Old 07-05-2018, 02:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Problem with gears.

A picked up a golf cart that carries just clubs with an electric motor and gear box. I am turning it a motorised tool box or stuff carrier or use the stuff to open my cube observatory☺may be resurect the motorised walking frame because really I had to build a gear box out of bike bits to get it to work some a motor gear box could bring the walke to life.

Motor runs although the control box has a problem and power wont past it ...no problem at least yet☺

The gear box seems ok except for the gear on the motor shaft.

I attach a photo which you can see the gear that needs replacement.

My problem is how to get the old one off and the new one on...I am assuming I can buy a suitable gear on the net..

Is that a nut on the end of the shaft holding the gear on...any clues please.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2018-05-07 15.34.52.jpg)
59.5 KB57 views
Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post

Is that a nut on the end of the shaft holding the gear on...any clues please.
Alex
Hi Alex,
It's hard to say absolutely from the image ( a bit to much grease and a little blur) , but it looks like the black damaged gear is on a hex ended shaft (hopefully The reflection is not deceptive as to hex end). The whole shaft may come out with gear if you unscrew at the hex end if there is sufficient access. It may take some force to "crack" the screw grip, if indeed that's what it is (hopefully not press fitted on) "Study twice - cut once " at your own risk.

Best
JA
Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 PM
leon

Alex I have to say I second that advice as it dose look like a hex
bolt/fastener of sorts.
A good fitting ring spanner should do the job, good luck mate.

Leon
Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you JA and thank you Leon.
Sorry about the grease but it did not wash of well with the stuff I used.even scrubbed with a brush... ever run into such adhesive grease..good grease. ..anyways at the end of the shaft is two parrallel groves that seem like the are asking for a spanner.

This one of those jobs I may think another week before acting☺
Thanks again.
Alex
Old 08-05-2018, 10:55 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Looking at it over the course of the last week I notice there is a groove running around the top but it does not appear to be a thread..its more like a groove to take a circular clip.

What looked like grease was the trashed gear ...anyways I gave it a good wipe.
You could expect to see a clip here even though there is not one...so I am thinking it would make sence to have a clip there...maybe its gone in which case the gear may come off hopefully by removing a clip that wasnt there.
You can see the clip grove in the photo herewith hopefully.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180508_113751-1.jpg)
58.5 KB26 views
Old 08-05-2018, 10:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I suppose I could take out the gear with an angle grinder being careful not to grind any metal...at least you could see how it was attached...
Alex
Old 08-05-2018, 11:02 AM
JA

Hi Alex,
Now it looks a little like it might be a circlip groove sans circlip. If that is correct, then the gear should "slide" (pull off) the shaft depending on how much the damaged gear snags on other parts/features in the area.

You may need to CAREFULLY use a flat blade screwdriver behind the gear to help prise it off by pushing it down the shaft axis, whilst at the same time trying to rotate it or the other large gear it's in mesh with (as it's helical) to try and get it out of mesh.

Best
JA
Old 08-05-2018, 11:24 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks JA.
I think the damage is such that will prevent it coming off as the none wore gears part that is left as they are intact and good as new I doubt they will let anything pass so I have an engraving type tool which I can either trim it to get it past the damage or to cut the plastic away from the metal.
Alex
Old 11-05-2018, 03:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I tried to lever it off and then I decided to get the little engraving tool and put on one of those tiny little grinding wheels, they are so cute, and delicately grind the old gear away.
So I set up on the bench and whilst tidying up picked up a wood work chisle that needed sharpning or throwing out, not a good one, and hit it with authority and it shattered leaving bits to clean away with a smaller tool...but all done.
But it seems as the gear comes on the shaft as there is a with pin that was a key within the molded plastic.
So as it just occured to me I need a special gear on a shaft.
I had the sence to count the number of teeth...because it was in small pieces with no way to work out how many teeth.

I am thinking to put it on a walking frame somehow.
Alex
Old 25-05-2018, 12:46 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I emailed the manufacturer...Parmaker Products Pty Ltd... telling of my need for the gear and if they could suggest a supplier.

Within two hours they replied...maybe faster but I looked two hours later and their reply was there...

Parmaker Products Pty Ltd. dont forget that name.

They said they had either a nylon one or steel and that they could send either with an invoice that day.

I ordered the steel one and it was at the post office before I was.

I am so impressed with these folk and would say if you want a golf cart seek them out as having such a good attitude is something we dont always find.

Alex