Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2018, 07:20 PM
silv (Annette)

Dunn Solar Telescope evacuated; FBI closed perimeter

The Dunn Solar Telescope in New Mexico has been evacuated on Sept. 6. Since Sept 7, the FBI has closed the perimeter, no official info has been given as to why. https://sunspot.solar

With FBI involved and it being a scientific location without money ties, it can only be terrorism or national security.

In case of nat. sec., it could be that they discovered something alarming?
Does anyone have solar images from ~1 week onwards before and on Sept 6th? There are none in the forum section.

Spaceweather's archive from Sept 6 and 7 shows a sun image with a growing big coronal hole, on Sept 8 meandering from the southern end almost to the north pole. Impressive. Beautiful, too.

But ... is that something so disturbing that a telescope gets evacuated and closed off by FBI to stop news from spreading?

What can you imagine in your most daring phantasies as reason of national security or terrorism to evacuate and close a solar telescope?

Last edited by silv; 14-09-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:27 PM
silv (Annette)

This German article gives a list of conspiracy theories. Also suggests the most likely reason among them: from the elevated observatory, visitors and staff overlook a military complex where drones and rockets get tested.
Boring. But also sad - given the Idlib, Syria situation where US and others only wait for an alibi to strike against Iran and/or Russia to re-establish US/SArabia/Israel's claim to dominate the region.
Old 14-09-2018, 08:52 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

There is a long thread going on CN re this today.
One of the more relevant theories is they were
grabbing downlink data and feeding it offshore via USB sticks through the local post office.
Where are Mulder and Scully when you need em :-)

Andrew
Old 14-09-2018, 09:10 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

My guess is that a top secret government project has went AWOL near the observatory and the observatory has been closed whilst the government cleans up the mess.
Old 15-09-2018, 04:51 AM
Malcolm

Curious is the fact that the entire town of Sunspot is now deserted. All of the residents are gone. The local sheriff is out of the loop as well, has no idea what's going on. If it was a mercury spill the EPA would be involved, and they're not there. No one would need to use the telescope to spy on the White Sands AFB. There's a large coin operated telescope right there in the park that overlooks the base. Also, more than a dozen live observatory webcams are offline. Has something been seen that we are not allowed to be privy to?

I'm not saying it's aliens.....but aliens. :-)
Old 15-09-2018, 07:59 AM
silv (Annette)

yeah, it gets the conspiracy juices flowing

Thanks for mentioning the thread on CN.

Malcolm: you make it sound as if a significant area had been evacuated. Not true. Another observatory only a mile away is operational und staff still live in the vicinity. Only the campus of the one particular obs is empty. Apparently you can walk there unhindered but nobody lives/works there now.
And the post office is closed, workers transferred to the one in the next town.

I found the list of observatory webcams allegedly taken offline since Sept 6.

"The solar/space cams that were shut down include:

AXIS 232D Network Dome Camera located in Sydney Australia.
Webcams located at SOAR Observatory – The Southern Astrophysical Research Telescope located in Chile.
BRT Tenerife Telescope Webcam located in Spain.
Webcam located at Mauna Kea observatory at the University of Hawaii Hilo.
Webcam from the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope observatory in Hawaii.
Webcam at JAT OBservatory in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania."

I cross-checked them, most I couldn't find a link to or login credentials were required. The one in Hawaii has been offline since January according to archive.org waybackmachine.

The webcam thing was a detail that didn't fit my favoured theory (spies, White Sand military testing area) and now I can disregard the webcam thing as troll trash.

The coin operated scope, if it exists, is unimportant to the spy story.
Old 15-09-2018, 10:18 AM
clive milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
<snip>- given the Idlib, Syria situation where US and others only wait for an alibi to strike against Iran and/or Russia to re-establish US/SArabia/Israel's claim to dominate the region.
True that, but if you accept the past as being prologue, then rather than waiting for a pretext, they are busy manufacturing one.

For historical context, google any one of these:

Lavon affair.
Gulf of Tonkin.
USS Liberty.
Free Syria Committee
Victor Ostrovsky Trojan dick trick
Bruce Ivins Mossad suicide
Scooter Libby Valerie Plame
Iraq ISIS Baretta serial numbers
Operation Glass Houses IDF agent provocateurs
Goldman Sachs Libya Sarkozy
Sarin coming from turkey
Kiev Sniper
Why does ISIS only attack Israel's enemies
Andrew Wilkie Whistle Blower
etc)
etc).

~c

Last edited by clive milne; 15-09-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 15-09-2018, 05:39 PM
silv (Annette)

Thanks Clive. I checked 2 or 3 keywords and they point towards Israel's deepstate longterm strategies? I'm German. So in principle I'm particularly wary about things smelling of antisemitism.
But...

Here, I'll give you more food for consp.theor., pertaining to the developments before the Syrian civil war began. I just hope it's understandable English...

Since 2006, the civil war had been preceded by 4 successive droughts. (Climate change-related or not: it can also be used as prediction where it will lead to in all states along the equator - and then lead to further destabilization in refugees-receiving countries - if we do not slow down the warming. Now.)

So, these droughts...
In parallel, there was a rapprochement! between the young dictator and the EU. France had initiated it. That was in 2008. Red carpet for Assad+Wife. Assad was even ready for peace talks with Israel - under the moderation of Erdogan! His willingness was the prerequisite for a consolidated EU connection, because Israel's security is historically important, of course, even raison d'être at least of Germany. It could have come to a fruitful, also peacefully democratizing connection.

Moreover, this connection could also have served to alleviate the effects of the droughts, and thus to a more stable society in which Assad could have carried out reforms, despite the drought and the impoverishment of the rural population.

Instead, Israel started a Gaza war, exactly in the transition gap Dec-January '08/'09, when the US was waiting for the new POTUS, Obama. This Gaza war made both Erdogan and Assad angry. Something also happened with a Turkish aid ship off the coast of Gaza, which was a special affront.
The 3-week war Israel launched resulted in the separation of the young love between EU and Assad. Because Assad and Erdo broke off the peace talks with Israel, the member states of the EU had no other choice.

Clever, isn't it? No idea, why it was so important for Israel to prevent the Assad-EU connection in 2008/09. But they did it. Possibly in alignment with the US-deep-state who feared Obama's different approach was going to jeopardize their longterm strategies in the middle East.

With the consequence that Assad saw himself isolated, again, that he had to reorient himself, did not introduce reforms, and Syria became a powder keg because of the droughts and rural exodus into the cities.

I see no other reason to launch the Gaza war back then. Create facts. And do so before Obama would be able to support the EU-Assad thing.
Old 15-09-2018, 06:07 PM
silv (Annette)

why Israel would kill the budding romance?
A deepened connection between Syria and EU[member states] could have led to ideological independence from Iran, apparently Israel's eternal foe. A big country with deliberate orientation towards the EU instead of towards the Islamistic east would have been better for Israel's security. Assad's sudden ascension after his time in the UK would have been useful and hopeful for such a fruitful connection, too.

That's what I don't get. Why was it more important to keep Syria away from the EU than to gain an ally or neutral buffer against Iran?

10 years ago, Iran and Qatar had a gas pipeline planned through Syria, Lebanon, mediterranean to Italy. The project was postponed during the war, obviously. Was that pipeline project somehow a reason for Israel's Gaza war?
Old 16-09-2018, 07:47 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Curious is the fact that the entire town of Sunspot is now deserted. All of the residents are gone. The local sheriff is out of the loop as well, has no idea what's going on. If it was a mercury spill the EPA would be involved, and they're not there. No one would need to use the telescope to spy on the White Sands AFB. There's a large coin operated telescope right there in the park that overlooks the base. Also, more than a dozen live observatory webcams are offline. Has something been seen that we are not allowed to be privy to?

I'm not saying it's aliens.....but aliens. :-)
I doubt it's aliens. I think it's related to them trying to explain the unusual group of sunspots recently observed by the telescope. See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sunspot-classified.jpg)
132.2 KB47 views
Old 16-09-2018, 08:42 AM
silv (Annette)

"Where are Mulder and Scully when you need em "
They are there!!!
A local with his son walked around the campus and filmed it. Behind the locked glass door of one of the buildings stood a trash can. And guess what was placed on top of it in clear view? A CD box of an old X-Files computer game! Isn't that totally hilarious?
Old 16-09-2018, 10:36 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
I doubt it's aliens. I think it's related to them trying to explain the unusual group of sunspots recently observed by the telescope. See attached photo.
oh that is GOLD!
Old 16-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

https://youtu.be/9tLlaNc39gM

Found this about it, have not had a chance to watch it yet. Posted 2 days ago
Old 16-09-2018, 01:23 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzburg View Post
https://youtu.be/9tLlaNc39gM

Found this about it, have not had a chance to watch it yet. Posted 2 days ago
as nutty as squirrel poo if you ask me. Here's another nutter video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLdHksmAJo4

almost as bad as flat Earthers.
Old 16-09-2018, 02:38 PM
DarkArts

If I were the US Govt and I wanted to conduct a major training exercise out in the field, in a location where the US Govt has legal authority to do so ... like a Govt-owned research facility ... then I couldn't think of a more suitable site than the Dunn Solar Telescope observatory. It has a major facility that can be shut down in the short term with negligible impact, power, utilities, govt offices, residences, and is sufficiently isolated to cause minimum disruption. Proximity to two military installations provides a natural extension to the exercise, where other concurrent exercise activities may well have occurred, but would not be observable to the public.
Old 16-09-2018, 03:36 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I have it from my neighbourg's good source that planet X is hiding behind the sun for a sneak attack.
Old 16-09-2018, 03:38 PM
silv (Annette)

@DarkArts Good idea! And leaving the campus deserted for 10+ days afterwards is an experiment as to how the public reacts to such an evacuation, how that can be stifled [on the internet], as well as how the science guys hold still in an event like this?
In any case, those 3 elements can be observed here, analysed, and knowledge used for future reference.

The left X-Files CD box marks the failure of the communication by FBI and head of facility. Clearly, they couldn't convince all staff to conspire with them. At least one clown had to go semi-public
The applied communication design would have to be improved. If not by [threat of] violence then maybe by monetary incentives. 2+ weeks paid vacation apparently wasn't enough to buy their silence.

Last edited by silv; 16-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 16-09-2018, 06:27 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

My take on this?

Something else is happening, and this is just a distraction to divert attention. It has just the right mix of intrigue, reputable people involved (ordinary scientists), and endless possibilities (inside the Ob, the Sun and therefore Earth's future, Aliens, space in general, etc).

I'd ignore this, and look harder at less interesting things in the world, in order to find something more.... interesting.

/tinfoil hatted rant.
Old 16-09-2018, 07:18 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I've been sculpting this shape with my mashed potatoes for months now and just now ...it all makes.. sense ,, oh great now a black helicopter has landed in the paddock across the way i think this is all a bit stra......
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (images.jpg)
6.1 KB31 views
Old 16-09-2018, 09:32 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
I've been sculpting this shape with my mashed potatoes for months now and just now ...it all makes.. sense ,, oh great now a black helicopter has landed in the paddock across the way i think this is all a bit stra......
lolz!!!
Closed Thread