Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 05-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

A relatively low cost auto guider from Orion USA (US $250)

Stumbled across this link earlier today.

StarShoot AutoGuider
"Finally, an easy-to-use, affordable autoguider for long-exposure astrophotography.
  • Uses a 1/2" format 1.3MP CMOS chip, with 5.2 x 5.2 micron pixels for highly accurate guiding
  • Compact housing measures just 2.5" x 2.35" and weighs a mere 4.4 oz.
  • Included software offers automatic calibration and guiding with a single mouse click
  • Powered via your computer's high-speed USB 2.0 connection; no other power source needed"

Cheers

Dennis
Old 05-12-2007, 02:21 PM
snowyskiesau

Looks very much like the QHY CMOS guider from http://qhyccd.com/

Price from local supplier is similar http://web.aanet.com.au/gama/qhy%20cmos%20prices.html not sure what software comes with it though.

Main web site: http://qhyccd.com/QHY5.html

Last edited by snowyskiesau; 05-12-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added QHY website link
Old 05-12-2007, 03:55 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Orion one looks good. I'd likely get one for my portable setup, to autoguide the DSLR. It'd be a nice upgrade from the ToUCam.

Roger.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I believe it is the same. The US version of the QHY guider is called a Q-guider and the current seller of these is ceasing. The orion version seems to be it's replacement. The Q-guider was partly assembled in the US by the distributer "William". I'm not sure where the orion one will be put together.
I bought mine from Gama and have been very happy with it.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 PM
pvelez (Pete)

All very interesting. Thanks for the link.

How does it stack up against a DSI as a guide cam?

I have an LXD75 which has no (obvious) guideport - I have been using PHD to date through the laptop - is there any benefit in the Orion over the DSI?

Pete
Old 06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

The Orion has square pixels and a smaller pixel size, which would mean you could use it on slightly lower focal lengths for guiding. Similar QE on both from what I understand (~60%?), so slightly less sensitive than the DSI pro when coupled with the smaller pixels. Of course, those QE numbers are third hand and therefore suspect.

The Orion wouldn't need a GPUSB for guiding while using PC mount control, so it also frees up a port on your laptop. Of course this doesn't help out with your LXD75 as you mention it has no guide port, so you would still need to release scope control from the guiding software whenever you wanted to do a goto from the PC.

Oh, and the Orion has a much larger sensor, so you have a much better chance of finding a suitable guide star
Old 06-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Gama

QHY designed the CMOS camera and manufactures it for various countries under their own label. CCD Labs also have the same thing in the USA as well.
So doesnt matter where you get it from, you are getting a good little guider and also a good planetary imager as well.
What it comes down to is software supplied with it.
There is a third party software designer that has released his own drivers and software for it and maintains, supports and also creates changes according to user feedback. This cost is normally added on top of the camera, so you need to make sure what you get.
I myself have had a deal made to supply this software via a license at a minimum cost to me and so still maintain a good price ratio. The license i supply allows for a full year of updates or newly released programs, like video capture, etc for free.

Just a note, the earlier drivers were at best confusing, this was due to the fact that every dealer had their own firmware installed in the cameras they sold. Of course this led to multiple drivers that only worked for the specific dealer, and if you loaded the wrong one, then it would not recognise the camera.
This is finally overcome by having the drivers detect which camera you have and then install the appropriote drivers for it.
JohnH has had great results using this type of camera, and has done a small post about it.

Theo.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
The Orion has square pixels and a smaller pixel size, which would mean you could use it on slightly lower focal lengths for guiding. Similar QE on both from what I understand (~60%?), so slightly less sensitive than the DSI pro when coupled with the smaller pixels. Of course, those QE numbers are third hand and therefore suspect.

The Orion wouldn't need a GPUSB for guiding while using PC mount control, so it also frees up a port on your laptop. Of course this doesn't help out with your LXD75 as you mention it has no guide port, so you would still need to release scope control from the guiding software whenever you wanted to do a goto from the PC.

Oh, and the Orion has a much larger sensor, so you have a much better chance of finding a suitable guide star
Thanks for the the tips. I use a DSI not the DSI pro so it may be a better proposition.

Dare I say it - I've given some thoughts recently to upgrading to an EQ6 or even a Losmandy so the guideport may be less of an issue

Pete