Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Kunama

Set up the 18" on Mt Stromlo earlier this week.....

Aligned on Rigel Kent and Altair using a Nagler 22T4 and just centred the defocused star image, alignment successful at 0.00 I doubt I will ever beat that

After that even the smallest objects at 319x were right in the centre of view...
Old 07-10-2016, 10:43 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Sounds like a certain Vixen GPD2 you used to own Matt Out of ALL the myriad of astro stuff I have had, it's the one constant - I tend to work my scope choices around the mount! (I sold the mount twice - bought it back each time, as nothing came close to how precise that particular GPD2 is)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:17 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Extreme Resolution Encoders - Oh yeah, baby!

I've just put through its paces these new extreme res encoders on my scopes. My big dob has 311,296 step encoder on the az axis and 650,500 step encoder on the alt. I then went nuts finding object after object from one side of the sky to the other and landing each comfortably inside an 8' true field of view eyepiece.

Oh, and I didn't need to change the way/speed at which I moved my scope.

Awesome Serge! Truly AWESOME!

Alex.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Allan

That sounds great Alex, I'm pleased it's working so well for you.

I get my new SDM soon and it will have these new encoders fitted. Coupled with the Mpoint calibration and ServoCAT Autolock, the Nexus DSC provides professional grade performance. Especially as my dob will be permanently housed in a ROR obs. I also hear there's possibly a home function on its way for the Nexus DSC, so I will only have to do my 2 star alignment once, and never need do it again.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:31 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Allan,

Do you have any updates on Serge's EQ6 / nexus project? I emailed him some days ago and he has yet to reply to me. From what he told me at SPSP this will be a straight plug and play for the EQ6 using the existing hardware on the drive.
Did I understand him correctly?

John
Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Allan

Hi John. Serge has had my Atlas AZ/EQ-G for 11 weeks now, so I think it is a bigger job than he anticipated. That is to get the Nexus DSC to run the mount in Alt/Az mode only.

I'm not aware of what will be required to get the EQ6 to run via Nexus. I know it's not currently a plug and play as you mention. I haven't asked him about that because running my mount in EQ is not something I'm interested in. I suspect he will need an EQ6 mount on hand to get it configured and then release a new firmware update, which is the process we are going through at the moment with my mount.

I'm sure Serge will get to your email, or post here if he sees your question. I do know he is very busy, the price you pay for being so popular.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:51 PM
Wilso

Nexus Dsc

👍👍👍
For nexus Dsc, only had it since Christmas and love it, makes life easy to find any object you want.
I use a fixed pier and to have a home function would be great, no more star alignments again! :
Old 11-07-2017, 07:22 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post

I'm sure Serge will get to your email, or post here if he sees your question. I do know he is very busy, the price you pay for being so popular.
Thanks Allan,

In fact Serge contacted me a short time after your post! He is still working on it and hoping to complete by the end of the month. I will leave him to do his good work. I am keen to get the Nexus. The SynScan has room for only 25 user objects and I have filled it with obscure double stars. Been outside the past hour and a half checking them out (seeing not good). Am keen to get a controller/database with a bit more capability.

John
Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

I've had my Nexus DSC since February.

My 12" Lightbridge was used as "patient zero" to produce a kit for these scopes. (All sizes)

I couldn't be happier with Serge's excellent service & advice.

The Nexus is simply brilliant, and talk about encoder resolution!!

AZ: 311,296.

Alt: 952,000.

Simply, the best!
Old 14-01-2018, 02:14 PM
astronut (John)

I bought my Nexus DSC from Serge in Feb 17.
My 12" Lightbridge was the "development model" for the "Lightbridge kit"

The encoders are just the start, AZ 311296 steps, Alt 952000 steps.
Serge had to design and then produce all the hardware to fit my scope.

With my personal setup of control box (dew heaters & fan), I couldn't have the post with the dsc on the side of the mount (toward the rear)
I had to mount it on the side (front end)

Whilst this worked out, ok. I did tend to lean into it, especially with a lot of clothes on for winter.
I have now moved it to the upper tube assembly (with mount and cable relocations), this is infinitely better to read and use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1a.jpg)
165.6 KB238 views
Click for full-size image (2a.jpg)
140.1 KB213 views
Click for full-size image (3a.jpg)
122.5 KB218 views
Click for full-size image (5a.jpg)
104.1 KB198 views
Click for full-size image (7a.jpg)
147.9 KB213 views
Old 28-10-2019, 07:08 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I received my Nexus DSC recently as part of my Gondwana 12" Marana package.

I've only had the scope out twice thus far (thanks FNQ weather) & only connected up the Nexus the second time around.

An awesome product, so simple & intuitive; I am really impressed with it.

Serge worked with Alex to upgrade my Marana to 311,296 step magnetic encoders on both Az & Alt & the resolution for finding targets is phenomenal.

Additionally, Serge & Alex worked out where to attach a bracket to the Marana without impeding the ease of use which is one of the major design features of the Marana.

Congratulations Serge, outstanding product that is a joy to use.
Old 18-04-2020, 08:58 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Just an update to the Nexus DSC thread..... and thanks to Serge

I now have the Nexus running my SW AZ-EQ6GT and am retiring the Synscan V5 to run the AZ-GTi .

After a lengthy chat with Serge to sort out some issues I was having, Serge sent me the latest firmware ( 1.3.9e ) and guided me through a few setting changes, the end result being that the AZ-EQ6GT now runs perfectly in Alt-Az mode with my TMB-LZOS 152/1200 on the right side of the mount !!!

This is the end result of the work Serge did with Allan's Orion mount and brings to the AZ-EQ6GT the benefits of the Nexus instead of the frustrations of Synscan......

I still have to work out how to mount the DSC to the scope/mount...
pictures later...
Old 18-04-2020, 02:15 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Good one Matt. Serge sure does provide great service for a great product. I banged my nexus on a counterweight and cracked the screen. Serge had it repaired and back to me in no time and he replaced the rubber feet and put on latest updates on his own accord. The little he charged was almost laughable. Excellent service! Cheers, Richard
Old 08-03-2021, 04:25 PM
astronut (John)

NEW Nexus DSC Pro. https://www.astrodevices.com/shop/in.../Nexus+DSC+Pro
Old 16-03-2021, 12:38 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Nexus DSC Pro

I have been privileged to see the Nexus DSC Pro go through its design and development. Many hours of conversations about the many new features and improvements to the features that have come across from the original Nexus DSC.

Serge's attention to detail extends to improvements that have not been mentioned. Subtle improvements that go a long way to making the Nexus DSC Pro an easier unit to use. One of these is the work that has gone into the OLED display where many hours went into finding ways to improve readability in the dark.

A huge amount of work has gone into producing this new product. And this has come about not from one person’s own input, but from the input of customers who talk to Serge. Customers being a major source of inspiration.

Congratulations Serge

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 16-03-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 16-03-2021, 09:10 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Just receive my new encoder last week. Time to modernize my 12".
Old 16-03-2021, 10:01 PM
glend (Glen)

I installed a Nexus system on my 16" f5 Dob when they first came out, and it was a fantastic product then. Glad to see Serge is continuing to improve this essential accessory. Highly recommended.
Glen