Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
Old 18-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Garnimoa (Gerald)

How do I use Sharpcap to capture DSO?

Hi I've made a gradual transition from DSLR (using BackyardNikon/EOS) and very happy with my results so far, in the past 18 months of starting my astrophotography adventure. My equipment is a Nikon d5500, telescope is an ED100 Refractor and a 6in GSO550 Reflector. I use a HEQ5 mount and use a 80mm guidscope with a ZWOASI120MM camera that guides perfectly with PHD2 - Well as long as my polar algnment is okay ��

I've recently bought a ZWOASI178 camera to take my planetary shots and very happy with the results I am getting, using Sharpcap 2.9 and now version 3.

My question is how do I go about capturing DSO with it using Sharpcap, I'm finding it very difficult to see stars as easily as I could using BackyardNikon. I suppose I could stick with DSLR for the DSO stuff, but I don't really want to and really am asking, what are the steps involved in getting stars, in focus and the settings I need to look at in Sharpcap.

Any advice would be appreciated or if you know of any links that address a step by step procedure in operating the Sharpcap Long exposure feature.

Thanks in Advance and clear skies folks!
Gerald (Garnimoa)

Last edited by Garnimoa; 18-07-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 19-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Garnimoa (Gerald)

Anyone???
Old 19-07-2017, 07:28 PM
spiezzy

Hi Gerald
I have no experience with sharp cap but I am sure there are some You Tube Tutorials on it I have been using Nebulosity 4 with my ASI1600mc and it is very easy to use you could also try the trial version of that as well for DSOs not for Planetary
cheers Pete
Old 19-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Garnimoa (Gerald)

Thank you Pete
Old 20-07-2017, 07:48 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I dont use that gear but you can start with a bahtinov mask to help you focus stars. I don't expect you to be able to see dsos on your screen, they are too faint. you have to be precise precise precise with alignment and certain your goto is putting them in shot. To capture look for exposure settings, you want to increase this far far away from what you use for planets. You'll need to figure out the numbers but a good tracking 5 second exposure should give you an idea if you are capturing your target. Tune from there. bahtinov + exposure i think is what you are asking for.
Old 20-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Garnimoa (Gerald)

Thank you Sil
Old 20-07-2017, 09:19 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

A bahtinov is best but in sharpcap there is also fwhm. Just run short subs (0.2 - 2secs) with fwhm. Set gain high so you can see some starts and focus until it reaches a minimum value.

I haven't used that camera but others like it (asi224/071). For live viewing of DSOS I run 2-5sec subs at really high gain and line up the object.

Then I do10-30sec subs with midrange gain. You'll start to see something - check the histogram to see that's it a bit off the left side. Then start the live stacking - you can tweak the histogram to bring out the object. You'll easily see brighter DSOs within a minute or so.

Also there's now a manual for it
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...i3-cb4d7jlwqDg

There's some great youtubes on it. And depends on whether you want quick images or nice clean ones. Sharpcap is more for quick live stacking

Last edited by ChrisV; 20-07-2017 at 09:35 PM.