ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-03-2020, 09:09 AM
Saturn488

Melbourne conditions last night

Was anyone in Melbourne outside with their telescope last night? I went out around 19:30 til around 23:00 until the clouds came rolling in.

Had numerous issues with PHD2, I could not get a decent guide as it took more than 10 minutes for it configure then would complain about the RA and DEC. The best SNR I could get was 20.

I feel the conditions wern't the clearest last night even though it looked pretty damn clear with the naked eye!
Old 27-03-2020, 09:43 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I was up in Heathcote last night and 10 steps from my caravan the skies were pretty good. Better that Wednesday night with the 25+km/h winds all night.

Could have been a really bad jet stream but I didn’t pay any attention.
Old 27-03-2020, 11:18 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Yes, something was definitely off, my stars were very blobby (at 135mm!) after autofocus.
Old 27-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

It was up there with the best I have ever seen here in SA. phd was almost flatline and the FWHM was well below the system design assumption of 2 arcsec. Have not had a look at the data, but it was pretty speccy on the acquisition display.

Cheers Ray
Old 27-03-2020, 07:16 PM
jamespierce (James)

My dome in western Victoria ran ok for the first half of the night, but I think there was some very thin high cloud or moisture. It automatically closed around 2am with very patchy cloud.

I've seen the same thing a lot lately... My boltwood doesn't report sky temperatures anything like what I expect for a clear sky which says to me there is moisture up there. My FWHM was up and down around ~4... In good conditions I'll be solid 2.something.
Old 27-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Chrys

Problem with PHD2 could have been high Jetstream +100kts and / or high level cloud
Do you calibrate on a good night near the celestial equator and north meridian and save it ( auto restore calibration ) ?? As long as you don’t rotate your guide camera you can reuse a good saved calibration for months and months . I have to strip down and rebuild my rig each time and reuse my saved calibration , I’m guiding in around 20 seconds. Also have you saved a bad pixel map and built a dark frame library in PHD2 ? Helps with finding and locking on to a good guide star even in poor conditions.
Cheers
Martin