Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2018, 11:55 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Vela SNR by Jackson Pollock

The Vela Supernova Remnant is made up of many complex tendrils of energised gas and covers an area of sky 8 degrees wide in the southern constellation of Vela. It was formed by a star 900 light years away, that exploded about 12,000 years ago.

This is a wavelength ordered, emission line image, taken using H-alpha, Oxygen3 and Sulphur2 narrow band filters and frames about a quarter of the huge ancient feature.

Remarkably this 7hrs of data was collected in barely 8 hours of darkness (including regular manual focusing and a manual meridian flip, re acquire and re framing) all on one night and under a 90% full moon (not ideal)

The OIII tendrils are the most fascinating feature of this SNR so I particularly wanted to emphasise these, a moonless night would have helped here of course. The result reminds me of a Jackson Pollock painting

All details are under the image

Vela Supernova Remnant - click cursor on the image and move it to pan around an enlarged version.

Bigger version HERE
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Vela SNR small.jpg)
183.5 KB210 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 05-03-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 AM
speach (Simon)

equipment note would be nice
Old 05-03-2018, 07:44 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Thats massive and as ever so detailed and sharp Mike!

It's personal taste I suppose, but many might darken the background a bit. Just an idea
Old 05-03-2018, 07:50 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Very dramatic, Mike, and you certainly achieved the goal of emphasising the Oiii tendrils! It would look great on a wall. And at a fraction of the cost of a real Pollock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speach View Post
equipment note would be nice
There are some details if you follow one of the links to Flickr.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:29 AM
glend (Glen)

I like it as it is, no need to darken the background. I know through my own wall mounted Vela SNR print, it is an object that needs to be as bright as possible. I have a gallery light on my metal print, but think a backlit acrylic print would 'pop' better.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Stevec35 (Steve)

That's a different look Mike but I like it. Matter of taste I guess but I think it could use a bit more contrast though.

Steve
Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

He he thanks for checking the Done/Pollock abstract expressionist artwork out

I often err on the side of less contrast for some reason...having said that, it looks slightly different on different monitors..so I'll have a look later

Simon (Speach), if you can see an image I post via a link.. then you can see all the equipment/capture details underneath it

Cheers
Old 05-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nice one Mike

But what's with the star halos? I thought only cheapie scopes/cameras did that
Old 05-03-2018, 02:17 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Nice one Mike

But what's with the star halos? I thought only cheapie scopes/cameras did that
Nup even $70K RC's show strange optical or reflective artifacts, GSO RC's and Newtonians can show strange radiating arcs in their diffraction patterns, even expensive Richardi Honders show strong circular rings around stars. In the case of halos like these, the optical design, the last element of the corrector or flattener, the CCD optical window, the filters and even the CCD cover slip, can all interact with reverse reflections to some degree or another, to cause interesting halos....in the end it is part and parcel of many opto-mechanical imaging systems... in some form or another

They are more prominent in some images than others, depending on the filters I have used and what combination I blended them as well as the degree of stretching and other secretive stuff I do

Mike
Old 05-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I was being cheeky of course, but I was genuinely surprised, I appreciate the care and attention you take with your images.

Looks a great piece of sky too
Old 05-03-2018, 03:56 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Hmmmm ... A little too much blue (your histograms are out of whack IMO) and a little too much saturation for my taste but, overall, with the wide field and fantastic structure, it's a compelling image. Tak make good scopes don't they!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Nup even $70K RC's show strange optical or reflective artifacts, GSO RC's and Newtonians can show strange radiating arcs in their diffraction patterns, even expensive Richardi Honders show strong circular rings around stars.
Thank goodness mine's only a $25k'ish RC (with depreciation = $100), so no substantial artifacts.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:56 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I love the elctric blue colour - and it's far more interesting than any of Pollock's loads of bollocks...
Have you got the focal reducer for the Tak? Not that you've run out of material at that focal length, but we get another couple of years of superb images when you do start using one
cheers,
Andrew
Old 05-03-2018, 04:21 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post

I was being cheeky of course, but I was genuinely surprised, I appreciate the care and attention you take with your images.

Looks a great piece of sky too
Ha ha I know, I am the king of Cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Hmmmm ... A little too much blue (your histograms are out of whack IMO) and a little too much saturation for my taste but, overall, with the wide field and fantastic structure, it's a compelling image. Tak make good scopes don't they!!

Thank goodness mine's only a $25k'ish RC (with depreciation = $100), so no substantial artifacts.
The data for this was pretty shight actually, with a near full moon (stupid, especially for the OIII... but I needded my fix ) and not enough data, so I definitely pushed this one driven by an insatiable level of Andy-esque artistic enthusiasm .. so forgive me if my histograms do not conform to the norm...I was being out there But I am glad you found it compelling none the less cus that was completely my aim

Oh and I love your scope

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
I love the elctric blue colour - and it's far more interesting than any of Pollock's loads of bollocks...
Have you got the focal reducer for the Tak? Not that you've run out of material at that focal length, but we get another couple of years of superb images when you do start using one
cheers,
Andrew
Cheers Andrew and yes I will likely obtain the FR at some stage but it is bloody expensive...but as you say I can then bombard you all with 6deg square shots of stuff

Mike
Old 05-03-2018, 05:53 PM
gregbradley

The FSQ is a real deep imaging instrument. I used to marvel at that. Great tendrils and detail but as you say its a bit too pushed. I well understand the desire to get an image out when the opportunity arises.

Greg.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:17 PM
alpal

Hi Mike,
it's a very pretty picture.
While there is more saturation than would be normal from you
it's got that wow factor.
Many APODs are like that - I think they get into LAB mode &
push the picture as far as they can for a stunning effect.

cheers
Allan
Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

That's one hell of a lot better than the utter vomitous Pollock crap that the Australian Gubmint paid WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAY too much for ($1.3 million in 1973..thanks again Gough). Every time I look at it, it just disgusts me (Pollock's bollocks, not your image).

Last time my daughter approached Blue Poop...errr...Poles...too closely and the alarm went off, the guard got all huffy. I told her it's OK, no one in their right mind wants to touch the trash.

Oh, yeah, anyway, you distracted me sideways. NICE image Mike, in your typically flamboyant vividness.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:41 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
The FSQ is a real deep imaging instrument. I used to marvel at that. Great tendrils and detail but as you say its a bit too pushed. I well understand the desire to get an image out when the opportunity arises.

Greg.
Oh yes, sometimes, the pull of a clear steady sky is addictive ...even with a god damn full Moon ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Hi Mike,
it's a very pretty picture.
While there is more saturation than would be normal from you
it's got that wow factor.
Many APODs are like that - I think they get into LAB mode &
push the picture as far as they can for a stunning effect.

cheers
Allan
Thanks Allan...yep, that's pretty much what I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
That's one hell of a lot better than the utter vomitous Pollock crap that the Australian Gubmint paid WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAY too much for ($1.3 million in 1973..thanks again Gough). Every time I look at it, it just disgusts me (Pollock's bollocks, not your image).

Last time my daughter approached Blue Poop...errr...Poles...too closely and the alarm went off, the guard got all huffy. I told her it's OK, no one in their right mind wants to touch the trash.
Well, aaactually...no wonder the guard got huffy..the great man Gough authorised a bloomin master stroke

Quote:
Oh, yeah, anyway, you distracted me sideways. NICE image Mike, in your typically flamboyant vividness.
Thanks and same for your reply post

Mike
Old 05-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Spectacular Mike!

Very painterly & I love the colour palette you've chosen.

Doesn't quite hold up to your usual level of technical mastery though, (the stars do look kinda odd) but if you're willing to let go of a little of that then BOOM, it jumps off the page!

Good one
Old 06-03-2018, 09:52 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Spectacular Mike!

Very painterly & I love the colour palette you've chosen.

Doesn't quite hold up to your usual level of technical mastery though, (the stars do look kinda odd) but if you're willing to let go of a little of that then BOOM, it jumps off the page!

Good one
Thanks Andy, she's bright and colourfull huh? ..thought you might like it, hopefully it still looks like an astro image though ...the colours aren't that far off true colour really.

Now, by odd, I assume you mean the small halos around some of the stars..? These halos are more prominent in NB and the heavy stretching I did plus the fact there is no RGB star data (which shows no halos) has made'em a bit more obvious

You can see what straight LRGB data looks like with this outfit in my Witchhead shot

Mike
Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

That you achieved this in one bright and moonlit night is extraordinary.

Bravo.