Old 20-01-2016, 06:45 PM
75BC (Brendon)
Always in the dark.

Just looking thanks.

Just wanted to ask other purely visual guys and girls, why they have not gone down the path so many seem to take with astrophotography. When I say ‘purely visual’ I’m not counting the odd happy snap I think nearly everyone likes to take. I’ll kick off with my reasons.

TIME – I just don’t have enough of it to devote to learning, and doing AP. Truth be told, I don’t have enough time to do the visual astronomy I’d like. For me, I think photography would be a natural progression once I’d spent countless hours looking at everything I could, many times over. I don’t know if that day will ever come for me. I’ve been doing this (with a telescope) for about 12 years and I’m still learning some of the basics of what’s up there.

MONEY – Something else I don’t have enough of. I come from a very modest background, and still earn a very basic income. It took 20 years of interest in astronomy before I could afford a ‘real’ telescope. It’s often mentioned on here about AP being a slippery slope, so I avoid even looking over the edge knowing I’ll be half way down before I realize what’s happening. I’m old enough now to know my limits (financial and otherwise), and my recent acquisitions (CPC1100 + a few half decent eyepieces) are more than I thought I would ever own. So equipment wise, I’ am a pretty happy chap right now.

PERSONAL – This is just what motivates me to do it at all. The feeling I get when I look through the eyepiece. Even though nowhere near as spectacular as a photo, and I was one, like many who was a little disappointed to realize you don’t get Hubble images. “What! The pictures on the box weren’t taken through my Department store refractor?” But what you can see through an EP I find amazing. Something I don’t get from a photo is that sense of 3 dimensions. I notice this most when looking at Jupiter and her moons. I can see some appear slightly in front, and some slightly behind the big planet. Also just knowing you are looking at the real thing gives me a buzz. In this time of being able to see anything at all on a computer screen, a lot of things have lost their mystique. But knowing those photons hitting my eye have travelled all that way, and for such a long time, makes me feel special in a way I’m yet to fully understand. And lastly, it may have something to do with having a bit of Mulder Syndrome (X Files). I WANT TO BELIEVE. Even if I know 99.999999%, I don’t completely believe something until I see it for myself. Silly, I know.

In saying all this I do have to mention the respect I have for those who do AP. Their dedication is in some cases astounding to me. I take great pleasure in looking at their amazing images. They can be works of art in their own right.

So these are the main reasons for me. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope I haven’t bored everyone. I would really like to know why you are just looking.
Old 20-01-2016, 08:03 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Though I am about to embark on a not so serous foray into AP, I would mirror yours to a degree. Time and money!

Personally as an ex electronics technician and a total geek, I am keen to try my hand for the learning exercise it will provide.
Old 20-01-2016, 08:11 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

I'm in this for the visual mostly, but as you mention, I want the occasional "happy snap" to prove that I did see that amazing entity in space. But I do want that photo to be something I can share and show off on my mantle, so I will eventually acquire a certain level of proficiency at AP... out of necessity!
Old 20-01-2016, 09:11 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

No interest in photography at all in my case. Zero Zip Zilch I'd rather look at something, even if it is a small blob and be satisfied I have seen it.

Other than visual I like building my own bits…ATMing is my thing…lots of interesting problems to understand and solve.

Matt
Old 20-01-2016, 10:28 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I still consider myself primarily visual, although time and weather have largely got in the way of it. There are two reasons I do dabble in AP though. One is to share what can be seen up there with people who can't come and spend an all-nighter at the top of a ladder, and the other is because I can do photography from my backyard in a relatively large city.
For me, nothing comes close to the satisfaction of star-hopping onto something right on the limit of detection for a telescope, and then trying to see what photons my eyeball can detect.
The AP experience for me is a totally different kettle of fish. But I like that too.
cheers,
Andrew.
Old 21-01-2016, 09:40 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

There’s nothing like laying your own eyes on something. It’s much more satisfying to look at a blurry live image of Jupiter for example, than a more detailed photographic image.
Also, cost, time, setup time and portability. From something as simple as a smartphone you can follow your way across the entire night sky, with or without binoculars. Lying on a banana lounge recording a meteor shower also has near zero cost, and you don’t have to worry about breaking or transporting anything. Who hasn’t had the bad luck to begin setting up and begin imaging, only to find that your target gets obscured?
Photography is enjoyable for many, but it adds another thing (many things really) that can stuff up your evening.
Old 21-01-2016, 12:59 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Time and money main reasons as I am interested in AP(my last imaging was with Olympus OM1 and Techpan 2145 ). Also the amount of computer time required processing scares me off as I spend enough time at work using a computer DCS to run machinery and I don't want it to encroach on my hobby. I still read a lot of AP posts on this forum though and like to look at amateur images. Cheers Richard.
Old 22-01-2016, 01:52 PM
MichaelSW (Michael)

I'm just not technically inclined. Suppose I could learn like others have, but I'm too lazy to do so. Really admire the AP produced and shared by so many, but photons through the Mark 1 eyeball with what you get being what you see stirs my spirit. Love sharing the experience with others at the eyepiece.

(Oh, and the AP that appeals to me most is nightscapes, lunar features, and 47 Tuc).

Last edited by MichaelSW; 23-01-2016 at 06:35 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 23-01-2016, 09:56 AM
N1 (Mirko)

All of the above!

Main reason why I am mostly visual is because memories of long drawn-out, bug-ridden, learning-curved,...., computer sessions spent indoors, however successful, and followed by whatever amount of internet fame, absolutely pale in comparison to memories of seeing the real thing with my own eyes in its many shapes and forms.

I do enjoy AP work of others and admire their dedication.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:23 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I am all visual today. No plans to get into serious AP. . More learning and more equipment that I am not interested in right now.

However webcam AP looks interesting for some time in the future. Picked up a $10 US webcam on eBay so I can play with it if the mood strikes.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:43 AM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Hi,

In my case, it's because I'm colourblind, and can't therefore justify to myself the time and expense involved in good serious AP.

I would not be able to do colour balance at all, which would result in some quite odd looking images. However I've become aware that this would not apply to such an extent with imaging of multiple stars, so I've been thinking about that for a while now.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2016, 02:08 PM
75BC (Brendon)
Always in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I am all visual today. No plans to get into serious AP. . More learning and more equipment that I am not interested in right now.

However webcam AP looks interesting for some time in the future. Picked up a $10 US webcam on eBay so I can play with it if the mood strikes.
Hi Ed. I’ve thought about a webcam set up also. At the moment all I have is my phone. I enjoy lunar and planetary viewing so one of these could be good for said happy snaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW1 View Post
Hi,

In my case, it's because I'm colourblind, and can't therefore justify to myself the time and expense involved in good serious AP.

I would not be able to do colour balance at all, which would result in some quite odd looking images. However I've become aware that this would not apply to such an extent with imaging of multiple stars, so I've been thinking about that for a while now.

Cheers
Hi Geoff. Colour-blindness would pose limitations on what could be achieved. It could also produce some interesting results.

I’ve just thought of another reason I’m not heading in the AP direction. Computers and I don’t play well together. The processing side would drive me nuts. I’ve only recently, due to work restructures, needed to use them. And using them for pleasure doesn't hold much appeal for me. Although I wish I’d known years ago, it was only last year I stumbled across this forum while researching my next scope.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:26 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

Oh, I do have a frame for my smart phone so I can shoot pictures in the eyepiece. Bought it 3 months ago but only used it once. Just not a key interest ... yet.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:04 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

g day,

i have only had a 'scope less than two years, but being semi retired and living in the bush my EP time is only restricted by weather (and i'm on here now 'cos it is pissistantly raining . I am still getting lotsa pleasure from the big n bright as well as star hopping to faint fuzzies.

I regularly enjoy other's AP but for the same reasons expressed by others i am not attracted to AP for myself, but;

1) my first bout of aperture fever was assuaged by the 16" a year ago, and i can feel it relapsing i am wondering about 'scope to monitor-live video cams (with goto tracking) as an effective massive aperture fix, and

2) i could get personal satisfaction in AP for scientific value e.g. BOSS: planet monitoring ala Quark, Ags &tc. : comet/asteroid search/tracking: occult timing. But that takes huge dedication and skill too . . . . less pain, less gain/satisfaction?

regards, Lindon