ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-09-2018, 01:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

How much time for astronomy.

When I think of how much I have learned to get to the level of advanced beginer at most...the optics the gear etc etc and now I find days upon days go on say just trying to learn processing at really still a most basic level and learning programs phd dss there is a long list...so its a great deal...how long would a course go taking a new starter to processing narrow band and have visual experience and observed all the available targets.

And it does not stop...

How do you fit it all in?

Alex
Old 13-09-2018, 01:52 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
And it does not stop...

How do you fit it all in?

Alex
I don't. I have a massive 'to do' list.

Basically I just do some visual observing when I can and focus on enjoying that. I wouldn't even pretend to have the time or energy for imaging.
Old 13-09-2018, 02:33 PM
leon

I thought i could do everything Alex, when i was imaging, and work it out only to get frustrated.
My best mate a personal friend who by the way has nothing to do with Astronomy said, "if you want it to work, keep it simple"

And ya know what don't try so hard, keep it simple, I found this out even in my ordinary photography and it dose work.

Stay well mate.

Leon
Old 13-09-2018, 03:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Guys.
I just had a break thru with layering in startools. I thought it was so complex that I needed to read the manual first but say a simple vid and figered I was probably way ahead of the guy who made the vid but I just tried it and easy as...my stumbling block is how to save RGB+NB Individual files and align them all because layers seems not to stack...they need to line up...and you would think you could set up the program to align stuff...maybe send them an email???
But you can do it in DSS but I just can not work it out.
All I want is like a template so all stacks fit the field in the template...there is an easy way but so far I cant find it.

I am just stressed that it has got so big and I have these things to build for it...when I get the observarory built up North...anyways lots to learn...
I always just wanted things simple..for one part of my life I set up real simple...one knife fork and spoon a pan a pot four tracks suits one jacket monk like...happoest time of my life...and then the stuff and people filled the void.

But I tasted it...blis...and all I would think about is gravity☺
Alex
Old 13-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

The learning process is why I took up this hobby (obsession?) in the first place, its such a huge learning curve that as soon as I think I have something sorted, something new pops up and its back to the research stage again.

Its such a great way to work out the ol grey matter, I love it. Plus getting out under the stars with no one else around allows me to recharge the batteries just for a little bit.

I might only get a few nights a month under the stars but they are worth their weight in gold.

Just my musings.
Old 13-09-2018, 05:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Asttronomy saved me a few times.

I lost all in a bush fire and it was astronomy that pulled me back from giving up.

And I have leg problems which I tend to let me feel sorry for myself...the demands of just moving the astronomy gear around or building a small observatory in the garage getting it up the stairs made me do stuff I could not be bothered to do otherwise...and honestly I can feel my brain is sortta working...I was stuff the directions I can work it out person to printing out the manuals and reading them and even though its something I have never heard of learn up and move forward.

I been thinking of doing some strange art work...like a print out on canvass of say the swan nebula with a little bit of touch up to bring out the swan..more swan than not...I had some photos I had printed out at office works to see how they would go...anywaysa mate sees themand he he looks at then and as an example the best example he goes" look there is a dog there its the face of an Australian Silky"...well heck I cant look at that image and see anything but that damn dog...so a few photos print them up and a touch up..actually do the touch up in photo shop...although folk would get a better kick if it was paint on canvas maybe....

alex
Old 13-09-2018, 05:15 PM
glend (Glen)

DSS layer (group) file stacking is pretty darn easy, I recall explaining it here recently to someone else. Aligning four or so files is much less work than stacking 80 -100 subs to create a layer or group file. There are some online tutorials as well.
Old 13-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
I’m fully retired now nearing 60 and this is my 3rd year into astronomy ( 1st year spent doing a lot of reading, researching and getting my head around the basics of this hobby )
I plan to spend the next 20 years finding out what it’s all about , if my health holds out and I can keep up with the ever advancing technology

What an amazing past time to get your teeth into and your brain challenged ( although the wife wouldn’t totally agree, takes up a lot of your time )

Martin
Old 13-09-2018, 06:19 PM
kens (Ken)

My workflow in DSS is to load up each channel into a separate group with their relevant calibration files
I load one dummy image file onto the "Main" group because it has special (unwanted) properties. But it needs one file for another group tab to appear.
Then I register everything but don't stack. This can take a while if you have lots of subs.
The best image I copy back in Windows and call "Ref.fits" and I load it onto the Main group.
Leave it unchecked, right click and Use as Reference Frame.
Remove the dummy file that was on Main group.
Then one group at a time I select all the files in the group and right click to Check them.
Then I stack that group and save the output file. Make sure you don't re-register the files.
When done I Uncheck All then move on to the next group.
Rinse and repeat for all groups

All your stacked images will now be aligned
Old 13-09-2018, 10:38 PM
glend (Glen)

I have written up my very simple DSS procedure for registering Group Filter Output files:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...84#post1394884

I have used this technique for years for my mono imaging file processing, and it always works quickly and is absolutely accurate when the files are moved to Photoshop or other apps for layering and further processing.

It is much simpler (and faster) than seeding reference files into each Group processed, forcing referencing against that seeded file, and then going back and deleting the seed reference files in each Group.

I hope it helps DSS users. Sadly this is not mentioned in the DSS Users Manual but does appear in a few threads on the Cloudy Nights Forum. Someone should make a utube video of this technique, it would only take a few minutes to demonstrate.
Old 14-09-2018, 11:04 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and particularly Ken and Glen.
Maybe Logan could do I vid he is very good in that department.
Alex
Old 14-09-2018, 02:48 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Guys.
I just had a break thru with layering in startools. I thought it was so complex that I needed to read the manual first but say a simple vid and figered I was probably way ahead of the guy who made the vid but I just tried it and easy as...my stumbling block is how to save RGB+NB Individual files and align them all because layers seems not to stack...they need to line up...and you would think you could set up the program to align stuff...maybe send them an email???
But you can do it in DSS but I just can not work it out.
All I want is like a template so all stacks fit the field in the template...there is an easy way but so far I cant find it.
Alex, told you to contact me when you got to the processing bit. I have an easy method for getting all the images lined up.

Collect all the images, RGB,Ha etc into their own folders.

Using DSS stack the lot using Darks, Bias etc if you have them BUT ... first before you stack them go into the Register settings, Setting Parameters and then the Intermediate Files and select 'Create a registered/calibrated file for each light frame'
then run the stacking process.

It will run, stack all the images and create new registered images in each of the folders for each filter. You will get a grey 'Autosave' image at the end, nice but not useful.

Then stack each on the filters registered image files individually. They are already aligned. When it comes to creating the channels they will just copy and paste onto the new image.

I just rename each autosave in each folder to Autosave R or G or B as appropriate. Copy them out to a clean folder and do the channel combination exercise.

They are already aligned so no need to twiddle with anything.
Peasy !

Oh! and turn OFF the 'Create a Reg file ..." option for the second stacking process.
Old 14-09-2018, 05:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Brent I have got ahead of myself and trying to combine everything in star tools it did not dawn that images would not line up...the layers tool should have something that allows you to put in any file type of any size upside down or sidways and it lones them up so you could line up and srack every image on your hard drive od an object...the subs along with your processing efforts☺

Alex
Old 14-09-2018, 06:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I just rounded up all data for the prawn neb and loaded it in dss and told it to stack 100% and it says its going to take 24 hours to just register them...I recon dss stacker will give it in☺there is approx 6 and a half hours of 2 minute captures and probably some bad captures ...and half are upside down so it will be interesting to see what comes..I meant to stack best 80%☺and I meant to frame the comon region of both so the fial if it comes will be L Shaped at a guess☺
Alex
Old 14-09-2018, 06:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Only 20 so its running faster than its prediction..
Alex