Old 22-05-2013, 11:33 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Original NexImage and NexImage 5

I have a NexImage 5 and was wondering if anyone has gotten either the old or new one of these products working perfectly on Mac?

I am currently running Windows 7 on my Mac (BootCamp) but since Windows 7 is heavier on computer resources than Mac I get less battery time than I do through Mac OS X.

Anyone got these cameras working and capturing on a Mac?
Old 27-05-2013, 05:40 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Anyone?
Old 27-05-2013, 06:06 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

I have Neximage 5 and a Mac, hadn't tried it. I can't find any Mac drivers for the camera so I doubt it will work. Certainly Nebulosity doesn't recognize it. Let me know if you find any native OS-X Mac drivers for it, as I would like to have the option.
Old 27-05-2013, 06:58 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerco View Post
I have Neximage 5 and a Mac, hadn't tried it. I can't find any Mac drivers for the camera so I doubt it will work. Certainly Nebulosity doesn't recognize it. Let me know if you find any native OS-X Mac drivers for it, as I would like to have the option.
Will do! If we can locate some drivers then it should not be too hard to get some decent software.
Old 27-05-2013, 06:59 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

This is all I can find.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/neximage/message/232
Old 27-05-2013, 08:58 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Downloaded the BTV trial software but couldn't get the links to the driver to work. The camera list of supported cameras for the drver didn't mention the Neximage 5 either. Hope you have better luck.
Old 27-05-2013, 09:27 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerco View Post
Downloaded the BTV trial software but couldn't get the links to the driver to work. The camera list of supported cameras for the drver didn't mention the Neximage 5 either. Hope you have better luck.
Got the drivers to install but it needs a PowerPC to get working.
Old 29-05-2013, 11:51 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

No go I am afraid.

I installed Snow Leopard and tried all the relevant drivers and software and still didn't work. I also tried a program called Crossovers which allows you to run Windows software in a Mac environment. Unfortunately that didn't work either due to the drivers but the software worked perfectly. Spent hours on this and came real close.

I will be resorting to Parallels with Windows XP installed unless I can use XP with bootcamp.
Old 29-05-2013, 11:52 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Also I emailed Celestron advising them to develop Mac software and drivers for this camera.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 AM
JulesInSpace (United Kingdom)

Hint connecting Neximage to windows VM in Parallels

I've spent a long time trying to get a Neximage 5 working with a MacBook Air on OSX Lion running Vista Home 2006 on Parallels 8. Everytime I plugged the Neximage in to the USB port nothing was detected so I couldn't tell Parallels to use it on the virtual machine, and I couldn't find a driver that would work for OSX to get past that problem. Finally I found if you go into the Parallels Desktop -> Preferences then there is a section for USB prefs, here you have the option to connect any new USB device to the active virtual machine, and Bingo, plug in the Neximage and it is immediately detected by the windows VM, and you're away.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesInSpace View Post
I've spent a long time trying to get a Neximage 5 working with a MacBook Air on OSX Lion running Vista Home 2006 on Parallels 8. Everytime I plugged the Neximage in to the USB port nothing was detected so I couldn't tell Parallels to use it on the virtual machine, and I couldn't find a driver that would work for OSX to get past that problem. Finally I found if you go into the Parallels Desktop -> Preferences then there is a section for USB prefs, here you have the option to connect any new USB device to the active virtual machine, and Bingo, plug in the Neximage and it is immediately detected by the windows VM, and you're away.
Yeah I have done that a while ago. VM software is fantastic. I installed XP because that was sufficient enough to run the Celestron software, Vista eats too much RAM!