I.C.D (Ian)

Photoshop

Hi All
which Photoshop to buy

Ian
Old 17-11-2017, 07:19 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Photoshop is usually a subscription based service now.i THINK you can still buy it but theyre in the several hundred dollar range. I think the $15 a month is a pretty good price for the photographic suite. Having lightroom handy is a bonus too.
Old 17-11-2017, 10:06 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

G'Day Tony ,
What are you saying, you pay each month to use Photoshop like your Mobile phone .What happen if you don't use up all your credit do you lose it or it rolls over .

Ian
Old 18-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Ian,

Ive bought my version of photoshop CS outright 5 years ago now, but Im sure what he's saying is you pay your monthly fee, then you use it as much as you like.
Old 18-11-2017, 12:34 AM
billdan (Bill)

From what I've read, the next version of Windows is going to be a on a monthly subscription basis.
Old 18-11-2017, 06:09 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I think the Windows "subscription" has been debunked....
This goes back to 2016.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...erating-System
Old 18-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I’ve use Photoshop for almost 20 years now.
The latest version of the subscription model has some truly awesome features that I use all the time, and it’s much faster than the last stand alone version. (PS 6).
It’s worth noting that the PS camera raw plug in no longer supports certain legacy cameras, and that the version compatible with PS6 won’t support current model Dslr’s.
Best to check compatibility with your camera first.
Old 18-11-2017, 09:15 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I use cs3 and apply some acquired techniqies.
I refuse to pay a subscription to a company that has so much money that they all drive porsches.
What I do is a hobby. Not a crowd funding exercise
Old 18-11-2017, 10:10 AM
glend (Glen)

I use Photoshop CC, the subscription version, and i am very happy with the monthly cost. I get all the new releases automatically, plus the additional Adobe apps, like Lightroom for no added cost. I had bought an old version of Photoshop initially but as indicated below, there is no support for it now and it lacks the features of Photoshop CC 2018.
Old 18-11-2017, 10:25 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
G'Day Tony ,
What are you saying, you pay each month to use Photoshop like your Mobile phone .What happen if you don't use up all your credit do you lose it or it rolls over .

Ian
It's like a monthly rent. Not based on usage. You pay whether you use it or not. If you stop paying you can't open or edit your files any more.
Old 18-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

For professional photographers who earn a living by it, I can understand the need for PS and all the bells and whistles it offers.
But for the average astronomer who wants to tweak and enhance one or maybe two images a month, it honestly seems excessive.

I went for the latest PaintShopPro which has 99% of the PS features and capabilities (it also handles astro plug-ins). To me this seems to be a much better cost effective tool.
https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/prod...RoCgOgQAvD_BwE

The cost of the upgrade is only $66. A once off payment - drive away, no more to pay.
Old 18-11-2017, 12:18 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
It's like a monthly rent. Not based on usage. You pay whether you use it or not. If you stop paying you can't open or edit your files any more.
Actually that is not the case. You can certainly access and edit all your files with no issues, provided you have stored them on your laptop, or an attached TB external drive. There is no requirement to store any files in the Cloud controlled by Adobe.
Your files are not bound in anyway to Photoshop, and they can be opened and revised in any application capable of doing so, they are just normal TIFF or JPGs, or whatever you saved them as. This includes all image layer information.
I can open my files in my old copy of Photoshop on my laptop, i can use PaintShop, etc, no access or control rights issues at all.
Old 18-11-2017, 10:08 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Actually that is not the case. You can certainly access and edit all your files with no issues, provided you have stored them on your laptop, or an attached TB external drive. There is no requirement to store any files in the Cloud controlled by Adobe.
Your files are not bound in anyway to Photoshop, and they can be opened and revised in any application capable of doing so, they are just normal TIFF or JPGs, or whatever you saved them as. This includes all image layer information.
I can open my files in my old copy of Photoshop on my laptop, i can use PaintShop, etc, no access or control rights issues at all.
Bitmaps are not photoshop files. PSD files are photoshop files and cannot be opened if you lapse your monthly payment.
Old 18-11-2017, 10:48 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Bitmaps are not photoshop files. PSD files are photoshop files and cannot be opened if you lapse your monthly payment.
My files are not PSD files. They are saved to my drives as TIFF, and are reopened easily .
Old 19-11-2017, 12:14 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Even then, other apps like Gimp or Affinity Photo (an alternative for Photoshop for just US$ 55 once) can open your psd files.
But after the license expires, you cannot use Photoshop itself but you can still open the files.
Old 19-11-2017, 08:47 PM
doppler (Rick)

Not technically free but not a crack version either (the serial key is provided)
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3...oshop-cs2.html
Old 21-11-2017, 05:48 PM
anthony.tony

This Is for free - http://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshopexpress - Dose raw files anf Tiff - Tony
Old 22-11-2017, 08:14 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

So you guys are saying that you can open PSD files in GIMP or other software and access all the layers and filters used? I can't even open CC saved files in CS6.
Old 24-11-2017, 08:36 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

G' Day All,
Thanks for your reply's I'v have gone with Paintshop because of the price and also I think along time a ago I was using Paintshop and found it easy to use, but was told that Photoshop was better.I now know that it was not , so for me it's Paintshop for me so if their any Paintshop use out there and got any tips I could use sent through please .

Ian
Old 24-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

+1 for Paintshop Pro