Old 13-08-2013, 02:52 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Swageing Tool

Never heard of swageing till yesterday.

I use a fitPC3 as my imaging pc. Unlike its predecessor, it is too large to sit in the shelf that is part of my pier. To date, I've been siting it on an adjacent garden chair.

I wanted to attach it to the pier somehow but with the facility to remove it when necessary ie if the weather looks very nasty. The pc has no fan and so it runs quite hot so tape and velcro were not good options.

Inspired by some wire with attached hook that my missus had round the house, I set off for Bunnings to buy some wire and something to crimp the ends. The Tools Lady at B told me I wanted a swageing tool and some swages - metal loops that can be crimped around wire rope (never heard of that either) using what looks like oversized wire cutters.

Anyway, I've attached a picture of my handiwork. While at it, I crafted a couple of loops to hang the power pack for the CCD off the pier as well.

I am NOT handy as a rule - but I was chuffed with this result.

Now for the sun to set...

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FitPC.jpg)
183.8 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (Power.jpg)
188.4 KB55 views
Old 13-08-2013, 03:59 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I've seen that but never knew that was called swageing. To me swageing brings to mind Swagelok pipe fittings, with which I am all too familiar. They are used to make (hopefully) leak-tight fittings when joining pipes and tubes. I'm often seen waving He leak detectors near them.

If you want a system where the PC is supported rather than hanging then look into chassis rivets. Basically they are large rivets that are threaded on the inside. Drill any piece of metal, insert rivet with suitable gun and voila a threaded mounting point. The ones I've used are suitable for sheet metal and may not fit the wall thickness of your pier but I'm sure there must be suitable ones available. You won't find them at Bunnings. I got mine from Illawarra Fasteners so look for similar stores in your area.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:26 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

David is correct. Bunnings workers know just enough to get someone ELSE into trouble haha!

No matter what the correct term is though, you got the job done & it looks good!
Old 13-08-2013, 05:49 PM
rally

Pete,

The early models took a VESA mounting bracket which is what I use.
Just looked it up - there is a different one for the Fit-PC3
See here
http://www.amazon.com/VESA-mounting-...ref=pd_sim_e_7

Buy 4 of them !

I should add - once you screw them onto the pier or dovetail etc - its just a press and rotate to attach or remove the Fit now.

Cheers

Rally