Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 29-03-2020, 11:56 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,873
Chance alignment

I often point my telescope at random patches of sky seeking new quarry for much deeper exposures.

This field covering NGC3312, a relatively obscure galaxy in Hydra is certainly worthy of further investigation...

The hour was late, so I only managed a single 900 second exposure. But the gear was working well, the seeing was OK hence I was surprised to see so many faint-fuzzies with just a single happy-snap.

Weather permitting, the plan is to revisit this cluster with decidedly deeper and colourful interest
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30-03-2020, 02:09 AM
Ant0nio's Avatar
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Ant0nio is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Gympie,Qld. Australia
Posts: 334
A plethora of galaxies indeed, looking forward to seeing an update of this Peter. Thanks for posting this,
as an astro noob I'm eager to learn of new potential targets.
Cheers,
Tony
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30-03-2020, 06:52 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,299
You must have been very good in a previous life to have captured that on curiosity alone. It's already a fine, clear crisp shot. The final result will be stunning.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
You must have been very good in a previous life to have captured that on curiosity alone. It's already a fine, clear crisp shot. The final result will be stunning.
Thanks M&T.. This lone frame is how the raw data pops-up on the screen from my setup, apart from flats and darks, there is not much one can do with a single frame of data.

I have to fess up...It wasn't a totally random point and shoot...I was aware of the Hydra galaxy cluster, but had no idea what was in it.
So many interesting galaxies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nio View Post
A plethora of galaxies indeed, looking forward to seeing an update of this Peter. Thanks for posting this,
as an astro noob I'm eager to learn of new potential targets.
Cheers,
Tony
Glad you liked it Tony. I often use the SkyX to point the telescope at various galaxy clusters
This one looks to need some focal length...and a run of clear nights !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30-03-2020, 12:49 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,922
Amazing how much stuff there is in the night sky.

That is a good find.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30-03-2020, 03:55 PM
Joshua Bunn's Avatar
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)
Registered User

Joshua Bunn is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Albany, Western Australia
Posts: 1,150
Looks like you have a fine image in the making Peter. I did this field a few years ago, and it is indeed very intriguing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30-03-2020, 04:45 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,500
Awesome field Peter - so much to see - will make a wonderful deep image when done!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30-03-2020, 05:19 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Awesome field Peter - so much to see - will make a wonderful deep image when done!
Ta..just a working title at this point....the weather forecast, as my wife's grandad used to say: not look'a too good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Looks like you have a fine image in the making Peter. I did this field a few years ago, and it is indeed very intriguing.
I'd be very curious to see what you managed Josh....I'd guess a dark site would do wonders for this field.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30-03-2020, 07:10 PM
DavidU's Avatar
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

DavidU is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: melbourne
Posts: 4,749
Peter Hubble ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,632
Very nice Peter, it’ll be good to see a finished product
It’s amazing how bright dim stars look when they’re the brightest in the scene.

I do have to take umbrage with the random pointing!
This is random pointing, just grabbed the telescope and pointed it at the deepest darkest part of the sky.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31-03-2020, 03:28 PM
Joshua Bunn's Avatar
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)
Registered User

Joshua Bunn is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Albany, Western Australia
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I'd be very curious to see what you managed Josh....I'd guess a dark site would do wonders for this field.

It was back in 2014 and I posted it here with a link to astrobin, but it's gone from there now so I'll have to add it back. You even commented on it ... okay, it was 6 years ago now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
It was back in 2014 and I posted it here with a link to astrobin, but it's gone from there now so I'll have to add it back. You even commented on it ... okay, it was 6 years ago now.
2014? i'm struggling to recall what I did last week

I did some digging and discovered there is a APOD of the same field...but a super-deep effort might be cool.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-04-2020, 07:25 PM
Paul Haese's Avatar
Paul Haese
Registered User

Paul Haese is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9,520
I did this same field a couple of years ago. That bright star will be a pain in the end. I found I had to do a lot of control work on the halo that is produced but I did not have that reflection you have there. That is going to suck with integration. It will be interesting to see what a 16" scope in light polluted skies will do compared to a 12" f4 in dark skies. Interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-04-2020, 07:59 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I did this same field a couple of years ago. That bright star will be a pain in the end. I found I had to do a lot of control work on the halo that is produced but I did not have that reflection you have there. That is going to suck with integration. It will be interesting to see what a 16" scope in light polluted skies will do compared to a 12" f4 in dark skies. Interesting.
Just had a look at the field you captured...very nicely done.

Not sure how much more the RC16 would bring to the party.
But my freshly minted STXL16200 should work well with the F6 reducer and deliver a similar field to the 16803...
..that also means new sky-flats/darks/dud pixel maps.

Given the torrential weather here...maybe a project for next year.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 01-04-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 08:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Astromechanics
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement