Old 31-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Bombardon (Eugene)

Quick Views Between Clouds

After six weeks of cabin fever I decided to dash out after dark and rolled out the 10" Dob. I would have to be quick as cloud seemed to drift in from all sides and the forecast was the same as for the past few weeks.
Stayed with a medium mag of 21mm. Returned to an old favourite Gamma Velorum as the Blue Ice primary is forever appealing, I was soon sliding south to oc 2547 with its diving bird like group of mag 7-10 stars that Stephen J O'Meara forever the poet sees as "like a chandelier earring with a glittering topaz stud," but which our own James Dunlop simply describes as " a curiously arranged group of pretty bright small stars." It has odd-shaped sprays of stars with fine doubles and delicate colours.
From there to Canis Major, riding high near the zenith and to revisit one of my favourite southern doubles, h3945, which Sissy Haas describes as "a showcase easy pair pair in 150mm X 36 with in my mind her accurate colour description as "Bright citrus orange and royal blue." Nearby is the gemlike Tau Can Maj. surrounded by the oc 2362 giving it a star in a bubble look. Finally, as the clouds gathered I just reached Nu 1(of 3) Can Ma and was able to spot the triple of strange colour and illumination contrasts. Sissy says: Splendid view; " Orange, Yellow and Bluish. " Half an hour of eyepiece in 6 weeks. Is in any wonder people collect beer mats as a hobby!
Old 31-01-2016, 10:13 PM
FI93 (Norm)

I have been working in the shed at Moss Vale till 10pm for the past two weeks and its been cloud-rain-thunder n lightning choice every night..... perhaps it is the escarpment.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I enjoyed your report Eugene. I must re-visit those favourites.
We have been cloud bound for far too long down here too. A couple of clear nights are on the cards, so am looking forward to getting out.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-02-2016, 04:44 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Cloudy here in Concord too Eugene and Steve.

Tau Can Majoris, what a cluster it is, so many delightful ones in this region; I'll visit some doubles myself soon along with NU, and yes h3945 etc.

Very few objects in the heavens display these wonderful colour contrasts.

More people should be looking at this Sissy Hass list; it really is a great way to spend some time. I sometimes bag a few when theres not much else to do.

PS: And the good thing ; any old cheap refractor etc will do!

bigjoe
Old 04-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Bombardon (Eugene)

Never mind, Joe and Steve, we can dream and get ready for the next clear evening. Yes, Joe the Sissy Haas list for readers interested comes from a Sky and Telescope Magazine series called 'Double Stars for small telescopes," by Sissy Haas and contains 'more than 2,100 gems for Backyard Observers."
I agree, Joe, when the seeing is really good all telescopes act like top of the range numbers Back to the planning on the lounge chair!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I have had some evenings of working between the clouds, or racing the cloud front as it comes and covers the sky.

I have come out to a clear sky on several occasions and thought, it is going to be a great night. Pull out the stuff, get all set up, look up and here comes the cloud bank out of nowhere.

Quick to the eyepiece to grab some views and work just ahead of the cloud cover.

Or focus on those rivers of sky between the thick clouds.

But eventually you lose the race. As long as it doesn't rain on me as I am putting it all away I still count it as a good night as I got in some viewing time.