Old 15-03-2020, 10:46 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Commodore Amiga

Anyone here into the old Amiga computer?
I have 2 of them and had not used either for over 25 years, a 4000 and a 2000. Currently have the 4000 being recapped and the RTC battery fixed.
In its day the 4000 was most definitely the ants pants...
Old 15-03-2020, 11:06 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Was so into them back in the day. 2x 500s, a 600, 1200, and maxed out 1500 (with ECS spectrum and framegrabber).

Until last year I still had a working 500 and 1200. That was until the Floods submerged them
Old 15-03-2020, 11:08 PM
DarkArts

No, no Amiga. But I completely understand the passion.

I just got WinXP going on an old Pentium 4 circa 2003 - I use it for some really old games. And my Pentium III notebook from 2001 still works.
Old 16-03-2020, 01:00 AM
StuTodd

Aargh, I reckon I've always been on the wrong (?) side.

I'm a ZX Spectrum to Atari ST type but always enviously glanced at the Commodore colour and then the Amiga gfx chip capabilities...but I liked the rubber keys etc

Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qC1G8Q6jwA
This chap is awesome and very interesting in his diagnosis methodology.

Stu
Old 16-03-2020, 01:32 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Thanks for the link Stu
Old 17-03-2020, 11:21 PM
KISSMAD (Bruce)

I love the Amiga. I had an Amiga 500 and a Amiga 2000 with workbench 1.3 and 2.0.

Almost every weekend back in those days, we would get together to play games and trade them. My mate would bring his A512 so that I could have 1meg of ram to play Street Rod.

I subscribed to Megadisc which I love to get. I made a couple of contributions which extended my subscription. Unfortunately it closed about 14 months after I joined.

A couple of years ago I purchased Amiga Forever PC emulator. I was cool to look at the Megadiscs and play Street Rod and Stockmarket again.

If your into the Commodore computer, I recommend these books by Brian Bagnall
Commodore: A Company on the Edge (2010)
Commodore: The Amiga Years (2017)
Commodore: The Final Years (2019)
Old 18-03-2020, 12:47 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Thanks Bruce, appreciated...
Old 18-03-2020, 08:31 AM
bojan
amateur

Good ol' days..
Sir Clive Siclair's ZX81 was my thing.. untill I discovered Apple II (somebody obtained PCB artwork, so... we built couple of them from scratch).

Of really old stuff I have 3 Fujitsu Stylistic 1000... One is running MS DOS and Mel Bartels app for my dob.
Another one is running w'95 (I am using it for reading boooks in bed), third one is spare (battery is dead).

And.. I have couple of NEC PC-8201 computers, all in working condition (but not used). And one Amiga PC (with floppies only).. used very rarely for programming Motorla processors and EPROM's...
Old 18-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

OMG....I had an Amiga 1000, 2000 then finally 2500 with a 68030 (?) accelerator card. I was also writing (moonlighting) for Australian Commodore and Amiga review magazine, and 3D rendered quite a few of the covers for the magazine.

It literally took 24hours to render one frame (at around 4k resolution) for the cover....and if you missed something, you had to back into the wireframe editor, fix it, and wait another day!

The scenes were not that complex when compared to contemporary 3D work, which can now render in realtime....something you'd dream and wonder about back then (very late 1980's)...but is taken for granted today.
Old 28-03-2020, 09:44 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I had an Amiga 2000 - remember hating the filing system display so much I wrote the equivalent of Xtree Gold for it in C - sort of like Windows File Manager over-layed onto DOS. Fun times!
Old 28-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Astrod00d
Lost In SPace

Ah, the Amiga. I still have an Amiga500 in the cupboard, along with a monster 40MB HDD. Yep that's 40MB.
I remember modifying the Amiga500 audio hardware to drive an XY mirror and generate shapes on a wall using a laser. Back then a laser was a glass tube about 300mm long which required several kV at lethal currents to make it go, that's a story in itself...
Old 29-03-2020, 12:28 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Just had my Amiga 4000 re-capped and RTC battery replaced, broken trace repaired as a result of battery leakage. IC that had died, replaced, full test and report on motherboard all for $100.00 Pretty good price I reckon, the guy who did it runs his own business repairing electronics and he is extremely professional, also an Amiga Enthusiast. Does damn good discounts for Amiga repairs. I believe fully working 4000Amiga's can bring a pretty good price, obviously now is not the time to be selling, but hopefully when this all settles down
Old 05-04-2020, 06:24 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Well the crap has hit the fan, the motherboard was posted back to me 9 days ago and the status has gone from we have it to delayed. Which I gather is another name for they don't have a clue where it is. It was due for delivery on Wednesday last week, I submitted a query and heard nothing since. To say I am peeved would be an understatement...Yes it is insured, but these do not exist any more, and my 4000 is useless without a motherboard. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-04-2020, 08:50 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Well the crap has hit the fan, the motherboard was posted back to me 9 days ago and the status has gone from we have it to delayed. Which I gather is another name for they don't have a clue where it is. It was due for delivery on Wednesday last week, I submitted a query and heard nothing since. To say I am peeved would be an understatement...Yes it is insured, but these do not exist any more, and my 4000 is useless without a motherboard. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Sounds like a "Guru Meditation" Pete....

Old 15-04-2020, 12:24 AM
Exfso (Peter)

After Aust Post having no idea where this was, a courier rolled up today with it, so much for tracking and getting Aust Post to investigate. I know it is a real bunfight with the virus stuff happening, but seriously AP were damn useless.
Old 15-04-2020, 03:10 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
After Aust Post having no idea where this was, a courier rolled up today with it, so much for tracking and getting Aust Post to investigate. I know it is a real bunfight with the virus stuff happening, but seriously AP were damn useless.

Hi Peter, I'm glad you've got back your precious Flagship Amiga. Regarding AP tracking, I hold as much regard for that as any denial my 4 yr old Son offers, fingers covered in crumbs, with half the cookie jar contents missing...