Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 02-04-2018, 08:48 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I use a small UPS whenever I go on the main on the field now at the house. The batteries at the house are usually topped up with a genie so it will be enough for the crowd. Charging stations are available on the main field.
Thanks Marc, not sure i undetstand completely, but it sounds like your saying "no AC on the imaging field".

I have found the following info related to power (provided by Trevor) in the 2011 SPSP thread: ".... we have 240v in the imaging field, just bring a 20m extension lead and a powerboard. You can bring your gen if you want, we can then take turns if necessary powering the place.

We have an off grid battery system that was able to run 8 scopes last year all night. It can be charged from the Gensets during the day. I think the house is a 1.5Kva battery system

We switched off the genset and ran on the house batteries from around 10pm.

We have a 2Kva gen up there."

So i am confused. The 2011 info sounds great, but can it be confirmed?

Also, how far is it from the camper, caravan area? I can run power from my camper batteries as long as it is limited to 25 metres.

Last edited by glend; 02-04-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:22 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Check with Trevor, but we have AC at the house from the battery bank which gets topped up by solar and genie for the SPSP crowd. I think people can bring their own genies as well. I recommend a UPS for power drops and brown outs. Not worth frying $$$ of equipmemt. Surge protector is a good idea as well. To protect the UPS. 25m is the minimum you want, depending on how many people turn up and how far from the batteries you will be.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:47 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Check with Trevor, but we have AC at the house from the battery bank which gets topped up by solar and genie for the SPSP crowd. I think people can bring their own genies as well. I recommend a UPS for power drops and brown outs. Not worth frying $$$ of equipmemt. Surge protector is a good idea as well. To protect the UPS. 25m is the minimum you want, depending on how many people turn up and how far from the batteries you will be.
Ok Marc, i have sent a PM to Trevor. Checking back on the 2011 thread it was Trevor who provided the quote in my previous message. I might just plan on bringing enough battery power to run my gear, regardless of where i setup. Thanks
Old 02-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Also, how far is it from the camper, caravan area? I can run power from my camper batteries as long as it is limited to 25 metres.
Hi Glen,
From my (limited) experience at SPSP, it is a lot further than 25 metres from van sites to the (official) observing field.

However, if you mean imagers field, that is even miles further. However, I am not sure if imagers are able to park at or near the imagers field. This is (or at least was in my time) a bloody long way from the official "Observing" field. In fact I never found it.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:03 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Hi All,

Yes, at the imaging field of the Wiruna site, we have 240v power, with enough power to run 8-12 scopes and cameras for the night. You are also welcome to bring your own generators or batteries.

If bringing your own generator, a 25m (or more) power cord is advisable to get your generator away from the main area to limit intrusion to others.

Likewise, if you want to use the house power, bring your own 25m power cord.

The house power is batteries with inverter and a backup generator. We usually run the generator till around 10pm and then go silent on battery till morning.

I start the generator up again around 8am to revive the house batteries and let others recharge their own batteries.

As the field is designed for imaging, we have a "less strict" light policy (night blindness is a byproduct of looking at a computer screen). Please put your laptop's in some sort of box to restrict light bleed (The Reject Shop has a great storage box for under $10, see picture below), and dim your display, but no need for fancy red shields if you don't want. Also as we park cars and vans also on the field, there is no fancy certificate to say you car is dark approved etc. Dim white torches are ok, just keep them aimed towards the ground and not at other peoples equipment. Just be considerate of how your stray light affects others.

As Marc stated, a small UPS can be a worthwhile investment (something like http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product...ucts_id=148270 ). This protects you against fancy footwork from fellow imagers who may inadvertently disconnect you temporarily at 2am, 28mins into a 30min subframe.

The house is a common area with kitchen, shower and toilets (and TV) for anyone to make use of. There is limited sleeping accommodation within the house on a first come, first served basis in a bunkhouse arrangement for around 12 people (8 bunks and 4 floor mattress). Just let me know ahead if you are thinking you want to use them.

I'm the "Field Marshal" for the Imaging Field (and expect to be addressed as such ) my caravan is the old white and green one next to the radio dish. I'll be there from around 1pm on Thursday, but others may be there from Wednesday night. If you are planning an early arrival please PM me.

None of the above applies to the main Wiruna observation field. They have there own stormtroopers policing their own very different rules.

Everyone is welcome at the imaging field, just turn right through the gate next to the main hall and continue down the track for about 500m.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180402_143552-1008x756.jpg)
130.5 KB26 views
Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Hi Glen,

Yes you can park your car in the imaging field, and even camp next to you scope of you like. The imaging field is now about half a football field in size. We just ask people with vans or large tents to camp around the edge of the field near the tree line, just so the best imaging spots aren't obscured by a mobile Taj Mahal.

You can get an idea of the field layout from Google https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...ca8572429760ef

Trev.

Last edited by tlgerdes; 02-04-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:21 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
This is (or at least was in my time) a bloody long way from the official "Observing" field. In fact I never found it.
It's a "Platform 9 and 3/4" thing, you weren't special enough
Old 02-04-2018, 07:30 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

We now have a full house.

26th Annual Star Party: 10th-13th May 2018 - SOLD OUT!!

Registrations are now CLOSED for 26th Annual South Pacific Star Party: 10th-13th May 2018
Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
We now have a full house.

26th Annual Star Party: 10th-13th May 2018 - SOLD OUT!!

Registrations are now CLOSED for 26th Annual South Pacific Star Party: 10th-13th May 2018
Wow I'm a lucky barstool
Old 07-04-2018, 08:04 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Hi everyone,

Information packs for the SPSP should be in your inbox in the next few days. Nothing much really has changed since last year, but please take the time to read and get excited about this year's event.

We have 2 great speakers and topics for this year's Friday and Saturday afternoon sessions.

Our keynote speaker for Saturday afternoon is Melissa Hulbert from Sydney Observatory. Melissa will share her experiences of Total Solar Eclipses in a talk titled "When Sun, Moon and Earth Align". Melissa has successfully led three total solar eclipse tours all over the world and has been to eight totalities, witnessing them all, and loves sharing the wonder and awe of this amazing natural phenomenon. She is a keen astrophotographer and has imaged all eight eclipses with great success. Travelling to watch eclipses is also a chance to immerse yourself in the culture of the country you’re visiting. Melissa will talk about the recent ‘Great American Eclipse’, some of the other interesting places she has observed eclipses from, and some of the fascinating cultural highlights she has experienced.

Our speaker on the Friday afternoon is Trent McDougall, presenting on "Makers in the Scientific Community". High-end technology is now readily available to the home hobbyist. Armed with manufacturing tools and modular electronics; home hobbyists are able to turn ideas and concepts into reality very quickly. In some instances, a completely new device of original thought can become reality within a matter of hours. Trent’s talk will discuss his experiences and projects in the last few years doing exactly this, and how he became one of the few amateurs who are active and contributing to interplanetary robotic science, from his shed at home in Australia.

If you don't get your information pack, please PM me at the end of next week.
Old 17-04-2018, 10:32 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Hi Eveyone,

There are delays with finalising the info pack and it has not been sent out yet. I hope to have an ETA this afternoon.

Trev
Old 27-04-2018, 11:31 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

For those eagerly awaiting this year's event, info packs are on their way to your inboxes as we speak. Just got mine.

Let me know if you don't get yours.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 AM
glend (Glen)

What do the weather forecast gurus have to say about SPSP from next Thursday? The extended forecast I have looked at on Accuweather are not encouraging.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
What do the weather forecast gurus have to say about SPSP from next Thursday? The extended forecast I have looked at on Accuweather are not encouraging.
dont say that
Old 04-05-2018, 10:14 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Packing my umbrella and a bottle of port.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:03 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Who hasn't sacrificed their goat on the bbq?

Wiruna is strange weather place, don't place too much emphasis on the reports. But prepare for anything.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Who hasn't sacrificed their goat on the bbq?

Wiruna is strange weather place, don't place too much emphasis on the reports. But prepare for anything.
Makes sense. Let's BBQ more goats.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:15 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Weather, not looking great - all models predicting the same thing.
Predictions are stable ie much the same day after day.

Looks like there will be plenty of time to sit around and chat.

Joe
Old 06-05-2018, 10:56 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Weather, not looking great - all models predicting the same thing.
Predictions are stable ie much the same day after day.

Looks like there will be plenty of time to sit around and chat.

Joe
Well lets see how the weather pans out in reality. But sitting around in the rain is not my idea of a great astro weekend, regardless of the company.

The ASNSW should consider an alternate New Moon weekend in June or July as a contingency. As the site is theirs it seems within their power to defer the event.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:41 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Well lets see how the weather pans out in reality. But sitting around in the rain is not my idea of a great astro weekend, regardless of the company.

The ASNSW should consider an alternate New Moon weekend in June or July as a contingency. As the site is theirs it seems within their power to defer the event.
I would be a logistical nightmare to offset the dates for 300+ attendants. April/May is the sweet spot, like August for astrofest but with the warmer weather we possibly get rained in this year. Not the usual weather for this time of year. It's still a fair way away. Maybe we get lucky.