ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:37 AM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Dslr astrophotography telescope suggestions

hi,

Im planning to dome some dslr astrophotograhpy setup thats quite a grab and go. Im thinking of getting a WO Zs71 for the scope.

Do you have any more suggestion other than this? I can only spend less than 1000$ on it.

Thabks in advance!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:16 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi Edward,

have you got a tracking mount in mind?

cheers
Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

With the WO reducer 6 you can get some decent images, maybe a little blue/violet fringe around brighter stars but it will depend on your camera and it can be processed out. I'm a beginner but take a look at some of my images for an idea of what is possible, I'm only using a cheap Canon 1100D with this scope and pretty happy with the results.

Theoretically, the SW star adventurer will hold 5kg, but the ZS71 + reducer + camera would be about 4kg (depending on the weight of your camera), so I'm not sure how close to the mount limit would be possible. You'd need a good polar alignment for sure. And probably a HEQ5...
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Thanks for the response,

Im thinking of getting an eq6 as i plan to use an scts in the long run, i
currently have a canon 700d so probably ill be using a flattener along with it.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Just be aware that the EQ6 isn't exactly grab and go

There was another thread about this recently, but the ZS71 would give you a FOV about 3.7 x 2.5 degrees, so it's more of a wide field option. Any SCT is going to be the other end of the scale because of the longer focal lengths.

I mention this because it's important to consider your list of targets as many will be framed "better" by a scope with a little longer focal lengths, And of course, there are scopes with focal lengths inbetween that can cover this.

What kind of object are you most interested in imaging?
Old 14-02-2015, 08:53 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Haha ive noticed it as well dunk! and im actually considering an eq5 its just id only want to invest on one mount.

Im plannig to shoot some dsos thought i have nothing particular in mind so ive thoughy of wide field refractors, and ive heard as well that wo zs1 needs a flattener to actually have some better results, is it true?

Thanks!

And has anyone of you tried shipping from US? I just dont know how it works here
Old 14-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

EQ5 is a reputable mount, can't go far wrong, and less than half the weight of the EQ6.

The WO reducer 6 is a reduced and flattener and it works well at least as far as an APS-C sized chip.

There's no easy solution to a fast telescope. With a fast refractor you get field curvature, with a fast reflector you get coma, pick your poison. Or you spend a fortune on something more serious...
Old 16-02-2015, 09:32 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Thanks for the tip on eq 5.

I try not to get something that costs me an arm and a leg until I got have my own backyard observatory.
Old 16-03-2015, 07:40 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Update!

I wasnt able to look for a WO ZS71 but was able to get a SW bd Ed80. At the moment I dont have mount or even a tripod so i can really get a nice view from it.
Question does this need a flattener for a canon 750d dslr combo?

And im currently tight in budget so im thinking getting a eq3 goto for it.
Old 16-03-2015, 08:59 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Edward
My advice now that you have your scope (SW ED80 BD) is to get yourself a good mount - e.g. HEQ5 Pro if you cannot afford the EQ6. The HEQ5 is more portable than the EQ6 and with the aid of a guidescope and decent alignment is capable of taking longish subs - in portable mode I've taken guided 10 minute subs. Don't skimp on the mount - it will only leadd to frustration.
Paul
Old 16-03-2015, 09:12 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Edward, your decision to go with the ED80 was a good one, as far as the EQ3 that would be a bad decision. Look for either an HEQ5 or EQ6 second hand. If you're patient, one will turn up in the Icetrade. As for focal reducers, for that OTA you can't go past Skywatchers focal reducer, but you will still take decent images without one.
Old 17-03-2015, 08:05 AM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Thanks Phil and Paul,

Yep it seems a sound advice!

Hope one pops out in trade and classifieds that is near and within my budget! Can't wait to start again now that i have the scope sitting around.

Regards
Old 17-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Congrats on your new scope it should serve you well.

A good mount will be key to good images, if you stay in the City you'll be lucky to get a couple of minutes without them getting washed out with light pollution, but if you make trips out to a dark site the mount and sensitivity of the camera will be the limiting factors.

I reckon you can't go far wrong with either EQ5 or 6, they can both be tuned and tweaked to improve performance, but good polar / drift alignment will be important either way.
Old 21-03-2015, 07:49 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Well thanks! Im actually looking for a place not too far where i can do some astrophotography, or some observation atleast. I sometimes would want to go to an open park to suburbs but im afraid if its legal or something.

I'm seeing non goto eq5 mounts but can they be autoguided? Though I wont be autoguiding at the moment, I would want to grab something that could.
Old 22-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Keep an eye on the events section, there are multiple gatherings in and around the Sydney area that are friendly and safe

If it's a city or state park you can always check with their office/ranger in advance, although many parks close their gates at sunset.

EQ5/6 are proven mounts, personally I'd be reluctant to buy alternatives without researching their reputation. You'll want to look for a mount with a guide port, ST-4 compatible is the most common.
Old 23-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Hoges (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase07 View Post

I'm seeing non goto eq5 mounts but can they be autoguided? Though I wont be autoguiding at the moment, I would want to grab something that could.
I have a HEQ5 but it's not the pro version and does not have an autoguider port. I'm now at the point where I'm well and truly over squinting into an illuminated reticle eyepiece to manually guide photos. I have the option of getting a Synscan upgrade kit for $600. If I was buying a mount from scratch, I'd make sure it could handle an autoguider - though you many not think you'll use one straight away, a few weeks of photography and you may well start wanting to use that feature.

btw, I also have the ED80 and am very happy with it.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:31 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Dunk and John,

Yeah I've been checking every now and then for a meetup here, and as well on astronomy club here. I would love to attend to one of those soon.

Thanks for that tip in st 4 ill keep that in mind. But I'm desperately excited to get my self one now, especially lunar eclipse is a like fortnight from now and I want to take a good photo of it.

I need to give my scope a good first light, ahh and the weather has been really bad this whole week. Why does it happen when one buys a new astro toy?
Old 26-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

They do happen, it's just the weather has been pretty miserable in the Sydney area for the past few months, and it's quite a commitment to load up and head a few hours out of the City for iffy weather. Hopefully the calmer Autumn and Winter weather is coming our way soon...

Btw, it's common for astro manufacturers to pack a bunch of cloud in the box with all their astro goodies

Btw btw, I'm no expert, but you shouldn't need an equatorial mount for eclipse images...last year I was taking snaps with my camera attached to my C8 and I needed to use a shutter speed of 1/320 of a second so as not to over expose. Experiment beforehand of course, but you might even be able to get away without a tracking mount for that sort of shot. Assuming it's clear...
Old 27-03-2015, 08:06 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Yes I know but I neither have a photo tripod, such a stingy guy hehe! though a 100$ video tripod will do the job quite well but Im really saving each $ for a mount.

Im seeing eq6 on classifieds and really tempted to get one now, only its a bit too far here.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:14 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Dew heater

and now that youve mention winter,

How bad is dew formation here? (In the case of a refractor) I lived in the tropics and im usually fine with shields for a whole night observation.

So I reckon Id need to buy dew zappers eh?