Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Sine Wave Inverters

looking at purchasing this unit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290825926...84.m1438.l2649

I need one when out at camp,to plug lappy into and batch up data,and take data of trail cams etc.

I had a look at some cheap ebay offerings,but at a franction of the price,seemed a bit dangerous.Has anyone here other good quality sine wave
inverter,that might be worth looking at.I have a Projecta battery charger,and it has all the 'bells and whistles' it too,like the above cost more than regular cheap ones,but well worth it-its never let me down.

Be interested to see what others are using in the field.Thanks for reading
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

600w would be overkill Chris. Most laptops will draw <100watts. The 300w inverter would be enough to run your laptop and charge a DSLR battery at the same time.

Projecta are a name brand - no quality issues that I am aware of.

DT
Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
600w would be overkill Chris. Most laptops will draw <100watts. The 300w inverter would be enough to run your laptop and charge a DSLR battery at the same time.

Projecta are a name brand - no quality issues that I am aware of.

DT
I agree with David.
I recently bought a 380 Watt Sine-wave Inverter from Jaycar (Powertech brand) for use at Astrofest in case of flaky power. I ran a laptop, HEQ5 mount, 2 x heater straps, power supply for a modified DSLR plus another for it's cooler and it handled it all without a hitch.
Peter
Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I agree with David.
I recently bought a 380 Watt Sine-wave Inverter from Jaycar (Powertech brand) for use at Astrofest in case of flaky power. I ran a laptop, HEQ5 mount, 2 x heater straps, power supply for a modified DSLR plus another for it's cooler and it handled it all without a hitch.
Peter
Thanks David and Peter.

Yes,David there is a 300w Projecta one on the site for $239

That is interesting to hear Peter,that you rang quite a bit of gear of your inverter-what amp size battery did you have it hooked up too? and how often did you have to charge up battery? I have 120 w solar panels and a 98 amp hour battery.

Yes David,maybe over kill,but I was looking at using a small music player too,although I looked on back of it ,it had 23 w,I'd have thought it would have been higher.

Thanks for thoughts and feed back,I might just get the 300 w Projecta one for $239,although I like the digital read out on the bigger one.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:07 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
Thanks David and Peter.

Yes,David there is a 300w Projecta one on the site for $239

That is interesting to hear Peter,that you rang quite a bit of gear of your inverter-what amp size battery did you have it hooked up too? and how often did you have to charge up battery? I have 120 w solar panels and a 98 amp hour battery.

Yes David,maybe over kill,but I was looking at using a small music player too,although I looked on back of it ,it had 23 w,I'd have thought it would have been higher.

Thanks for thoughts and feed back,I might just get the 300 w Projecta one for $239,although I like the digital read out on the bigger one.
Chris the Jaycar one is also 239$ but is 380 watts. Might be worth a look.

I had a big deep cycle battery on it - wasn't going to run out of power this time - so definitely overkill.

Small music player is called an iPod
Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I have a 150W invertor for sale...(PM me for details)
I used this briefly to power the ol' Acer laptop, but decided to go down the car voltage convertor route instead.
I now use a collection Jaycar units, 12v to 15v (NEQ6 mount) and to 18V for the laptop direct from my 20Ah gel cell batteries.
IMHO it's much more efficient to convert DC to DC rather than to AC then back through a transformer to 18V for the laptop.
Just my 2c
Old 10-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Zen Gazer (Mike)
Looking Up

DC to AC Inverters

I've also have been looking at Inverters here's a couple of links worth a look
http://www.invertershop.com.au/
http://www.tortech.com.au/category/p...ewaveinverter/
Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks for links Mike.

The small music player I was looking powering,is a 'docking station-its got speakers,its not all that large -about a foot long-can take USB,SD,computer connect,docking for ipod,cable inlets for smart phone (hope I got all bases covered),still keen on the Projecta ones