Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 20-09-2012, 07:26 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
.... Once I discovered that I could safely check in optics, I never looked back.....
Joe,

Happily you, and others I'm sure, have had good experiences but I've just heard of a case where someone wasn't so 'lucky'. A college returned from the US yesterday where she had been attending a mineral exhibition. She bought a number of specimens and packed them amongst her clothes, as she has done many time previously. When she collected her bag at Mascot it had been forced open. No attempt had been made to use the zipper's slider, something had been forced through the zipper and the teeth disengaged 3/4 of the way around the bag. Wires of a battery charger were hanging out of the bag and five specimens were missing. I don't know the value but hundreds each wouldn't surprise me. There was a card in the bag stating it had been opened by TSA! Naturally she kicked up a fuss but her information is that she has little hope of redress and that TSA are basically above the law. It seems flying to remote corners of the world or somewhere 'uncivilised' might be safer than visiting the US.
Old 20-09-2012, 07:37 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahgazer View Post
Hi David,

Yes, that would be a good idea. I was reading through and found your post regarding Mt Carbine route.

Worth to consider. Thanks!
Yes, a very useful post but alas not mine. AstroTourist (Terry Cuttle) is a recognised expert on solar eclipses as opposed to AstralTraveller who is basically a noob. I did live in Cairns for a year so I'm not entirely talking out of my bottom but I've done no where near the planning Terry has done.

David
Old 20-09-2012, 07:49 AM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Yes, a very useful post but alas not mine. AstroTourist (Terry Cuttle) is a recognised expert on solar eclipses as opposed to AstralTraveller who is basically a noob. I did live in Cairns for a year so I'm not entirely talking out of my bottom but I've done no where near the planning Terry has done.

David
Yikes, sorry I did a mistake confusing the 2!

But good tips from you guys are extremely useful for travelers like me. Looking forward for the trip.
Old 20-09-2012, 06:16 PM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Booked a place at Mareeba Lodge.

The owner, Carolyn, mentioned about the rest of the rooms are booked by eclipse chasers. I wonder if any of you guys are actually staying there?

Flying down from Kuala Lumpur to Brisbane on the 11th, and taking the morning flight to Cairns (12th Nov).

I was thinking of doing a warmup on-site test a day before on the morning of 13th, and from the postings and advice, looks like Mt. Carbine seems to be a logical sites. Is anyone doing the same on that morning?

On the eclipse day, I will drive up there early before dawn to the site, but how early? Will there be any road closures or anything like that?

Thanks.

Last edited by shahgazer; 20-09-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:31 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
On the eclipse day, I will drive up there early before dawn to the site, but how early? Will there be any road closures or anything like that?

Thanks.
From

https://s3.amazonaws.com/TTNQ/5e59bf...pse%202012.pdf

"Q. Will all areas be accessible? The Queensland Police along with the local government authorities and the Dept of Transport and Main Roads will be assessing the risks to community safety of certain locations and travel routes which may result in site and road closures. These will be well advertised in the weeks leading up to the eclipse. Eclipse watchers must abide by these instructions for the safety of all."

I spoke to someone from the Cook Council earlier in the year and one road they were considering closing was the Mossman to Mt Molloy Rd. The police had concerns about large traffic volumes on a narrow winding road in the dark. Apparently no final decision has been made.

See also
http://eclipse2012.org.au/
http://www.cook.qld.gov.au/home
http://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com/n...lareclipse2012
Old 21-09-2012, 01:24 PM
tomtom

Does anyone know how feasible it would be to boat to a little island like Fitzroy Island?
Alternatively are you allowed in the Yarrabah Aboriginal Community?
They look like good spots with no street lights etc. (I assume they're gonna turn on when it goes dark which would be annoying).

If not I guess Mt Carbine, way off the road somewhere, is looking like the best spot.

I'm thinking of riding the motorbike up there on Sunday or Monday, will be a long trip, probably will have to leave Sunday, but should be nice.

EDIT: Wow, I just thought about it and realised I'd have to ride for 1 and a half days straight to make it. LOL
I looked at planes and it's about $500 minimum, I thought it was only like $80? I've heard lots of people say that, must be only at certain times.
Looks like I'll start my journey on Friday then lol

Last edited by tomtom; 21-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:11 PM
cyclone

i've said this before, but i'm based in Mareeba.
I will be do the Mareeba-Mt Carbine-Lakeland drive next week.
I've added a cloud sensor to my website, so everyone can see the cloud cover during the night.
http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/
Old 21-09-2012, 08:13 PM
cyclone

also, i sent a email to Gavin King and requested a heavy vehicle ban from midnight to midday, because of the Total Eclipse, i've yet to receive a response.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:32 PM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
i've said this before, but i'm based in Mareeba.
I will be do the Mareeba-Mt Carbine-Lakeland drive next week.
I've added a cloud sensor to my website, so everyone can see the cloud cover during the night.
http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/
Nice to hear that. Looking forward for the latest update.
Old 22-09-2012, 11:17 AM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
From

https://s3.amazonaws.com/TTNQ/5e59bf...pse%202012.pdf

"Q. Will all areas be accessible? The Queensland Police along with the local government authorities and the Dept of Transport and Main Roads will be assessing the risks to community safety of certain locations and travel routes which may result in site and road closures. These will be well advertised in the weeks leading up to the eclipse. Eclipse watchers must abide by these instructions for the safety of all."

I spoke to someone from the Cook Council earlier in the year and one road they were considering closing was the Mossman to Mt Molloy Rd. The police had concerns about large traffic volumes on a narrow winding road in the dark. Apparently no final decision has been made.

See also
http://eclipse2012.org.au/
http://www.cook.qld.gov.au/home
http://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com/n...lareclipse2012
The traffic management plan being developed by the Queensland Police Service and is not yet public.
I think it quite unlikely that major roads such as Mossman to Mt Molloy, Smithfield to Kuranda, the Mulligan highway, Captain Cook Highway etc will be closed or restricted to eclipse traffic. As I understand it, QPS will be attempting to maintain these roads as free flowing. Of course if there is a major accident on any of these roads then all bets are off. Then access is likely to be severley restricted. I understand that emergency services are planned to be staged along the major routes.

Terry (Cuttle)
Old 23-09-2012, 11:19 AM
DarthWombat (Alex)
Per pecuniam ad astra!

Trinity beachfront room now available 10-17/11/2012

G'day all...

There has been another cancellation from our local astro society (Canberra) resulting in a beachfront room becoming available at Trinity Beach from 10-17/11/2012 (seven nights) at $120/night (I think - if it's the same as the one I just snapped up). There are no other takers from within CAS, so it's up for grabs to the wider Oz astro community rather than just handing the booking back to the resort.

The room is at Amaroo Resort (http://www.amarooresort.com/) and things need to be finalised by Tuesday or Wednesday at the absolute latest (but I somehow suspect that won't be a problem). I was able to book 2x airfares last week with no dramas, but there are no cheap fares available this late in the game.

So: Available, an Ocean View Studio room at Amaroo, Trinity Beach, arriving 10th Nov, departing 17th Nov. Deposit has been paid, so the change of booking has to be made through the original booker. Please contact our booking coordinator, Vince, at kimvince(at)optusnet.com.au ASAP.

P.S: Vince isn't (yet) an IIS member, so I'm posting this on his behalf. I just hope he is prepared for the e-mail stampede about to hit him...

Last edited by DarthWombat; 23-09-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Incorrect dates provided
Old 24-09-2012, 11:42 PM
tomtom

Just saw a couple of people got really cheap flights from Melbourne, does anyone know if that happens often? Too late for cheap flights now?
I've never been on a plane so I have no idea lol

Dunno if I'll be able to make it otherwise....
Old 25-09-2012, 10:00 AM
cyclone

Quote:
Nice to hear that. Looking forward for the latest update.
Ok, did the Mareeba to Lakeland drive yesterday. If there is any question, throw them at me.
Old 25-09-2012, 10:03 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Ok, did the Mareeba to Lakeland drive yesterday. If there is any question, throw them at me.
anywhere to set up?
Old 25-09-2012, 10:29 AM
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
anywhere to set up?
The 64 million dollar question is: Will QPS, Main Roads or even Tablelands and Cook council allow observers to park on the side of the road, the day before/overnight. If yes, it should be ok for the 13 degrees above horizon. If no, there is a few farms around. There is the Mt Carbine rodeo grounds, but the 'rumor' is they want to charge $30/m2.
My rural property is not on the centre line, with Total at only 1m 30secs
Old 25-09-2012, 10:41 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
The 64 million dollar question is: Will QPS, Main Roads or even Tablelands and Cook council allow observers to park on the side of the road, the day before/overnight.
My goodness..
I booked accommodation 2 years ago in Palm Cove in hope all will be OK and now I have to face a prospect of nowhere to go from hotel room (which, btw, as I discovered recently, doesn't have a room window view to the right direction..)
Old 25-09-2012, 11:01 AM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Quote:
The 64 million dollar question is: Will QPS, Main Roads or even Tablelands and Cook council allow observers to park on the side of the road, the day before/overnight. If yes, it should be ok for the 13 degrees above horizon. If no, there is a few farms around. There is the Mt Carbine rodeo grounds, but the 'rumor' is they want to charge $30/m2.
My rural property is not on the centre line, with Total at only 1m 30secs
Yikes! Hopefully that doesn't happen (road closure)!

Where exactly is the rodeo ground? Can give some directions to it? What other options other than have to 'rent' spaces there!
Old 25-09-2012, 11:04 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
My goodness..
I booked accommodation 2 years ago in Palm Cove in hope all will be OK and now I have to face a prospect of nowhere to go from hotel room (which, btw, as I discovered recently, doesn't have a room window view to the right direction..)
Wouldn't you just walk down to the beach?
Old 25-09-2012, 11:07 AM
bojan
amateur

Yes, of course, provided it is still dry (it seem there will be high tide coming) and not packed with others, faster than me
Old 25-09-2012, 11:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I'm staying at Palm Cove too, and was just planning on taking the family down to the beach.