100kg payload capacity of the Mesu though, opens up a lot of long term options that I didn't have with the Mach 1.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:50 PM
billdan (Bill)

I replied to your PM Lee and sent you those manuals, let me know if they don't get through. (I have been having issues with Outlook Express).
Old 09-05-2020, 08:28 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Got 'em! Thanks again Bill :-)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:43 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

For the extra weights I wanted for my mount, I needed to get 38.1 mm holes. My father got a drill and we bored the extra amount out. The weights fit snugly, without the need of any sleeves. I "lock" them in place using the 2 counterweights that came with the mount (so they are sandwiched and can't move).

Depending on how many weights you want, the drill while a bit expensive (still well less than an "official" counterweight price), might be a path to explore.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:23 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Thanks Chris :-)

Yeah, I've considered that as an option. I've read that the weight plates can be made of varying quality cast iron which can vary in how easy it is to driil. I'm a bit wary of spending the money (I'd probably have to buy a press as well, rather than just using the hand drills I have) only to find out it won't drill it.

There's a steel fab place just up the road... I might give them a buzz and see if they can widen the bore on my existing weight plates for a reasonable price.
Old 13-05-2020, 09:32 AM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

counter waights

Lee,
When I bought my Mesu Mk1 I got the Mesu stainless steel counterweight.
It was too heavy for my Tak Mewlon and photography rig.

Had to have a slice taken off it. So now I have two weights. I don't know what all your imaging gear weighs but be aware that the conterweight shaft itself is a massive item.

Chris
Old 14-05-2020, 06:14 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Thanks for that insight, Chris. I might be in luck then. I'm not sure what my rig weighs but it wouldn't be all that much... it's only an 8" newt. That said, it does have a Litecrawler focuser on it so it'd be on the heavier side of an 8" newt, but still... not like I'm throwing a 16" scope on it.

Fingers crossed I can balance it with just the weight it's coming with.
Old 14-05-2020, 08:19 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Congratulations Lee! Fantastic news
Old 14-05-2020, 09:28 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

A new mount is always exciting news, I hope it turns out to be everything you hoped for..and more Lee I know mine did bit over a year ago

Mike
Old 14-05-2020, 10:51 PM
billdan (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Thanks for that insight, Chris. I might be in luck then. I'm not sure what my rig weighs but it wouldn't be all that much... it's only an 8" newt. That said, it does have a Litecrawler focuser on it so it'd be on the heavier side of an 8" newt, but still... not like I'm throwing a 16" scope on it.

Fingers crossed I can balance it with just the weight it's coming with.
Hi Lee,

The CW shaft weighs 5Kg and for my 8in F5 I only needed another 5kg weight to get balance.
Looking back I probably should have put two 5Kg weights on and moved them both closer to the mount and reduce the moment arm.

I have the 14inch on there now with six 5kg weights.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (looking west.JPG)
147.3 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (skywatcher 14in on Mesu.jpg)
191.2 KB62 views