Old 12-03-2015, 08:40 AM
glend (Glen)

To Upgrade to CCD or Mod DSLR

Before I pull the trigger on the purchase of a QHY12 camera I need to get some feedback from the 'been there - done that' brigade.

I worried by the 'maybe' low return on investment (or the value proposition) of a CCD compared to a DSLR mod, and the processing complexity learning curve and time required factors. It's a major $ investment for a retiree, time I have.

I have this Canon 450D (un-modded) sitting here that I have been using for the last couple of years. Target objects are mainly DSOs, on my 10" imaging newt (f5, guided). The alternatives I see to the QHY12 are:

1. Getting the 450D modded for astro (or trying to DIY it), cost maybe $150;
2. Buy a Canon 60Da (astro model) which can apparently still be bought in the US for around $1500 - a big savings compared to the QHY12.

Questions:

1. Would the Canon 60Da really give me any more capability than a modded 450D ( I am not convinced)?

2.. Is this a classic case of diminishing returns on investment? Where the incremental improvements in image quality come at an ever increasing cost, and the goal posts are moving as the technology improves; and we get caught up in pursuing an imaging nirvana.

I would love to wander around the imaging ground at IISCA to look at what people are doing (and using) but can't get there.

Input appreciated.

thanks
Glen

Last edited by glend; 12-03-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:23 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Glen,

if you are looking at OSC why not look at something like the central ds range (modified UV/IR and professionally cooled dslr conversions) and save yourself some cash. you are familiar with canons and perhaps byeos .

http://www.centralds.net/cam/?post_type=product
the cds-600d seems to offer amazing performance for the price.

Cheers,

Rusty
Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 PM
John K

The other alternative is to get your 450D cooled and modified.

This is the path I am following - my camera is already modified, so next step it getting it cooled.

If I was going to spend that type of cash for a QHY12 camera, I would go mono because that is where the improvement is but also more work!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:09 PM
clive milne

Another option to consider is a Quantix 6303e camera
Old 12-03-2015, 02:31 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
The other alternative is to get your 450D cooled and modified.

This is the path I am following - my camera is already modified, so next step it getting it cooled.

If I was going to spend that type of cash for a QHY12 camera, I would go mono because that is where the improvement is but also more work!
Yes, this is a good way to go if want to dip your toes in the water. I have a modded dslr and am happy with the results it can generate.
Bo
Old 12-03-2015, 03:15 PM
glend (Glen)

Thanks for those responses guys. Since I wrote that this morning I decided to go ahead and mod the 450D, and it's already done. I followed the excellent Gary Honis prictorial on modding the 450D and removed the UV/IR Cut filter (and did not replace it with anything) but left the 1st Pass Filter in place for now (I didn't have a clear glass piece to put in there). I do have a Baader 2" screw in UV/IR Cut filter that seems to run from UV 400nm out to 680 nm so I could put that on my camera adaptor if I need it. It will get tested on the 10" Imaging Newt when the weather permits, and I might stick it on the ED80 APO as well. I am not worried about missing elements and focus because all my work is manually focused and it won't be used for anything other than imaging.