Old 25-02-2012, 05:05 PM
allan gould

Lumicon 2" focal reducer

Ive had this focal reducer for a while and not really used it in anger, but I was interested to see what it would do with my GSO10"RC and how flat a field it would deliver. As Ive been testing quite a few scopes/flatteners/reducers/barlows on my system I chose M42 as the subject and took 9x5min exposures with my QHY10 OSC and the lumicon flattener scewed into a short Lumicon 2"-T adapter.
I was pleasantly surprised to see stars sharp to the edges but I must see if I can decrease the FL even further by increasing the chip to lens distance.
Comments welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (web.jpg)
194.1 KB186 views
Old 25-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I think you will be able to analyse results better if you shoot a pure starfield instead of a nebula.
Old 25-02-2012, 05:25 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
I think you will be able to analyse results better if you shoot a pure starfield instead of a nebula.
Would have if I could have but cloud only allowed a small hole to shoot through for a short time.
Eta would have been better but I'm satisfied with the results so far and will see how far i can push it.
Old 25-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Tandum (Robin)

What I mean is using software tools to analyse the image and give you numbers instead of the old, well that looks ok, method. I wouldn't mind a cheap reducer for my RC There are bugger all stars on the edges of that M42. I dunno how you even got the dome open without getting wet, it's been raining constantly here for days Monday looks like clearing up a bit.