Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 16-03-2020, 02:44 PM
HenryNZ

Visual Astronomy for an imager and with the kids

I am mainly an imager but while I am busying myself with taking images I am keen to do a bit of visual myself and more importantly with my kids (9 and 8, the youngest 4 won't be involved) to get my kids into this wonderful hobby.

To this end I have acquired a Skywatcher 127 Mak which is mounted on a DM4 with push-to via Sky Safari. However I think the FOV of the 127 Mak is really too small and the need to constantly push the telescope to keep things in view is too hard for a visual newbie like me, let alone for the kids.

I don't really want to change into an EQ mount or a goto AltAz mount because by the time I polar align (or star align in the case of a goto altaz mount), the kids would have long lost interest. Therefore if possible I would like to stay with a push-to DM4 which my kids seem to be able to operate.

I wonder if I should trade my 127Mak for something that has a wider FOV, and if so what should I go for? I am hoping for something with similar second hand value as a 127Mak so I can do a direct trade without spending much more money if at all. Obviously it needs to be mountable on a DM4.

Any advice? Or am I better off selling the DM4 and the 127 Mak, and just do some EAA with my cameras....(more of my comfort zone)???
Old 16-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hey Henry,

Not offering a trade but, I have among a number of other scopes a little 130mm Vixen Newtonian.

It's an F5, holds it's collimation extremely well & provides me with some absolutely stunning views...

It's not a huge scope either when compared with the little 127mm Mak you have at 650mm long overall & it is very lightweight.

It's providing me with some lovely wide.. ish field views & when recently viewing the moon & really pushing the magnification (2.5mm EP) the views were in my opinion, simply gob smacking...

I got mine secondhand through a forum member & it has been modified with the addition of a 2 speed crayford focuser; I believe it comes with a single speed focuser stock...

Whilst I do use mine for imaging on an EQ mount, I also use it on a GSO Skyview deluxe manual Alt/Az mount & it is quite frankly a joy to use...

TFOV for comparison with say a 20mm, 1.25" Plossl is 1.3 degrees, 40mm 1.25" Plossl around 3 degrees..

If you can get your hands on one of these, I suspect neither you or your children will be disappointed...
Old 17-03-2020, 10:15 AM
N1 (Mirko)

G'day Henry, what eyepieces do you have?

Despite the Mak's long focal length, a 32mm Plössl will still give 1.1° true field of view at 46x, which is reasonably low and reasonably wide. Lower and wider, you are talking rich-field scope, like a small refractor (achromat like the ST80 is OK because you have the Mak for anything an achro won't do well), or Carlton's newtonian. The SW 127 Mak appears to allow 2" fittings too, so a 2" eyepiece could also give a wider view, although vignetting will probably be introduced by the baffle tube before you exhaust the TFOV that 2" eyepieces allow in theory. Hope that helps

Edit: Just re-read your post, and equipment list - are the two 130mm scopes off limits for use with the kids? Trying them out will at least give a rough idea what (if anything) the Mak is actually lacking...

Last edited by N1; 17-03-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 18-03-2020, 06:07 PM
HenryNZ

Yeah. The 130mm is off limit to the kids. They like touching everything including the objective lens. That’s why I like to have one dedicated scope for visual only.
In terms of eye piece the only thing I have is what came with my 8”SCT which I think is a 20 something mm Plossl and a cheap 8-24mm Celestron zoom, all 1.25” formats.

I can certainly try to get some longer eyepiece for wider FOV.
Old 18-03-2020, 07:52 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Henry,

A 32mm 1.25" eyepiece will give you a 1.1° TFOV with that 127 Mak. That's as wide a TFOV you can get with that scope. This is more than 50% over what your 20mm plossl gives at 0.7°

That 5" Mak is a very good scope. Maks and SCT's are unfairly touted as being poor for DSO's. Nonsense. Ok, so they don't have the same TFOV as say a 5" f/5 Newt or frac, but the image they throw up is very good. And no chromatic aberration or the challenge that coma can present to some people too.

Some people will also fret about the corrector plate dewing up. Don't fret! While the norm is to wait for our gear to cool to ambient temp, there is a change in thinking when it comes to Maks and SCT's - DON'T let them cool!

When you let a Mak or SCT cool, the metal tube cools much quicker than the mirror and baffle inside the OTA. As a result a heat plume forms inside the tube because of the heat differential.

So, if you insulate the OTA, and don't let the scope cool, no heat differential forms and so no heat plume is generate, AND you can rip high magnification from the scope straight away!

I've been insulating my SCTs and Maks for a number of year now. No waiting for cooling. I set up when I can, and I don't have time to fluff around waiting for a scope to cool over 2 hours. Instead those two hours are actually productive hours for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPC mod (1) - Copy.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	256689 , Click image for larger version

Name:	Pimped dewshield (7).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	256690 , Click image for larger version

Name:	Alex sketching Moon - lo res.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	256691

This won't stop dew forming on the corrector, but it will greatly extend the amount of time the corrector remains dew-free. And when dew does form you can gently use a hair drier to dry it off.

Just one thing about making an insulating wrap - don't make it out of a black or similarly dark material. Black cools to below ambient temperature (regardless of the material), and it will work against you, actually allowing the scope to cool rather than insulate it. Some people have even made these wraps out of those cheap aluminized car windscreen shades.

Alex.
Old 19-03-2020, 08:47 AM
HenryNZ

Thanks Alex for the tips.

I am inclined to keep the 127Mak too if possible. Every change in gear costs money. Certainly worth trying the longer eyepiece. Being a visual newbie I have never considered cooling (or not cooling!) previously but now I know.

May try to source a 32 mm eye piece somewhere to try.
Old 19-03-2020, 09:35 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Henry,

I suggested that 32mm plossl as it will be the cheapest good eyepiece long focal length eyepiece in 1.25". But its AFOV is limited to 52°. For a wider AFOV the focal length will get shorter, and the price will go up too. In a 68° AFOV, the longest focal length EP in 1.25" is 24mm - exact same amount of sky. I am making no assumptions about what sort of budget you have, only letting you know of options

Alex.