Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Paul Haese

NGC2359 22 hours

This is a bit of a fill in object whilst I am waiting for another target to climb a little higher. Taken with the FSQ106 this is a wide field view of the area in which Thor's Helmet resides. Of interest the Ha and OIII extensions which can be seen surrounding the main nebula and also the planetary nebula off to the left side of the image. There are only a few images of it on the net that I could find and at first I was surprised to see it in my Ha images. The PN's number is PHR0719-1222

Despite the modest focal length I think I managed some nice detail within the nebula and the larger image below shows that pretty well I think. Perhaps a larger resolution would be appropriate.

Click here for larger resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC2359 Bicolour Ha OIII 600 720 cs cr final.jpg)
149.9 KB104 views
Old 27-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Stevec35 (Steve)

On my monitor it seems a bit too blue but it's a nice shot Paul with the planetary an unexpected bonus that I can't recall seeing before.

Cheers

Steve
Old 27-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Very nice Paul. I'd never noticed the Ha region on any other pics I've seen.
Geoff
Old 27-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
On my monitor it seems a bit too blue but it's a nice shot Paul with the planetary an unexpected bonus that I can't recall seeing before.

Cheers

Steve
Therein lies how different monitors show different things. My apple gear shows this image with cyan and blue shadings to the nebula and the surrounding field has a slight red cast, with patches of slightly dark blue. My processing monitor shows something similar but without the cyan in the nebula. Interesting how different monitors under calibration show different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
Very nice Paul. I'd never noticed the Ha region on any other pics I've seen.
Geoff
Yes, I have seen it recent in one other image by Rogelio Andreo. I wonder if I doubled the amount of exposure what would be seen? Probably nothing much more than I have now, but still an interesting question.
Old 27-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

The PN is a nice catch. Adds to the specialness.
Old 27-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Nice work, as always

btw at the recent Snake Valley star Party, I was lucky enough to view this object through a fellows' 36" SDM dob - first time I've seen a visual target that actually looks like the photo - very cool
Old 27-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks Mike for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Nice work, as always

btw at the recent Snake Valley star Party, I was lucky enough to view this object through a fellows' 36" SDM dob - first time I've seen a visual target that actually looks like the photo - very cool
Wow a 36" is a huge scope. The detail would have been awesome. I have seen this through an 18" f 4.5 and a 22" f3.6 and it was good in both scopes, but the 22 was a nice view. In fact I was viewing it this last new moon through the 22".
Old 27-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Nice work Paul

Brett
Old 27-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Ross G

Great looking photo Paul.

You have captured some amazing detail.

I really like the wide composition.

Ross.
Old 27-03-2015, 10:21 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Lovely Thor's Helmet, Paul. Very deep and showing extensions that aren't commonly seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Therein lies how different monitors show different things. My apple gear shows this image with cyan and blue shadings to the nebula and the surrounding field has a slight red cast, with patches of slightly dark blue. My processing monitor shows something similar but without the cyan in the nebula. Interesting how different monitors under calibration show different things.
Hence my crusade to get folks to include an ICC Colour Profile in their images If your file has a colour profile and you use a color managed application and a calibrated monitor then you will see consistent colours.

Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of web software strips ICC profiles and there are a lot of crummy applications that don't do proper colour management.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 29-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Lovely Thor's Helmet, Paul. Very deep and showing extensions that aren't commonly seen.

Hence my crusade to get folks to include an ICC Colour Profile in their images If your file has a colour profile and you use a color managed application and a calibrated monitor then you will see consistent colours.

Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of web software strips ICC profiles and there are a lot of crummy applications that don't do proper colour management.

Cheers,
Rick.
Mate I hear you and I am with you. I have a little reminder to make sure I have an ICC colour profile on all my images now thanks to you. I don't know what is going on with the HTML page setup but it must be removing the profile. Or it might be the software I am using to resample and make the image into a jpeg. I must investigate this further.
Old 29-03-2015, 07:02 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

It's a pretty cool object in widefield as well. It shows the symmetrical structure quite well, like the wings in planetaries. You've got some really sharp details in the brain section as well. Great color palette too.
Old 29-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Excellent Paul, bit wide field for me, but im imaging this now so Ill be looking forward to woopin yr ass on this one.
Old 29-03-2015, 10:21 PM
gregbradley

Pretty sharp and nice processing but this is really a target for your RC.

Greg.
Old 29-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks Marc, yes I think it presents some wider aspects, but overall it was just a filler and I just wanted to see what is in the wider field with some depth. Answer is not much, but some very faint stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Excellent Paul, bit wide field for me, but im imaging this now so Ill be looking forward to woopin yr ass on this one.
LOL not much of a challenge Fred, 4" v 10" is not going to be a fair fight. . I would have imaged it myself with the RC but since it now transits early I decided not to try this year. Getting the camera later than I thought made targets like this viable. Next year though, well see who is whooping whose ass. Seriously though I look forward to your mega data version. Its bound to be very detailed and smooth as a babies bum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Pretty sharp and nice processing but this is really a target for your RC.

Greg.
Yep no doubt about that Greg and no argument from me, though like I said above. It holds some fascination for wide field to see what else is there, but time was not on my side. I have an image of this with the RC8 but I think I could manage a pretty nice one with the RC12 now. Alas it will have to wait.