Old 16-12-2014, 02:54 PM
edelweiss (Eeda)

Beginner's dslr

Good day everyone

Can u guys help me to choose a decent dslr for astrophotography. I may also use it for my dobsonian scope (which I know it's not favorable for astrophotography, but I just wanna try). But most of the time, I would use it to capture the night sky. I've done few readings in the Internet and people highly suggest for canon and nikon.

Btw, I'm a student so I don't expect my first dslr to be highly tech or expensive. I'm thinking of choosing canon 1000d but still need some suggestions from people with better experience than me.

Ps: my deepest condolences for the families of d victims of Sydney siege.

"From God we come, to Him we shall return"
Old 16-12-2014, 03:07 PM
glend (Glen)

I would suggest you try to find a second hand Canon 450D. They are reasonabe but have everything you need for astrophotography.
Old 16-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Solitarian
Cliqueless

A common inexpensive choice for beginners is the 1100D, they work well for astro and there's plenty of useful software.

The 1100D has higher ISO than the 1000D or 450D, it's no longer made but still available as clearance stock from some major outlets

Example...http://www.harveynorman.com.au/canon...nly-black.html

Or have a hunt around and grab a second hand outfit.
Good luck.
Old 16-12-2014, 04:17 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi eeda,

thanks for the well wishes.

I would suggest something a little bit newer/different if you can afford it.
will your dob be goto? if so then you may want something that goes over iso 1600 (max of the 450d and 1000d). I always shot at ISO 3200 on my goto dob.

A dob allows you take planetary pics usually done through video recording, the 450d and 1000d don't have a video mode.

I don't think the 450d or the 1000d has video (for getting planetary photography)?

I would recommend either a canon eos 550d or a 600d. both have full HD video and iso up to 6400. if this is too expensive consider the 1100d the disadvantage is that it doesn't record in full hd (720p) but still has a video mode.

all the best

rusty
Old 16-12-2014, 06:33 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

If you've got a decent smartphone, you might be better off going afocal for a while and saving up some more for a better camera?
Old 16-12-2014, 07:48 PM
glend (Glen)

Don't get carried away with fixating on highest possible ISO number because the higher the ISO the more signal noise your going to get. Maybe if your only ever going to shoot on a dob you could live with the noisy images - but if you plan on using an Eq goto mount and maybe go to guiding in the future then you can shoot at less noisy ISO levels, especially if using 'fast' scopes. I am saying don't pay for something that you may not use. Liveview is great to have because you dont need PC to camera connectivity so I regard that as the minimum spec.
Old 23-03-2015, 05:39 PM
edelweiss (Eeda)

thank u everyone for the responses! Really helpful
Old 23-03-2015, 06:26 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

The 450D will do video via BYE and Liveview. Not sure if it will do it natively but I don't use mine for anything but astro.
Old 23-03-2015, 09:01 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Definitely check out gumtree for cheap second hand options - I picked up a 550d for $300 the other day.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:58 AM
edelweiss (Eeda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Definitely check out gumtree for cheap second hand options - I picked up a 550d for $300 the other day.

that's a bargain! I saw some add for canon 600d in gumtree,selling for $300. and i missed that chance though