Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
tornado33

Remote Live View with the 450D

Hi
Heres screenshots of this remarkable function. Note you can even jog the focus of any AF lens by large, med or small amounts remotely using the buttons under Focus, and you see the histogram also in real time as you make exposure adjustments. For doing widefield imaging with my 50mm f1.8 lens this will be brilliant.
Ive also included a shot of the magnified screen, allowing pin sharp focus.
At night Live View magnified is so precise it shows chromatic abberation around bright streetlights. It wont show very faint stars but any reasonably bright ones will show up, and focusing is then a snap

heres also a shot of alpha centauri. Single 350thsec ISO200 with the 10 inch f5.6 newtonian, focused with live view
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (live view.jpg)
182.3 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (live viewbig.jpg)
172.4 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (alphacent 350thseciso20010in450d.jpg)
139.6 KB81 views
Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

Nice one scott. I've tried the live view function on the 40D. I found it is much easier to focus on daytime objects. Infact, very accurate for daytime use. For astro use, i normally use the diffraction spike method and find it harder to acheive accurate focus compared to using software based such as DSLR Focus. Neverless, it might be easier on bright stars and using lower shutter speed. Haven't tried 350th/s yet.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:15 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Very cool.. makes me want a 450D!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

I honestly don't know what I would do without the live view function to help with focusing. It makes life that much easier.

The only problem that I found was that when imaging a object away from the Milky Way it is almost impossible to find a star in the live view preview. This is simply fixed by moving the scope and focus on a bright star.