Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 15-04-2018, 09:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

At least the software found the camera...a small step forward.
Alex
Old 15-04-2018, 09:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Here is a photo of the lens with no manual control
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180415_213142-1.jpg)
108.5 KB30 views
Old 16-04-2018, 10:47 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Here is a photo of the lens with no manual control
Alex
Hi Alex,

That lens, is the Nikkor 18-55 AF-P DX VR. It does have a manual focus ring. It is the thin ring in front of the large zoom collar. It is a relatively new DX lens from Nikon (and quite sharp BTW, even wide open) with a new type of silent pulse focus motor. This lens is backwards compatible (w/restrictions) with some older cameras. Your camera is the Nikon D5300 ( I Think) which was released well before the lens, but if the camera firmware version is C 1.01 and above it should support manual focus. Perhaps your camera firmware is the original version C 1.00 and hence wont support it until a camera firmware update. You can find the camera firmware version used by your camera via the camera setup menu.

There are some Nikon details and restrictions to use here:https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/B...d=1&lang=en_GB

If updating firmware ensure battery is fully charged

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 16-04-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 16-04-2018, 12:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for all your help however I cant raise the site for some reason.
My camera is d5500.
I have had no luck finding anything to manual focus so far.
Alex
Old 16-04-2018, 12:43 PM
JA

Quote:
Thanks for all your help however I cant raise the site for some reason.
My camera is d5500.
I have had no luck finding anything to manual focus so far.
Alex
Hi Alex,

Here is the link again:
https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/B...d=1&lang=en_GB

The D5500 is also compatible if the camera firmware is C version 1.01 or later. Check your version - It may need an update. According to the link above it's only from the D5600 onwards that it is fully compatible with AF-P type lenses out of the box.

Best
JA
Old 16-04-2018, 03:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks JA that works on the computer but not on my phone.
I have decided not to attempt it until I have finished this trip on the basis that I may stuff something up and not have a camera for the duration of this trip.
Next month will be set up for wide fields at 18 to 55 and the Milky Way a little better placed ...I could not believe how good it was last night around midnight and later...It was a smorgesborg of interesting stuff...I imaged a number of clusters but didnot identify them so I wont post them but so many clearly seen thru the finder and by eye it became tiresome..
alex
Old 16-04-2018, 04:43 PM
JA

Quote:
Thanks JA that works on the computer but not on my phone.
I have decided not to attempt it until I have finished this trip on the basis that I may stuff something up and not have a camera for the duration of this trip.
Next month will be set up for wide fields at 18 to 55 and the Milky Way a little better placed ...I could not believe how good it was last night around midnight and later...It was a smorgesborg of interesting stuff...I imaged a number of clusters but didnot identify them so I wont post them but so many clearly seen thru the finder and by eye it became tiresome..
alex
Very wise - just in case. I have heard a few horror stories with updates, not on these cameras, but it makes you sit up and think. Especially important is don't run out of battery power (hence importance of a fully charged battery).

By way of consolation, I've performed an update on a D3300 for exactly the same reason: to provide compatibility with the 18-55mm AF-P lens. Beforehand the lens would not auto-focus or manually focus. After the firmware update (3 minutes), the lens, the same one as yours, could auto-focus and manually focus via the narrow ribbed front ring on the lens (see your pic attached).

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180415_213142-1.jpg)
109.2 KB22 views