Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-03-2020, 05:46 PM
leon

Failed to install updates

Hi Guys,

My new installation of Win 8.1 will not install updates, and tells me " Failed to install updates, undoing any changes made" then it restats the computer and it opens as normal with out any updates installed.

I have for now turned off any updates.

So what might be going on here please, also trying to download anything is frustratingly slow, very slow.

Leon
Old 25-03-2020, 01:00 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Holy cow Leon you have just about the worst records of computer issues I have every seen, someone up there has it in for you...
Old 25-03-2020, 02:33 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Here you go .....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...u-usage-occurs

Col.
Old 25-03-2020, 07:08 AM
leon

Your right Peter, maybe the Computer caught a Virus of sorts.probably not a laughing matter under today's circumstances

Thanks Col, will have a look at that shortly.

Leon
Old 25-03-2020, 12:23 PM
appiice (Ed)

Windows 10

Hello Leon

Unless you have a good reason to stay with W8.1, why don't you upgrade to Windows 10??

here is a link on how to do it.

https://www.techworm.net/2017/01/can...mple-hack.html

This description is dated Jan' 2020, I did it in Nov' 2019, I followed this " how to " https://www.techworm.net/2017/01/can...mple-hack.html

If you are still having WiFi speed issues, drive somewhere where you will get a better signal - a telecommunications tower in sight?

Have you given up on that clunker of a hard drive yet - I hope you have bought a new one.

Ed
Old 25-03-2020, 01:28 PM
Exfso (Peter)

What Ed said for sure.
Old 25-03-2020, 04:37 PM
leon

Thanks Ed and peter, to be honest I have not yet considered updating to Win 10.
I do like very much have Win 8.1 works and seeing that i am no computer expert I have stayed with what works for me.

Well I suppose that was an under statement considering the problems I have had with this hard drive, which is still locked and sitting unplugged in the Desktop.

I have a new drive and i reinstalled Win 8.1 as i had the installation disc and the licence key.

It is just so slow and nothing will download properly, but in reality I cant actually move to a new location as yet.

I have taken my Telstra Portable WiFi device for a short drive and as soon as i turned it on again it went to 4 G and was flashing a lovely Blue so i expect that the device is working fine, but not where i am located.

A new WiFi adapter as well and that seems to be functionaing ok as well, however my dBm reading is quite high, so i expect i am stuck with a slow internet until the day i move from here, and in the current situation who knows when that might happen.

Thanks for your input.

Leon
Old 26-03-2020, 04:56 AM
sutekh (M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
Hello Leon

Unless you have a good reason to stay with W8.1, why don't you upgrade to Windows 10??

<snip>

Ed
This is why not:

KB4535996 (release date: 2020 Feb 27)
https://www.techradar.com/news/the-l...d-uninstall-it

KB4532693 and KB4524244 (release dates: 2020 Feb 11)
https://www.techradar.com/news/the-l...serious-issues

KB4532695 (release date: 2020 Jan 28)
https://www.komando.com/news/windows...e-fail/706087/

KB4528760 (release date: 2020 Jan 14)
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/0...tion-issues-2/

--sutekh
Old 26-03-2020, 08:52 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hello Leon,

What Ed said is on the money. I wouldn't be concerned by scare stories of Win10. This is going to be especially easy for you, as you have the CD-key on hand.

Doing a clean install, on a new SSD, using the Media creation tool (Win10 installer on a 8Gb USB stick) will being balance to the force, and much deserved relief for you

It goes without saying that more and more things work with Win10, ongoing. And as time goes on, use of previous versions will result in more exclusions for you. You have a great opportunity to start afresh here.
Old 26-03-2020, 04:14 PM
leon

Yea Guys, you are all probably right maybe i should move on so to speak, but at my age of 70 one dose get stuck in their ways.

Ahh, the joy of technology

Leon
Old 26-03-2020, 04:18 PM
leon

Maybe i had better stay where i am and deal with it after reading Andy's helpful contributions

Leon
Old 27-03-2020, 12:21 AM
StuTodd

Leon, I really recommend giving Linux a try, you don't even have to install it on a hard drive!

Make a bootable USB stick and...well, follow https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutoria...ows#1-overview

Linux has been a virtual breath of fresh air for me (even the Mrs agrees)!

As I suggested before, I think you could even plug in your bad drive and recover the data from the Ubuntu system. Linux hasn't been the command prompt "gobbeldy-gook" nightmare which seems to be prevalent in forum chats.
Old 27-03-2020, 08:18 AM
appiice (Ed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Yea Guys, you are all probably right maybe i should move on so to speak, but at my age of 70 one dose get stuck in their ways.

Ahh, the joy of technology

Leon
Hello Leon

At 68 and ten twelveths I hear you, but.

I'm using W10 Build 1909 and have no issues apart from the network function not being well thought out - for example, I have a home / business network of 7 desktops, 4 NAS boxes and two laptops that come and go, " sometimes " they all speak to one another, mostly one is huffy with one of the other ones. To me MS should have a way of have a " trusted device code " and anything with that code and be seen by anything on the network, most likely impossible but the hours wasted would make it worthwhile - to me at least.

Back to you, For all the bad stories you hear about W10 ( or W8 or W7.... ) I think for the most part they work as expected, I heard W8 was a clunker and went from W7 to W10, all my software works as I would expect it to, the only one not to was Autocad 14, since I sold my laser cutting business it wasn't a problem.

I'm using Celestron / Planewave control software for my CGX mount, PHD, ZWO software and others and am now getting into NINA ( FYI, it is an awesome program I was fiddling with SGP but am finding NINA easier to use and with my limited experience good for me ) all of the software works with W10.

My question would be, do you want to keep having problems or do you want to do some astro stuff??

Ed
Old 27-03-2020, 04:47 PM
leon

Thanks Ed, no mate, I am sick to death of the nightmare I have had with this machine.

I just want to turn it on and away it goes and everything just works fine.

yes as you say W8 was a clunker, that is why they invented W8.1 which really dose work well when it works and seems to suit me.

However It dose seem I should at least try something different.

My desktop is my photo machine, so to speak I use it all the time, make great video's and the like, and it really dose a great job, it is the internet that is causing me grief.

So as a machine with no access to the net it is lightning fast, use it to download 2mb at the moment and it takes and hour, and that is no lie.

It just wont download the smallest file or even install the smallest up date.

I presume this has to be in a setting somewhere but I really dont know were to look for it.

Thanks for your help.

Leon