Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-03-2015, 02:24 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

(UPDATE WITH IMAGES) Strange star shape through refractor??

Hi all, I'm kinda freaking out a bit because something strange happened during an observing session last night with the TAK. I was out on Sunday night with no dramas. Went out last night and every star when in focus appears like a pinpoint, followed by a huge teardrop shape.

I didn't think of getting image of it at the time, but I'll try next chance I get. I don't know what it could be, I haven't bumped the scope at all or anything. It goes from its box to the mount and then back again.

I don't want to start adjusting its collimation or anything I'm not familiar with.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?

Erik

Last edited by E_ri_k; 25-03-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 23-03-2015, 02:49 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Dew on the lens ?
Old 23-03-2015, 02:51 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Dew on the lens ?
No, there was no dew anywhere, or dust from what I could see.
Old 23-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Akwestland (Andrew and Kim)
Andrew and Kim

Erik,

I am sorry that I cannot offer anything with your problem. However I would like to say hello as there are people out here that are on IIS. Reason being that I do not live far from you. Where do you do your observing from out of curiosity.

Anyway, G'Day.

Cheers,
Andrew & Kim.
Old 23-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Erik, first of all do not touch the collimation on a Tak refractor, leave that up to Takahashi, no one else knows what to do with them. I can speak from experience on this matter. That is the content of another thread. My first toa130 had astigmatism and was sent back to the factory under warranty and they replaced the whole telescope. The star shapes on this were of a sort of triangular shape. It would be much easier to view an image of the star shapes to form an opinion.
Just briefly I managed to knock the collimation out of kilter when the scope clipped my roll off roof. At the advice of the Australian distributor I sent it to a mob in Sydney who he said were qualified to collimate my TOA130. They basically trashed it, and it had to go back to Japan to be rebuilt back to new specs. That company in Sydney has since ceased trading, which is not a surprise to me.
What I am saying is. if it is out of collimation, send it back to Takahashi, let no one else near it!!!
Old 23-03-2015, 04:48 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Erik, first of all do not touch the collimation on a Tak refractor, leave that up to Takahashi, no one else knows what to do with them. I can speak from experience on this matter. That is the content of another thread. My first toa130 had astigmatism and was sent back to the factory under warranty and they replaced the whole telescope. The star shapes on this were of a sort of triangular shape. It would be much easier to view an image of the star shapes to form an opinion.
Just briefly I managed to knock the collimation out of kilter when the scope clipped my roll off roof. At the advice of the Australian distributor I sent it to a mob in Sydney who he said were qualified to collimate my TOA130. They basically trashed it, and it had to go back to Japan to be rebuilt back to new specs. That company in Sydney has since ceased trading, which is not a surprise to me.
What I am saying is. if it is out of collimation, send it back to Takahashi, let no one else near it!!!
Thanks for the advice Peter. Yes I was wondering if there was anyone in Australia able to work on it, but I'd rather send it back to Japan for safety's sake.

I will try get an photo of what I'm seeing when it clears up.
Erik
Old 25-03-2015, 09:43 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Ok, so the problem persists, and the objective appears clean and no traces of dew.

Managed some quick shots between the cloud. One out of focus, and Two as close as I can get in focus. It is a bit tricky as the aberration is quite strong.

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Spoke to Calude from AEC and I'm liking at over 1K for shipping and collimation by Takahashi.....

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Out Focus.JPG)
128.4 KB147 views
Click for full-size image (In Focus a.JPG)
90.2 KB142 views
Click for full-size image (In Focus b.JPG)
65.2 KB142 views
Old 25-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Why not drop Fred at TNR a e-mail and show him these images. He might be able to assess the problem and provide some advice.

Personally, if it were me and it was confirmed a collimation problem and it was going back to Takahashi I would give trying to collimate the cell myself with the caveat that I remember what screws I turned, how much I turned them and in what order.
Old 25-03-2015, 10:35 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Why not drop Fred at TNR a e-mail and show him these images. He might be able to assess the problem and provide some advice.

Personally, if it were me and it was confirmed a collimation problem and it was going back to Takahashi I would give trying to collimate the cell myself with the caveat that I remember what screws I turned, how much I turned them and in what order.
Thanks. I'll email them and wait to hear what they say. I don't know what else it could be other than collimation.

Thinking back to when it happened, I do remember the dew shield sliding down because I didn't tighten the lock screws enough. It hit the collar which it rest on, but not very hard, and I didn't think anything of it, and I can't see how that could shift the lens cell???

Either way, I'm not really game to touch anything. There are Six adjustment screws from memory.

Erik
Old 25-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ri_k View Post
Thanks. I'll email them and wait to hear what they say. I don't know what else it could be other than collimation.

Thinking back to when it happened, I do remember the dew shield sliding down because I didn't tighten the lock screws enough. It hit the collar which it rest on, but not very hard, and I didn't think anything of it, and I can't see how that could shift the lens cell???

Either way, I'm not really game to touch anything. There are Six adjustment screws from memory.

Erik
Pinched optics is another probability.

Interesting that Takahashi Mewlon owners will collimate their mirrors but refractor owners are scared to touch their optics given that both scopes have the same collimating screw push-pull pair arrangement.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:34 AM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Pinched optics is another probability.

Interesting that Takahashi Mewlon owners will collimate their mirrors but refractor owners are scared to touch their optics given that both scopes have the same collimating screw push-pull pair arrangement.
Any thought on how the optics may have become pinched? Not so much a fear of collimating it, just being cautious. I'm sure its straight forward, as with a Newtonian. Only I have read over and over again not to touch it, as other people have done so in the past and damaged their TAK refractors.

I have the TAK collimation scope which I use on my RC with ease, and the documentation clearly shows how to collimate a refractor, I would just need to have an adaptor made up so it can thread in to the refractor.

My only concern is, if I break something, it may end up more expensive to fix than if I don't....

Erik.
Old 26-03-2015, 05:31 PM
ericwbenson (Eric)

Hi Erik,
That image is an absolute textbook case of coma, pretty bad too I might add, I have never seen it so clearly exemplified
Check out 'coma optical aberration' with google images. One (or both) of the lenses is decentered, that's really bad luck.

EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ri_k View Post
Ok, so the problem persists, and the objective
appears clean and no traces of dew.

Managed some quick shots between the cloud. One out of focus, and Two as close as I can get in focus. It is a bit tricky as the aberration is quite strong.

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Spoke to Calude from AEC and I'm liking at over 1K for shipping and collimation by Takahashi.....

Erik
Old 26-03-2015, 07:04 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwbenson View Post
Hi Erik,
That image is an absolute textbook case of coma, pretty bad too I might add, I have never seen it so clearly exemplified
Check out 'coma optical aberration' with google images. One (or both) of the lenses is decentered, that's really bad luck.

EB
Hehe, well I'm glad I have a good example of it at least......Bad luck seams to have been affecting me quite often lately...Typical

Fred from TNR seams to think that something may have been loose to begin with and the subtle impact of the dew shield has caused something to shift.

On the bright side, perhaps this is a good discovery of a potential future issue?

Off to Japan I guess
Erik

Erik
Old 26-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Throughout this thread you haven't said what Takahashi refractor this is. Is it a doublet or a triplet refractor. If one of the lens element has shifted I guess this could cause the so diagnosed coma. Either way the skilled Takahashi technicians will make it better. I had to send my FS-78 back to Japan for a bit of a clean and alignment after one of the collimation screws came out completely and was rattling around in the dew shield. I was scared it scratched the front element of the objective which is the fluorite element.
Old 26-03-2015, 08:09 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Good point I should have mentioned! It's a TOA150 triplet.
Erik
Old 27-03-2015, 07:48 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Looks like a baffle has slipped into the light cone slightly ? , seen this once before .
Worth a look into .

Brian.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Kunama

Eric, is this what it looks like straight through viewing, i.e.. without a diagonal?
Old 28-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Exfso (Peter)

That looks exactly like my TOA130 when it got clipped by my roll off roof. It was knocked out of collimation. I would bet my left one that this is out of collimation. I can give you the Takashashi email contact who will send it to his engineers for their take on it.
Email me. exfso2@adam.com.au

Last edited by Exfso; 28-03-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 28-03-2015, 03:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

A TOA150 or 130 is NOT a telescope I would recommend collimating at home, considering the layout of the elements (NOTHING like a regular doublet or triplet). Send it to Tak. NO ONE ELSE. Peter gives VERY sound advice.
Old 28-03-2015, 03:10 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Looks like a baffle has slipped into the light cone slightly ? , seen this once before .
Worth a look into .

Brian.
Thanks Brian, I will have a look through the objective in some bright light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Eric, is this what it looks like straight through viewing, i.e.. without a diagonal?
Yes it is, same result with Two different diagonals, and straight through.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
That looks exactly like my TOA130 when it got clipped by my roll off roof. It was knocked out of collimation. I would be my left one that this is out of collimation. I can give you the Takashashi email contact who will send it to his engineers for their take on it.
Email me. exfso2@adam.com.au
Thanks, I'll email you