Old 16-10-2009, 01:53 AM
claude2570

Sbig st-5c

I was wondering if anyone know anything about the sbig ST-5C imager/guider??

I am having trouble establishing a connection and i have tried everything under the book.. If anyone within the sydney area that could spare sometime to see me and explain how it works or what i am doing wrong will be much appreciated if they could help..

If you like to contact me (claudio) on my mobile is 0424 247 738 and i would be happy to come out to your place with the CCD and if you could show me how it works or if it works..

Thanks

claudio
Old 16-10-2009, 03:50 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Claudio

I think the ST5 has the 25 pin parallel port connector? If so, does your computer have a “native/legacy” 25 pin parallel connector?

If you are using a USB to parallel adapter, then that could be the problem?

What software are you using – CCDSoft or CCDOps?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 16-10-2009, 06:31 PM
claude2570

Ccd

Hi dennis,

It has the parallel connector to it, and its plugs into the printer port on the back of the laptop... Its not a top of the line laptop, its an old toshiba, that has the parallel ports at the back,

I just followed the instruction in the manual and plug it in the printer port and change the setting so it would recconize it.. LPT1 on the setting.. It doesnt have USB because i am not using the GSUSB adapter, so its just a serial port plug in. It has CCDops installed and all the neccessary drivers for it

But its still not working... Would like someone to have a look at it in person if anyone live close to me or in the sydney area, i am willing to travel and bring it along and maybe fiddle around with it..

thanks

glen
Old 16-10-2009, 06:46 PM
gbeal

Hi Claudio, or is it Glen.
No matter.
It is difficult to assist at a fistance, and the "get someone to look at it" option is great, as long as you can find someone.
I did a quick look at the SBIG site, and maybe if you haven't already done this, try it.
http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/softpage.htm
The software is all there to download, and the manual may assist.
The Driver-Checker will certainly be of assistance, I am sure.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 16-10-2009, 06:52 PM
koputai (Jason)

Hi Glen,
Let's start with some pretty basic questions. Not being nasty, just seing that it's set up right.
1) Do you have the camera head 25pin connector plugged in to the control box 'Camera Head' socket?
2) Do you have the 25 pin cable from your printer port of the laptop plugged in to the 'PC Parallel Port' socket on the control box?
3) When you apply 12 volts DC and turn the control box ON, does the camera head fan run?

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 16-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I used to have (+10 years ago!) the Celestron Pixcel 255 which was a re-badged ST5C and it used to run fine off a Win 98 pc with a 40M HDD and a Pentium II processor with 256K of RAM, so you don’t need a modern PC.

If I remember correctly, you should have the CCD camera, a black box, a mains adapter and at least x2 off 25-way parallel cables.
The CCD camera connects via a 25-way parallel cable to the black box.
The rear panel of the black box has x2 off 25 way D-type sockets for connecting to a PC and the camera head, an RJ11 socket for the telescope communication cable used for auto guiding, and the 12V dc power inlet socket.
The 12V dc power supply plugs into the black box to provide power for the entire system via a single cable and power point.
There was an illuminated power switch on the front of the black box.

It is good that you have a legacy parallel port – if there is an LPT1, 2 & 3 then just try each LPT in turn to see if one of them works.

I’m not sure if I had to make sure my parallel port was set to ECP, which is bi-directional? It was such a long, long time ago.

Good luck with getting it to work; it is a very nice camera.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 17-10-2009, 09:09 AM
claude2570

st5c

Hi guys,

Its actually claude, not glen, thats ok..

I have the st5c ccd and the black box, plus the 2 cable to plug into the black box, power cable and the lead to connect to the telescope..

Now on the black box there is NO light to indicate that the box is on, like a red light of some sort...

Quote:
Let's start with some pretty basic questions. Not being nasty, just seing that it's set up right.
1) Do you have the camera head 25pin connector plugged in to the control box 'Camera Head' socket?
2) Do you have the 25 pin cable from your printer port of the laptop plugged in to the 'PC Parallel Port' socket on the control box?
3) When you apply 12 volts DC and turn the control box ON, does the camera head fan run?

Cheers,
Jason.
Jason when i do this there is no fan noise on the ccd to indicate that the ccd is on,

ALL the driver and setup is install, but it still has no link up.. I have tried using all the setup eg: LPT1 through to 3, COM1 through to COM4, and still no link to the ccd.

So i have no idea why?

claude
Old 17-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2570 View Post
Now on the black box there is NO light to indicate that the box is on, like a red light of some sort...
claude
It could be that my Celestron Pixcel 255 variant had a custom illuminated indicator on/off switch that the SBIG ST5C didn’t have as standard?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 17-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Is there a fuse in a fuse holder at the back of the black box unit? If so, check to see that it hasn’t blown.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 17-10-2009, 12:44 PM
claude2570

St5c

I have already done that, i have open the unit and changed the fuse with one of the new ones that were in there..

Well i have no other idea why, so i think its time for some expert advice from ATS (advance Telescope System) maybe i will try them..

thanks

claude